PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Suspend and Hibernate gone after upgrade to 8.10

jdfoote
October 17th, 2008, 02:54 PM
Ever since I upgraded my 8.04 install to Intrepid Ibex, the suspend and hibernate options have disappeared.

Any ideas about why, or how to get them back?

smylie
October 18th, 2008, 09:07 PM
Yup - disappeared on my laptop too. Guess that's why it's a beta =)

I'll log a bug report for it, but in the interim, you can suspend by using the command pm-suspend from a terminal.

(And probably by pushing your computers suspend button if it has one)

brianfreytag
October 18th, 2008, 09:26 PM
Go to System -> Shutdown

You'll find those options right there. They aren't there when you click your name at the top right.

Enjoy.

XMAG
November 10th, 2008, 09:15 PM
System > Shutdown does not show the suspend option, the 3 options it shows are Shutdown Restart and Hibernate.

http://www.dedoimedo.com/images/computers/ubuntu-8.10-shutdown-2.jpg

The dropdown menu from User Switch shows these 3 and Logout, but not Suspend

Where did it go?????????????????????????

smylie
November 10th, 2008, 09:32 PM
I believe ubuntu removes the suspend option if it doesn't think it will work on your laptop.

I'm not sure how to get it back, (other than maybe rebooting to see if it was a temporary glitch), but you can at least test if it's working by calling it manually from a terminal/console:

$ sudo pm-suspend

Cheers
Dave Smylie

XMAG
November 10th, 2008, 09:39 PM
I'm on a Desktop here, but maybe that's it, because the command does nothing to my computer

smylie
November 10th, 2008, 09:49 PM
Whoops. Desktop/laptop .. . should be able to suspend both provided they're not ancient...

Cheers
Dave Smylie

XMAG
November 10th, 2008, 09:56 PM
My motherboard is ASUS P4XP-X and the CPU a Pentium 4 1.8Ghz

smylie
November 10th, 2008, 10:28 PM
did you try pm-suspend from a console?

XMAG
November 10th, 2008, 10:50 PM
yes, from a root shell and with sudo, neither worked

smylie
November 10th, 2008, 10:52 PM
didn't work as in, no command found? or didn't work as it ran, tried to suspend, but failed?

If it's the latter, I suspect you've found the reason that suspend isn't present on the list...

XMAG
November 10th, 2008, 10:57 PM
no, it simply does nothing, no command not found message and nothing happens, i just get a new shell prompt

smylie
November 10th, 2008, 11:06 PM
Sounds like it's the latter (suspend failing).

Not promising - but you could take a look at /var/log/pm-suspend.log and you might get some clue as to what's going on.

Cheers
Dave Smylie