PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Linux that doesn't need boot loader?

rotaryfan
October 17th, 2008, 05:24 AM
I would like to know if there is any linux that doesn't need a boot loader. I can think of micro OS' like splashtop where there isn't any obvious boot loader, and on the eee, xandros has been shown to boot incredibly fast after modification of the software.

I would really like to have a full featured OS that can boot in 10-15 seconds. compiz and other candy isn't necessary.
I have a desktop with Q6600, 3gb ram at 667mhz, dual 7200rpm hdd's, MSI Nvidia GeForce 9600GT, an eHomeWonder tuner, and I have a netgear b/g card that is supported in most or all distros that I've tried.

cariboo
October 17th, 2008, 08:03 AM
Most of those quick loading version are loaded off of a eeprom, and not from any type of rewriteable media. Similar to the way Microsoft Basic was loaded in the IBM XT back in the late 80's

Jim

Herman
October 17th, 2008, 10:29 AM
and on the eee, xandros has been shown to boot incredibly fast after modification of the software. My wife's EeePC boots with GRUB, it was like that from the factory, but it uses the 'hiddenmenu' command so the GRUB menu doesn't show.

rakris
October 17th, 2008, 10:38 AM
I would like to know if there is any linux that doesn't need a boot loader. I can think of micro OS' like splashtop where there isn't any obvious boot loader, and on the eee, xandros has been shown to boot incredibly fast after modification of the software.

I would really like to have a full featured OS that can boot in 10-15 seconds. compiz and other candy isn't necessary.
I have a desktop with Q6600, 3gb ram at 667mhz, dual 7200rpm hdd's, MSI Nvidia GeForce 9600GT, an eHomeWonder tuner, and I have a netgear b/g card that is supported in most or all distros that I've tried.

Ever heard of Gentoo? Do a minimal install. Give it a try. U can make the booting really fast because u install only fewer apps that are needed by you.:popcorn::guitar:

Herman
October 17th, 2008, 11:20 PM
:) Hey, here's an interesting thread I found by accident while looking up something else,Booting Ubuntu in five seconds (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=930579&highlight=GRUB).
Check it out! :)