PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Problems after updating

kaldor
October 17th, 2008, 11:17 AM
I have been using Ubuntu since 7.10

I have always loved it because it has been stable.

I would never get ANY problems at all after I reformatted my hard drive 6 weeks ago. None.

But sadly, Ubuntu in the worst state I have ever seen it. It is unusable. After I installed updates (kernel I think) things are gone insane.

Here is a list of what happens regularly to me now:

1) Flash does not work and sound goes
2) Sometimes, sound will just randomly shut off and I would need to reboot to fix it
3) I have had to use Failsafe Gnome log in 3 times due to being greeted by a black screen when I log in
4) Sometimes when I open a picture, the image viewer freezes and needs to be forced to quit
5) Sometimes firefox randomly closes out and will not start again. Again, I need to reboot to fix this problem
6) about 50% of the time I press the Quit button, everything freezes
7) Sometimes when I am browsing the net/folders, Letters start to get jumbled up and everything overlaps.
8 ) Sometimes I get logged out (even if I am not using a program) and returned to the log in screen

What caused all of these problems so suddenly? I was 100% fine, now everything has failed so horribly. :(

Idefix82
October 17th, 2008, 11:26 AM
The recent updates have caused quite a lot of havoc to some people. Have you still got the option of booting into the old kernel? If not, then you can add it to your /boot/grub/menu.lst and work with the -19 kernel for the time being. I am sure there will be a patched release of the new kernel soon.

kaldor
October 17th, 2008, 11:29 AM
Ahh, that must be it. In that case I will wait a couple of more days, and then I shall see where it goes then.