PDA

View Full Version : The wait for Intrepid

ericesque
October 17th, 2008, 01:18 PM
So we're a little over halfway through October. How are you passing the time before Ibex hits?

Ms_Angel_D
October 17th, 2008, 01:23 PM
I'm just biding my time until a week or so after release, I want to let the download servers cool down before I download.

Solicitous
October 17th, 2008, 01:26 PM
I had installed Intrepid at alpha 5...other than a minor issue with the kernel it was running at the stage (been updated since and problems gone away) everything has been smooth. So as far as I am concerned Intrepid is stable enough for me, so no more wait I guess :)

ItsManaged
October 17th, 2008, 01:33 PM
I'm waiting, will try, but no guarantees I'll use it in production. 8.04.1 is very good, so would take quite a bit to shift me from the LTS carrot. I'm more interested in trying out other distros from what I have read so far about Intrepid.

jespdj
October 17th, 2008, 01:35 PM
Sticking with Hardy at the moment, but I do have Intrepid beta installed in a VirtualBox virtual machine to check it out.

I am not going to install it immediately when it comes out, because I need my computer for serious stuff. I don't want to risk having a non-working computer. I'll wait a few weeks to see if there are any serious bugs or other problems. If there are no serious problems I'll install it.

t0p
October 17th, 2008, 01:39 PM
I've got hardy on my desktop machine. I spent absolutely ages on tweaking and sdjusting and getting it just right. And it's a Long Term Support edition. So I'm planning to stick with hardy for maybe 18 months or so.

I will probably put Intrepid on my Eeepc, when the tweak-scripts are released. But I'm in no rush to do this. At the moment I'm enjoying the fact that my computers are working fine, and I have no wish to change that. For the moment anyway - I'm an incessant tweaker and fiddler, so something will change. Eventually.

SupaSonic
October 17th, 2008, 01:47 PM
Hardy for now. Will upgrade some time in November when things calm down. I remember the countless 'HARDY IS THE WORST UBUNTU EVAR' threads. No reason it won't be the same with Interpid )

mick222
October 17th, 2008, 01:50 PM
I installed the beta apart from ati drivers which only became available a couple of days ago everything seems great

Sealbhach
October 17th, 2008, 02:11 PM
I installed the Beta but the keyboard and mouse didn't work at the login screen so I went back to Hardy.

Will wait for the update deluge in the first few weeks to subside and then will try again.

aktiwers
October 17th, 2008, 02:16 PM
Im on beta 64bit..
Seams pretty stable with some crash reports here and there.

DarkDancer
October 17th, 2008, 07:13 PM
I will wait till the first or second day of the RC Download and install. It's what I usually do. Hoping it will fix some annoyances I've had with Hardy for the last 6 months.

ounas
October 17th, 2008, 07:20 PM
Installed on the 2nd Linux box
:popcorn:

cardinals_fan
October 17th, 2008, 07:25 PM
Sticking with Dapper here.

spoons
October 17th, 2008, 07:32 PM
Intrepid is much better than Hardy. No more sound problems! It's hung once (no kernel panic) although I'm suspicious that it was fglrx that caused it. I haven't checked whether they've updated WINE, but MS Train Simulator now runs through that, with some minor graphics glitches but it's an improvement. Gnash 0.8.4 works great!

It's surprising though that the BETA Intrepid is better than the final Hardy. Hardy was a mess IMO, intrepid is not.

blackened
October 17th, 2008, 07:38 PM
Intrepid is much better than Hardy...

It's surprising though that the BETA Intrepid is better than the final Hardy. Hardy was a mess IMO, intrepid is not.

Agreed, I never even bother booting into Hardy on my laptop anymore, but head straight to Intrepid.

