PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] general performance question: RAM, SWAP, or Processor issue?

iansane
October 17th, 2008, 05:26 PM
Hi,

I'm trying to figure out a minor issue I've had lately.

A few days ago I learned I could just use the "cp" command to copy a DVD.

I did

cp /dev/scd1 /home/me/Desktop/dvd.iso

It worked but afterwards nothing worked right and in trying to move, edit, or copy a file I got a error that the disk was full. I knew this was wrong. I had about 60 gigs left on a 80 gig drive. After a reboot the problem went away.

So, I'm thinking that it was RAM that was full and the temp files from doing the copy didn't get removed after the operation. Rebooting cleared RAM and the SWAP partition? Not sure what the issue was.

Then today, I tried converting an avi to mp4 useing avidemux. It worked but during the process I lost the desktop icons and all functionality as if the processor was maxed out. But it wasn't. It was only running at half capacity according to my monitor applet. The applet appears to be working and I don't think it's a processor issue because right now I have my dual cores maxed out running a XP virtual machine, converting a video file on XP, using transmission, evolution, and posting here all at the same time.

So I guess the question is, Is it RAM, processor or SWAP issue? And is doing my converting on the virtual machine actually keeping my host from maxing out and crashing?

By the way, I have 2.20Ghz dual core AMD and 2 Gig RAM

Thanks