PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] Some questions about "System-->Preferences-->Sessions" and commands.

AreonEpta
October 17th, 2008, 04:54 PM
I have a unique request. I'd like to know how to get certain programs to start (using Sessions) in different virtual desktops, and some maximized, minimized, or in the taskbar. I, unfortunately am noob to this kind of thing, so I'd like some hand holding.

What are the arguments to pass to the programs when I want to throw them into Sessions?

I'm trying to do the following:
Terminal Fullscreen with menubar hidden in Workspace 4
KTorrent Open in taskbar (complete)
Pidgin Open in taskbar (complete)
Rhythmbox Open in Workstation 2
and anything else I come up with later, so general info would be cool.

Thanks in advance!

AreonEpta
October 17th, 2008, 05:36 PM
Bump, because Jeebus loves you.

AreonEpta
October 18th, 2008, 06:16 AM
Bump cause of cancer.

AreonEpta
October 18th, 2008, 08:09 PM
Bump for great justice.

AreonEpta
October 20th, 2008, 02:59 AM
mega bump

loomsen
October 20th, 2008, 05:17 AM
Launch $anycmd --help in a terminal to get all possible values.

You may set window rules for different windows in compiz, like placing them, undecorated, skiping taskbar......... Window placement plugin.

Plus, you gotta create different profiles for i.e. your 4th terminal, where you want the menubar. Most programs may be launched with --title= as option.

as I said

foo_bar --help

Pidgin btw has a slight other RegExMatching, they define different ROLEs for different windows, so make sure you filter pidgin windows by role.

Your turn now :)

AreonEpta
October 21st, 2008, 04:38 AM
Launch $anycmd --help in a terminal to get all possible values.

You may set window rules for different windows in compiz, like placing them, undecorated, skiping taskbar......... Window placement plugin.

Plus, you gotta create different profiles for i.e. your 4th terminal, where you want the menubar. Most programs may be launched with --title= as option.

as I said

foo_bar --help

Pidgin btw has a slight other RegExMatching, they define different ROLEs for different windows, so make sure you filter pidgin windows by role.

Your turn now :)

Okay, cool. That kinda helps. Now where would I get this "window placement plugin" for compiz? Got a link for me? An official name? And what does "--title=" do? Select the virtual desktop? Elaboration on the whole thing would be great.