Canis familiaris
October 17th, 2008, 07:39 PM
Wow! After a long time I am really noticing so many positive feedbacks for a Beta Release of an Ubuntu Release. Kudos!

rzrgenesys187
October 17th, 2008, 07:42 PM
I would have the beta installed but when I ran it last my sound seemed a little less clear then it is now. I'll have to try the livecd again and actually confirm it

snova
October 17th, 2008, 07:48 PM
I'm waiting for the official release, then I'm going to attack the servers. I downloaded an alpha a while back to see what KDE 4 looked like, but that was just for fun (and runs terribly in a virtual machine).

As long as this discussion exists, a few quick questions:

All the lines in /etc/apt/sources.list begin with us.archive.ubuntu.com. How bad do the local mirrors get?
There's supposed to be a way to update via BitTorrent. I installed everything that looked like it was involved with it a while ago, but how do I actually use it? I installed these packages:

apt-transport-debtorrent
debtorrent

By the looks of it, all I need to do is edit sources.list slightly. Any input? Because given the number of people that will be updating, this might be worthwhile, at least for the initial download. (Assuming enough people use them, that is.)

ericesque
October 17th, 2008, 08:10 PM
Well, since I started the thread, I suppose it's time to chime in - wanted to give some others a chance to voice their opinions first.

I voted keeping tabs on beta reviews. I'm leaning toward staying with Hardy. Unlike the (seeming) majority, Hardy has been a fantasticly
stable release for me. The updates in Intrepid aren't hugely appealing to me. My linux box is a desktop so the wireless improvements
won't impact my experience. Tabbed Nautilus is nice, but I'm not likely to make significant use of it. The SAMBA fixes are the most
enticing, but I really feel like I can wait at this point.

If people rave about it, I'll give it a shot- but not before imaging my current install. I'm quite 'at home' right now :KS

kspncr
October 17th, 2008, 08:13 PM
I've been wanting to at least try the live CD of the beta, but so far all my attempts have been bad downloads. I may just end up waiting for the final release, but I have to admit I'm excited.

Paqman
October 17th, 2008, 08:55 PM
For anyone with Intel e1000e network hardware who's holding off installing the beta, you can go for it. It's all been sorted.

Personally, i'm not overly impressed with the Intrepid beta. I've been getting a lot of crashes from python, Compiz Fusion needs a boot in the rear to start properly, and suspend was very iffy until a few days ago. I'm sure it's all going to sorted before launch, but it's been pretty ropey on my system so far.

Tamlynmac
October 17th, 2008, 09:12 PM
I'm waiting for at least the first update and even then will decide based on reactions in the forum. Previously, I've installed immediately upon release and have been extremely fortunate regarding functionality. This time I'll wait and watch.

Hardy has been fairly stable and is now installed on all 5 of our systems. My plan is to upgrade them one at a time and wait a few days in between. To assure each system is fully operational...

Of course this is contingent on my families patience. :smile:

seatex
October 17th, 2008, 09:22 PM
Could not resist, and I've been using Intrepid since Alpha 6.

I kept hearing the voices in my head. :lolflag:

Old_Grey_Wolf
October 17th, 2008, 10:12 PM
I will continue to use Hardy for my main computer needs. I have Intrepid beta installed on an external USB hard drive in order to check it out. When Hardy came out, I installed it on the first day. Since Hardy has been so stable on my computers, I will not rush to replace Hardy with Intrepid on all of my computers. I will read the forum, and make a decision after it has been out for a few weeks. I like having stable computers.

Sinkingships7
October 17th, 2008, 10:15 PM
I've been using Windows XP only since October 1st. My reasoning behind this is that once Intrepid comes out, I want to be reminded just how amazing Linux really is. So I thought that by forcing myself to leave Linux, and come back to Intrepid upon reentry, I'd really see just what I was missing, and fall in love all over again. :)

pacrep
October 17th, 2008, 10:17 PM
Staying with 8.04 as with other posters took me a while for me to get my system the way I want it.

nick09
October 17th, 2008, 10:20 PM
I will stick with hardy for now as this PC runs very good for being 4 years old with less than 1GB of ram.

myusername
October 17th, 2008, 10:54 PM
i will wait a month or two after the release to try it. but arch so far hasnt given me any troubles

CrazyArcher
October 17th, 2008, 11:10 PM
I'm a Linux Mint user, running Elyssa (which is based on Hardy) right now. I'm curious to try Felicia out, when it's released, or maybe a few weeks later.

david_lynch
October 17th, 2008, 11:24 PM
I've got intrepid on my laptop - it's sharp, works quite well with all native drivers, and power consumption is less than with hardy.

