PDA

View Full Version : All torrents are illegal...?

Kralizec
October 17th, 2008, 07:39 PM
I received an infraction notification from Rocket2DMn for suggesting someone look on a torrent site for a trial version of a piece of software: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=5983399#post5983399

I in no way suggested illegally downloading the entire software package, merely the trial version as requested by the OP of the thread. I feel that this suggests all torrenting is illegal, which shocks me since one of the major ways Ubuntu is distributed is via torrenting.

LaRoza
October 17th, 2008, 07:49 PM
To contest the infraction, please use the Resolution Centre.

For the question, legal torrents are legal, of course. However, just because something doesn't cost anything doesn't mean it is free. Trial software is usually just as restrictive as the full version, and obtaining it from anywhere other than the official source is not allowed usually.

Kralizec
October 17th, 2008, 07:54 PM
Thank you for pointing me towards the correct place to contest the infraction.

kevdog
October 17th, 2008, 08:59 PM
Hmmm, In my experience TRIAL software has been always free. Although TRIAL is not totally synonymous with FREE, it usually is very close.

just because something doesn't cost anything doesn't mean it is free

I would beg to differ with this statement. No cost = free != without user restrictions/licensing/distribution/etc.

LaRoza
October 17th, 2008, 09:13 PM
I would beg to differ with this statement. No cost = free != without user restrictions/licensing/distribution/etc.

Then that is not free ;)

Joeb454
October 17th, 2008, 11:47 PM
Thread closed, as the OP started a thread in the Resolution Center :)