PDA

View Full Version : The new iGoogle

init1
October 17th, 2008, 12:02 PM
I found yesterday that Google has changed their iGoogle page. It loads signifigantly slower than the previous version in Iceweasel (about 5 seconds), and it wastes screen space by having a thick margin for tabs. Hopefully they will make the classic look availible again.

billgoldberg
October 17th, 2008, 12:03 PM
I found yesterday that Google has changed their iGoogle page. It loads signifigantly slower than the previous version in Iceweasel (about 5 seconds), and it wastes screen space by having a thick margin for tabs. Hopefully they will make the classic look availible again.

It looks great and loads faster for me.

I especially like how the gmail "applet" integrates with igoogle now.

Joeb454
October 17th, 2008, 12:11 PM
I've not noticed any difference, perhaps I'll have to wait a little longer because I'm in the UK

Paqman
October 17th, 2008, 12:37 PM
Hopefully they will make the classic look availible again.

I'm still using the Classic theme on mine (as are 76,121,127 other people, according to the theme site). I'm also in the UK.

forrestcupp
October 17th, 2008, 12:51 PM
I don't hate it, but I don't necessarily like having the menu on the left containing things that are already right there on my screen. It doesn't really seem useful to me.

I voted "indifferent" because I don't hate it or like it. I'm probably slightly on the side of not liking it.

Eclipse.
October 17th, 2008, 01:36 PM
I love the way the gmail applet is now integrated into it.As for loading its about the same with me.

jespdj
October 17th, 2008, 01:39 PM
The only difference I saw is that the clock now looks different and the borders on the "applets" look slightly different. I don't see "a thick margin for tabs". I don't notice any difference in loading speed (using FF3).

aschwerin.moses
October 17th, 2008, 01:47 PM
i lost all my notes.. they are all blank :'(

Northsider
October 17th, 2008, 03:59 PM
Meh, it's getting a little cluttered...but overall I don't care.

zachtib
October 17th, 2008, 04:05 PM
I'm not sure what I think of it yet... the load time is a bit annoying, but it does give you a little more information down the side and in RSS feeds.

I'll have to use it for a little while before I can make a judgment

vishzilla
October 17th, 2008, 05:14 PM
using it for the last one month.. love the gmail integration

init1
October 17th, 2008, 10:09 PM
The only difference I saw is that the clock now looks different and the borders on the "applets" look slightly different. I don't see "a thick margin for tabs". I don't notice any difference in loading speed (using FF3).
There's about an inch of wasted space where the arrow is pointing

I'm not sure what I think of it yet... the load time is a bit annoying, but it does give you a little more information down the side and in RSS feeds.

I'll have to use it for a little while before I can make a judgment
The I find the RSS preview annoying, since I have to scroll a lot more to see everything.

jeyaganesh
October 17th, 2008, 11:57 PM
But igoogle.co.uk is not changed yet. I love igoogle.com, esp gmail integration. Great.

snova
October 18th, 2008, 12:09 AM
I don't like it. There's a thing on the left that has information about the tab, which just takes up space.

That, and I've somehow managed to make the page several feet long with nothing in it, makes it quite annoying.

smartboyathome
October 18th, 2008, 12:57 AM
I don't see that new iGoogle layout, and I am on iGoogle.com. Tried clearing cache, changing theme, everything.

LookTJ
October 18th, 2008, 01:09 AM
I don't see that new iGoogle layout, and I am on iGoogle.com. Tried clearing cache, changing theme, everything.Refresh router's DNS cache, if not. It might be your DNS servers(like your ISP).

smartboyathome
October 18th, 2008, 01:38 AM
Refresh router's DNS cache, if not. It might be your DNS servers(like your ISP).

OpenDNS could be causing this? That is whom I use for a DNS server since Comcast sucks imo.

init1
October 18th, 2008, 03:22 AM
OpenDNS could be causing this? That is whom I use for a DNS server since Comcast sucks imo.
Yeah, I believe that you are viewing OpenDNS's cached version. Not quite sure how to fix that though.

frankleeee
October 18th, 2008, 03:39 AM
I hate it for the left side already showing information. It would hardly load on FF2 in gutsy, which made me search for the ubuntuzilla auto install of FF3 in the Gutsy dist. I am happy to have FF3 with the plugins I had already installed in FF2.