Of course, my servers will stay on hardy for the forseeable future.

starcannon
October 17th, 2008, 11:43 PM
Hardy is working so nicely for me that I won't likely move to intrepid. Think I'm going to cruise from LTS to LTS.

OutOfReach
October 17th, 2008, 11:45 PM
Overall Intrepid has been good for me (I have the BETA installed). I've been using it since Alpha 1 and I have seen a big improvement, in early Alphas my wireless didn't work and Compiz didn't work either. But everything is running smoothly now and I cannot wait until the final version.

I may or may not move from Hardy to Intrepid, because Hardy has worked so well for me too.

doorknob60
October 17th, 2008, 11:53 PM
Arch :) I gave Alpha 6 a shot a while ago and it was nice, but Arch is better :)

Dvorakis
October 18th, 2008, 12:04 AM
I tried the beta of Ibex...and the wireless would not for the hell of me work.
I can't tell why.

ericesque
October 18th, 2008, 03:08 AM
Not to get too side tracked, but for those of us planning on hanging onto Hardy, does anyone know what features we'll miss out on? I mean, if the improved wireless is actually due to a new version of network manager-- wouldn't a Hardy network manager update yield the same benefits? I guess for me the SAMBA updates are more important so I should have used that as an example...

thoughts?

kk0sse54
October 18th, 2008, 04:09 AM
I got Intrepid beta out and it's working fine for me but I really don't see any reason to switch from Hardy. There's no new features that I'm totally psyched about and there hasn't been a difference in performance.

Twitch6000
October 18th, 2008, 04:13 AM
I am on beta and everything works great except... no GUI lol.

No big deal though as I have PClinuxOS08 and Windows Vista to work with aswell :).

kk0sse54
October 18th, 2008, 04:15 AM
I am on beta and everything works great except... no GUI lol.

No big deal GUI is for wimps anyways :-D

niccholaspage
October 18th, 2008, 05:00 AM
I think my Desktop And Laptop will be upgraded. My laptop first though because I don't know if NVIDIA drivers work with Intrepid.

motang
October 18th, 2008, 08:33 AM
I got the Beta on my notebook and it's excellent. I have a sweet setup with Dark Rooms theme and GNOME-Human icons set with the default Ibex wallpaper which goes very well with the dark theme...loving it! :-D

I will stick with Hardy on my main Desktop for sometime (maybe till 9.04...might be lying on this one don't quote me ;-) ), as it works well and it's stable. I also have Xubuntu 8.10 Alpha 5 which is now Beta after all the updates running on my EeeBox and it's works great, much better than Ubuntu 8.10 Beta IMO!

samjh
October 18th, 2008, 10:13 AM
I installed the beta yesterday, after trying it on Virtualbox first. Surprisingly stable!

Rinzwind
October 18th, 2008, 10:18 AM
I voted 'tabs' and than started reading the replies...
Now I have intrepid downloading. Going to have a go installing it on my notebook :D

amac777
October 18th, 2008, 11:35 AM
I'm still happily using Gutsy on my main computer.
(I do have Hardy installed on my file server but only because support for Feisty ran out...)

zool2005
October 18th, 2008, 02:13 PM
I upgraded to the latest beta earlier today and it seems very stable so far. It seems more responsive than Hardy, OOO loads more quickly and I'm sure the guest account will come in handy.
I wasn't very impressed with Hardy even after much tweaking and it still seemed sluggish.
As others have said, there are no major changes but it just "feels" better!

scouser73
October 19th, 2008, 09:24 AM
I upgraded to the latest beta earlier today and it seems very stable so far. It seems more responsive than Hardy, OOO loads more quickly and I'm sure the guest account will come in handy.
I wasn't very impressed with Hardy even after much tweaking and it still seemed sluggish.
As others have said, there are no major changes but it just "feels" better!

