PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Permanant Workspace

sirdouglas
October 18th, 2008, 12:33 AM
Hello ubuntu community! I just finished installing Linux (ubuntu ultimate) for the first time and am absolutely loving it. There are some things that take some getting used to, but one thing in particular that I like is playing with the Workspaces. There are some documents that I like to always have open, but on Windows this made my desktop quite cluttered. Now I have random To-do lists in one workspace, my Excel Budget in another one, and then the primary workspace for normal use.

For me, it would be really convenient (maybe I'm just getting lazy) to make some of these workspaces permanent, so that every time I boot up my computer my little To-do notes and my budget pop up in place. It could be a fat chance, but with the seemingly limitless Linux, I thought why not ask. Can workspaces be made permanent?

I appreciate the effort this community puts into helping newbies like me, so thank you so much!

Doug

Chris_Foster
October 18th, 2008, 06:02 AM
I know this is the standard thing to happen in kubuntu, so there is probably a way to do it in ubuntu. Mabye an option menu, or at least someone has developed something. I'm not to familiar with ubuntu so beyond that I cant help you, but there's probably a way to do it.

blackened
October 18th, 2008, 08:15 AM
If you're using compiz, then you can use the compizconfig-settings-manager to place select windows on a specific viewport with "Place Windows" Fixed Window Placement options.

I use viewports as a sortof taskbar replacement with my lower-right screen edge activating expo view. Eliminates me having to look down at the taskbar and click a relatively tiny button when I can just go to expo and pick the window by look alone.

ww711
October 18th, 2008, 01:10 PM
Sounds like you are after saving a session.

If you are using gnome, look in 'System -> Preferences -> Sessions'