PDA

View Full Version : What to do with a free Ipod Nano

Ms_Angel_D
October 18th, 2008, 12:20 AM
Hey guys,

Our bank is sending us a free Ipod nano and I've never had an Ipod anything, I'm thinking of giving it to my 14 yr old son. Anyway I was wondering if anyone could help me with a few questions.

Does Anyone know what kind of Music/video files I can play on it?
If I'm not interested in Itunes, is it basically just a paperweight
Is there possibly firmware for it so I'm not strapped into Itunes

Thanks in advance,
Angel

Joeb454
October 18th, 2008, 12:23 AM
If it's the new 4th Gen Nano, I wouldn't count on it working outside of iTunes just yet.

If it's an option I'd suggest running XP in a virtual machine. You could then configure that to have a shared folder pointing to all the music, and enable USB support.

This is how I manage my music :)

fluteflute
October 18th, 2008, 01:37 PM
If it's a 1st generation Nano then RockBox (http://www.rockbox.org/) is an awesome FOSS firmware.

spupy
October 18th, 2008, 02:20 PM

Weeeell, it wouldn't even work as paperweight. :D

nick09
October 18th, 2008, 02:30 PM
1. If its the 4th gen nano give it to ipodlinux.
2. Sell it on ebay.
3. Dissemble it and learn how it is made.
4. Smash it.

Option 4 is really just for fun.

Polygon
October 18th, 2008, 03:19 PM
ipodlinux is a stupid project in my opinion. Ok, you get linux running on it, what do you do now? You dont even have a real pointing or typing device. Play music? thats already handled with rockbox.

annnnyway, if its the new nano, giving it to your son would be a good present in my opinion, those are pretty nifty.

Flynn555
October 18th, 2008, 04:22 PM
ipodlinux is a stupid project in my opinion. Ok, you get linux running on it, what do you do now? You dont even have a real pointing or typing device.

gameboy/gamegear/nes emulators are always fun...

i also got my 30gig photo to play videos.

but i do agree that it is a little to much trouble for what it's worth. the battery on mine would die within the first 10-15min (on a full charge)

if you had a video ipod or ipod nano video, ipod linux might be worth it...but anything later it puts to much strain on the battery..

Hey guys,

Our bank is sending us a free Ipod nano and I've never had an Ipod anything, I'm thinking of giving it to my 14 yr old son. Anyway I was wondering if anyone could help me with a few questions.

Thanks in advance,
Angel

if i where you i would:
a. use it! they can be really fun and the majority of media players for linux are compatible with it (i use amarok)
b. sell it on ebay...and buy something cool!
c. or if you are not the greedy type ... give it to your son...

P.S. what bank do you use again? i want a free ipod!

plb
October 18th, 2008, 04:39 PM
Christmas is a couple months away...gift it, one less present to buy =)

Ms_Angel_D
October 18th, 2008, 08:40 PM
Hey guys thanks for all the replies, I'm guessing I may give it to my son (He's 14) and I'm sure would enjoy having something listen to his music on. I'm hoping I'll be able to play non-Itunes music on though.

gletob
October 18th, 2008, 08:58 PM
You can buy the music anywhere it just has to be loaded on to the ipod with itunes it's not drag and drop
You can also rip CDs and use them for music.
you can buy music from iTunes but unless you buy the more expensive (plus I think it's called) music then it can only be played on iPods
For MP3 downloads I'd recommend Amazon MP3 It's DRM free and some songs are ten cents cheaper

schauerlich
October 18th, 2008, 09:12 PM
Joeb454 will offer you more free ipods than you would ever want.

Flynn555
October 18th, 2008, 09:31 PM
I'm hoping I'll be able to play non-Itunes music on though.

you should...i manage my ipod completely itunes free...

amarok in linux and winamp in windows. ;)

another alternative for both windows and linux is mozilla songbird.

gletob
October 18th, 2008, 09:46 PM
you should...i manage my ipod completely itunes free...

amarok in linux and winamp in windows. ;)

another alternative for both windows and linux is mozilla songbird.

Really?
Would that work for one of the new Ipod Touches

Flynn555
October 19th, 2008, 12:44 AM
i dont know ... mine is an older model (photo) so i dont know what the support is for the new touches...i would research it. i dont see why it wouldnt work...and if they arnt supported i cant imagine that it would be long before someone developed a plugin or something.

Ms_Angel_D
October 21st, 2008, 10:20 PM
Well we got the Ipod via fedex today, it's an 8gb 4th gen. I plugged it in and Rhythmbox opened right up. But every time I try to drag a song to it, Rhythmbox crashes. Now here's the thing, I apparently managed to put one song on it but according to the Ipod there is nothing on it. However whenever I plug it in to the computer the song I (attempted to) copy begins playing in Rhythmbox. Exaile tell me

Error connecting to iPod. Make sure you specify the right mount point in the plugin configuration Which I've done repeatedly.

Any Ideas anyone?

Thanks,
Angel

bsharp
October 21st, 2008, 10:47 PM
Install gtkpod (in the repositories), it's what I use and it's very good.

Ms_Angel_D
October 21st, 2008, 10:52 PM
Hey I got it working with Amarok, btw I did install gtkpod and now it seems to work :D

Joeb454
October 21st, 2008, 11:08 PM
Hey I got it working with Amarok, btw I did install gtkpod and now it seems to work :D

Yay! \o/

I didn't know if the 4th gen Nano's were supported yet

lincoln32
October 21st, 2008, 11:20 PM
Using i tunes software i converted all songs to i pod format ( took a long time) and then found that it worked even better on ubuntu aramok you can even play tune on ipod thru ubuntu

Ms_Angel_D
October 21st, 2008, 11:22 PM
P.S. what bank do you use again? i want a free ipod!

Sorry Flynn I must have missed this question the first time, It's Key Bank, I don't know if they are still giving them away or not?