PDA

View Full Version : Walmart Laptop Success

hscottyh
November 25th, 2005, 08:08 PM
Walmart had HP laptops advertised for $398 for there Black Friday Sale.... So I got up at 3 am this morning to go get one. Well, there were already about 80 people in line when I got there. Still thought I would try my luck and stuck it out. They ended up only having about 20 of the HP's. But, they had about 100 replacement laptops by IC Power. After being in line for almost 2 hours when I found that out, I didn't drop out of line and decided to wait to look at the specs. They were actually identicle to the HP's except for a 2600 Sempron instead of a 2800, and they sold them for $378! I got a laptop with a 15" screen, firewire, AMD 2600 Sempron, wifi, multi memory card slot, firewire, usb 2.0, CD burner - DVD reader, 5.1 sound, built in mic, 256M of ram, and a 40 gig hard drive for $378!!!! I can't beleave it. Well worth a couple of hours in line in my opinion.

Anyway the first thing I did when I got home was install Breezy on it, purposely wiping the entire drive. I actually did boot it up once with XP partially, but could bring myself to type in the Serial Number.

Every bit of the hardware was found! Not a hickup. Once installed I simply enabled the wifi, went to the Ubuntu forums, and downloaded and ran Automatix. I now have a fully functional Ubuntu laptop and it took less than an hour. I didn't even have to use my brain to do it.

Now, if I could only get it back from my daughter ;)

Schmots
November 25th, 2005, 08:11 PM
That is just totaly freaking awsome. I would have totaly gone for that deal, but I had to work today building a server rack.. enjoy that nice top.

majikstreet
November 25th, 2005, 08:20 PM
cool... no one I know could get up early and wait in lines and battle other people for the Black Friday sales.... there are some good deals though!

darknuala
November 25th, 2005, 08:48 PM
There were only about 20 on hand at our walmart as well, and about 40 in line to buy them. :(

mustang
November 25th, 2005, 08:49 PM
cool... no one I know could get up early and wait in lines and battle other people for the Black Friday sales.... there are some good deals though!

Yeah I'm not sure I'd ever have the patience or the dedication to wake up that early. It kind of says something about people when they're trampling all over each other just to save some money on commodities such as electronics.

stimpack
November 25th, 2005, 09:16 PM
Wow, we get so ripped in europe

poptones
November 25th, 2005, 09:25 PM
LOL. Yes, $380 laptops... more evils of capitalism!

WildTangent
November 26th, 2005, 01:14 AM
Damn...I missed black friday :( I wonder if any stores around here had some good deals.

-Wild

xequence
November 26th, 2005, 01:57 AM
A great deal but not as good as the 50$ iBooks somewhere in america a couple months ago ;)

hoodwink
November 26th, 2005, 02:17 AM
Fantastic. I had to pass your unabridged good luck story along to another email list, so they could turn green with envy.

I'm sure most of us remember the not so distant past when it took black magic and incantations to get Linux loaded on a laptop!

hscottyh
November 26th, 2005, 04:06 AM
Capitolism or not..... I'm still loving it! I do admit I went ahead and got on new egg and spend 25 more to bring the rm up to 512, but as great as it is running, I'm not sure I needed too

Inition
November 26th, 2005, 04:27 AM
I was thinking about buying a barebones laptop like that for years. Well, maybe next Black Friday!

towsonu2003
November 26th, 2005, 05:28 AM
no one here seems to care about walmart practices?

am i trollin? possibly yes

am i jealous? possibly yes

do i need a laptop? hell no

that's some capitalism for u