PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu for Windows IT: Wiki?

Black Razor
October 17th, 2008, 02:08 AM
Should "Ubuntu for the Windows IT: The Unnofficial Manual" be a Wiki in addition to an e-book?

Frak
October 17th, 2008, 03:00 AM
If you're certified in Windows, use Windows. It's what you were hired to do.

If you're certified in Linux/Unix, use *nix. It's what you were hired to do.

Now, that is just my opinion. I don't doubt that there needs to be a guide, I just think we need an "Ubuntu for Linux IT" first.

akiratheoni
October 17th, 2008, 03:08 AM
If you're certified in Windows, use Windows. It's what you were hired to do.

If you're certified in Linux/Unix, use *nix. It's what you were hired to do.

Now, that is just my opinion. I don't doubt that there needs to be a guide, I just think we need an "Ubuntu for Linux IT" first.

I think the closest thing we have is the Ubuntu certification program, if that counts at all.

Frak
October 17th, 2008, 03:09 AM
I think the closest thing we have is the Ubuntu certification program, if that counts at all.
I don't think you could show that at an interview and recieve much credit for it.

Sorry Ubuntu. Redhat and Novell certification count way more.

Black Razor
October 17th, 2008, 08:14 AM
Sorry to burst the bubble but the Ubuntu certification is actually from the Linux Professional Institute. It holds merit on its own, and trust me, as an IT professional of over ten years who was working the industry before certifications were important, employers themselves usually dont know jack about the certifications. Most have only heard things in passing, and look for what they know like A+ or Microsoft. Remember most employers are either small, in which case they do the hiring themself, and are easily impressed, or a company is big enough to have an HR department, in which case they really don't know what the certifications stand for. Certifications are really, IMO for only three things. #1 Pay raise. #2. Door openers. #3 Bragging rights. A degree and experience in your field holds way more merit today than any certification.

Frak
October 17th, 2008, 09:40 PM
Sorry to burst the bubble but the Ubuntu certification is actually from the Linux Professional Institute. It holds merit on its own, and trust me, as an IT professional of over ten years who was working the industry before certifications were important, employers themselves usually dont know jack about the certifications. Most have only heard things in passing, and look for what they know like A+ or Microsoft. Remember most employers are either small, in which case they do the hiring themself, and are easily impressed, or a company is big enough to have an HR department, in which case they really don't know what the certifications stand for. Certifications are really, IMO for only three things. #1 Pay raise. #2. Door openers. #3 Bragging rights. A degree and experience in your field holds way more merit today than any certification.
It is true, certifications mean nothing (just means somebody thinks you know something important, but no guarantee you can do a job). Though, I work in an area where they do not hire somebody based on a certification they've never heard of. LPI holds no ground here, only A+, Novell, and RedHat.