PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] DHCP installion problem

legym
October 16th, 2008, 11:43 PM
Alrighty! I pretty much have no clue what i'm doing. I've done a lot of research and decided to give Linux a chance. So i download unbuntu, burn the .iso, and was able to get to get the installation going. :)

The problem is when it tries to detect DHCP, it gives me some message it can't be found, something close to that message. I've looked every where and the help is no use to me.

I am a complete noob and would love for some help, so could you please use easy words and directions. hehe. If you need more info, please ask! I'll try my best to give you what you need. Thanks!

cariboo
October 16th, 2008, 11:47 PM
How are you connecting to the internet? Do you need PPPOE to connect?

Jim

mikewhatever
October 16th, 2008, 11:51 PM
Hi, and welcome.
The network detection process during the installation shouldn't worry you too much. Even if the process fails, you can perform all the necessary steps after the installation, and with nice graphic tools.
If you wish to test your internet connection, there is no need to install. Just run from the Live CD and try to connect.

Nancy Dz
October 17th, 2008, 12:06 AM
I think I remember it saying the same thing on my install.
I just skipped the network installation since I am not on a network and went past it and every thing worked fine if it is the same error message.

legym
October 17th, 2008, 12:45 AM
You guys are quick!
I downloaded the .iso from http://isohunt.com/torrent_details/27746487/ubuntu?tab=summary. I dunno why, but i did. then i burned it.
I am also using a wireless connection on my laptop.

nope, im not using PPPOE. Well what i read from some websites, i dont think i will.

i'll go head and try again

legym
October 17th, 2008, 01:41 AM
WHOA!! looks awesome!

Well first, what is DHCP and what does it do? I did not know what happens if i did not install, so for a few days i left it alone.

Well thanks to the people who replied, i was able to get it! TYVM!

mikewhatever
October 17th, 2008, 02:00 AM
WHOA!! looks awesome!

Well first, what is DHCP and what does it do? I did not know what happens if i did not install, so for a few days i left it alone.

Well thanks to the people who replied, i was able to get it! TYVM!

DHCP is Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dhcp)