I'll agree that it feels better, because it actually does, I've had the beta for a week and a half, 1 crash report, I'm making sure I have all the necessary updates installed, and if I didn't know this was a beta, I would have said it was the finished article. Openoffice 3 is fast loading too.

quinnten83
October 19th, 2008, 10:06 AM
I tried the live CD yesterday and seeing my wacom bamboo fun tablet working without having to compile a new driver and doing other ridiculously complicated crap, brought a tear to my eye.
I didn't even care that there might be other problems.
Now, if they managed to let it work on my system without the frequent freeze-lockups, I shall worship the Ibex forever.

mrgnash
October 19th, 2008, 01:09 PM
Been using Intrepid for awhile now. It runs great for me (this is not a recommendation to newbies).

billgoldberg
October 19th, 2008, 01:24 PM
So we're a little over halfway through October. How are you passing the time before Ibex hits?

Been on the beta for a few days now.

Loving it!

I only had one problem, see bug 285682 (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/285682).

If anyone cares to read it and offer a solution, that would be great.

kspncr
October 20th, 2008, 12:59 AM
Finally got a successful download of the intrepid beta. I'm writing this message on the live Cd on my laptop. Feels pretty nice so far, but I think I'll stick with Hardy until Intrepid's final release, then dual-boot Hardy and Intrepid to see which I like better. I mean, I have wireless and everything working and set up exactly how I like it, and I'd hate to have to start over right away. Yeah, I'll dual boot that way I still have Hardy set up how I like it as I customize Intrepid to the way I like it.

ericesque
October 20th, 2008, 01:07 AM
The poll stats are interesting at this point. It seems pretty even for those installing the Beta versus just watching the reviews. Seems a fair number of people plan on just sticking with their current version... and then 8 people think they're funny :)

Lerxst51
October 20th, 2008, 01:08 AM
Just waiting for the final release to hit, apart from testing the beta on Live CD.

buntunub
October 20th, 2008, 01:08 AM
Im beta testing Kubuntu (KDE4) Intrepid via a WUBI install and I must say, it really is surprisingly good! There ARE some bugs, but so far, most of them are pretty minor and I think mostly related to KDE4 more than anything else. Really looking forward to see how the Kubuntu team handles the release.

elmer_42
October 20th, 2008, 01:58 AM
I voted Intrepid-what because I have recently switched to Arch. I'm sure Intrepid (has there every been an Ubuntu adjective with 3 syllables?) is going to be amazing and stuff, but I wanted to try out Arch. And now that I've tried, I'm enjoying it thoroughly.

jimi_hendrix
October 20th, 2008, 02:00 AM
i have intrepid beta on live cd (not installed yet) if i install it when it hits the 30th will i just be able to get an upgrade from the manager and be all updated and stuff or do i need to re-reinstall?

evilkastel
October 20th, 2008, 02:11 AM
I'll wait for the Live CD in shipit to arrive, then I'll installit, by thenn the most critical updates should have been fixed.

Nostalos
October 20th, 2008, 03:14 AM
On the Beta. Changes in Network Manager for tethered intarwebbing makes it impossible for me to now live without.

d_skillz
October 20th, 2008, 04:02 AM
Installed the beta, seemed to fix a critical issue I have with my sony vaio, whenever I boot up I have to disable gui boot (acpi error). That was a real hassle. It also seems much speedier, overall pleased with the progress made gonna get it on the release date. Looking forward for the LTS tooo.