PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Upgrading to 8.04 questions

petros85
October 17th, 2008, 12:42 PM
I still use the 7.10 and I think it's time to upgrade.Here's a few questions

1.I just installed openoffice 3.Will the upgrade bring me back to 2.4?
2.Will i lose my firefox data? (bookmarks,addons etc)
3.I know it will not affect data like my movies but what about apps?Will i have to reinstall lots of them ? (ex. vlc,amarok,thunderbird)

Partyboi2
October 17th, 2008, 12:55 PM
I still use the 7.10 and I think it's time to upgrade.Here's a few questions

1.I just installed openoffice 3.Will the upgrade bring me back to 2.4?
2.Will i lose my firefox data? (bookmarks,addons etc)
3.I know it will not affect data like my movies but what about apps?Will i have to reinstall lots of them ? (ex. vlc,amarok,thunderbird)
You shouldn't lose any bookmarks, or addons, with your apps like vlc and thunderbird they will be upgrade to the version that is in the hardy repo's.
But backup your data before upgrading (good practice)

Archmage
October 17th, 2008, 12:59 PM
All software that you install "the Ubuntu way" will be update to the version that is in Hardy. The rest should remain the same.

petros85
October 18th, 2008, 09:03 AM
OK i upgraded and everything went smoothly.I was afraid it might affect my grub menu ( ihave vista dual boot) but it didnt.It just seems kind of strange that it shows 3 ubuntu systems (with their recovery) and my vista.I dont know what those extra 2 are.

Oh and it did uninstall openoffice 3 and installed 2.4. That was kind of stupid.Redownloading now.

lightstream
October 18th, 2008, 09:11 AM
OK i upgraded and everything went smoothly.I was afraid it might affect my grub menu ( ihave vista dual boot) but it didnt.It just seems kind of strange that it shows 3 ubuntu systems (with their recovery) and my vista.I dont know what those extra 2 are.

They are most probably for the kernel that comes with Hardy. You need to be careful that you choose the Hardy kernel on the grub menu, otherwise you may end up running an older kernel which will cause odd, hard-to-track problems here and there.