PDA

View Full Version : Good games working on linux?

crazyfuturamanoob
October 17th, 2008, 05:13 PM
I'm bored.

I have been looking, but found nothing interesting yet. So I want a good game that runs on linux.

I am looking for first person shooters and RTS games. Would somebody post me a list of games?

I tried some games that work on linux. Most of them suck:
-America's Army, Gameplay is too slow and I hate that propaganda stuff. This game is annoying.
-Tremulous, Graphics are so bad they hurt my eyes. And gameplay sucks too.
-WarZone2100, Not bad, but a bit better graphics and slightly faster gameplay would make it worth playing.
-Scorched3D, a good game but needs more servers and players.
-Nexuiz, OK graphics but gameplay still sucks.

So I want at least better graphics than those 1990's graphics. And addictive, working gameplay, like soldat or cs 1.6.

Think I am a bit too choosy?

fatality_uk
October 17th, 2008, 05:58 PM
I have a feeling that no matter what I mention, such as Enemy Territory Quake Wars or UT you won't like them. So instead i suggest digging through here http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=93

There are SO many games in all genres for Linux.

taqkavar
October 17th, 2008, 06:21 PM
Best I have ran on linux would be:

Quake Wars: Enemy Territory ( Runs natively )
Command and Conquer: Tiberium Wars ( wine, a little degraded performance )
Urban Terror ( Aged graphics, Multilayer FPS, runs natively )
HL2, CS:S, Portal, TF2 ( Anything based on Source engine works, with degraded performance, via wine )
Unreal Tournament 2004 ( Runs naitively )

crazyfuturamanoob
October 17th, 2008, 06:27 PM
I actually have ET:QW on dvd.

But I don't like shooters where you gotta be shooting and shooting and waiting for your enemy to die.
I like more cs:source and cod4 like gameplay, where only 1 or 2 hits kill.

joninkrakow
October 17th, 2008, 07:07 PM
So I want at least better graphics than those 1990's graphics. And addictive, working gameplay, like soldat or cs 1.6.

Yes. Since you have rejected mid-90s graphics, you have cut yourself out of probably one of the best-playing games available. You probably know Halo. Marathon was spiritual predecessor to Halo by Bungie. Like Halo, it's a trilogy, also like Halo, it is a first-person shooter. Unlike Halo, it's open source now (was open-sourced when Bungie got bought out by Microsoft. The source is called "alephone".

You can find a rpm for it on the source's web site, http://source.bungie.org. You will need alien to convert it to a deb file. Don't forget to download at least the first scenario--Marathon.

Unfortunately, it can be a bit complicated to get alephone running. When you first try to run alephone, you will get errors. I use "apt-cache search" in the terminal to search for the library that was the source of the complaint. You will need to do this a few times before you will finally get alephone to run. When you try to run it, don't forget to add the path to the game files you downloaded.

You seriously ought to set aside your pickiness and try alephone. ;-) I'm sure that you will find Marathon a satisfying game to play. IMO, it has the best story of any game from its era, and better than most today, in fact. Just don't go to the marathon.bungie.org/story/ web page before you play--it contains spoilers--no, on other hand, they aren't real spoilers, but give you a sense of the depth of the game's story. :-)

-Jon

(and apologies to all who are tired of me pushing this game every time games come up.) ;-)

DougieFresh4U
October 17th, 2008, 07:12 PM
I'm bored.

I have been looking, but found nothing interesting yet. So I want a good game that runs on linux.

I am looking for first person shooters and RTS games. Would somebody post me a list of games?

I tried some games that work on linux. Most of them suck:
-America's Army, Gameplay is too slow and I hate that propaganda stuff. This game is annoying.
-Tremulous, Graphics are so bad they hurt my eyes. And gameplay sucks too.
-WarZone2100, Not bad, but a bit better graphics and slightly faster gameplay would make it worth playing.
-Scorched3D, a good game but needs more servers and players.
-Nexuiz, OK graphics but gameplay still sucks.

Try this
http://www.happypenguin.org/

Bölvağur
October 17th, 2008, 09:57 PM
warsow : fast pace shooter (very fast), there is a mod called ica that is railguns only.. that is 1 shot 1 kill, it is very good gameplay, worth the download

spring : total anhilation in 3d. well it was the best strategic game ever made.