PDA

View Full Version : [xfce] XFCE Performance vs. Gnome

icanfly0307
October 16th, 2008, 11:19 PM
Hi everyone,
I'm looking for a lightweight desktop environment for my old laptop. So far, I've heard that XFCE is the best. Soooooooo......... here's my question: How fast is it exactly compared to GNOME? Take a look at my system's configuration:

Sony Vaio PCG FX 370:
--1 Ghz Pentium 3
--256 Megabytes of RAM
--744 Megabytes of Swap
--32 Megabytes of Video RAM (I DONT use Desktop Effects)
--100 Mhz Frontside Bus Speed

Would XFCE run REALLY fast on a computer like this? With GNOME, this is how fast my computer starts up:

--From the Grub screen to the Login Screen: 1 minute 3 seconds
--From the Login screen to the Desktop being fully loaded: 26 seconds

Would I see any improvements on the figures above?

Thanks

OutOfReach
October 16th, 2008, 11:23 PM
Most likely, yes you would see an improvement, it may be drastic or it may not, it depends but try it out. :)

The boot time I don't think will change because of the Desktop Enviroment, though.
P.S. If you want even more speed try something even lighter like Openbox, Fluxbox,etc... or even a tiling window manager (Awesome WM, Xmonad, Wmii, etc...)

gn2
October 16th, 2008, 11:29 PM
I think that the biggest benefit would be once booted Xfce uses less RAM than Gnome, so there will be less swap activity on your PC speeding things up.

I used to have a P3 500mhz 192mb RAM laptop, with Xfce it was useable, with Gnome it slowed down something chronic.

icanfly0307
October 16th, 2008, 11:58 PM
Oh and BTW,
Would I still be able to use Firefox and other apps like I did in GNOME? Will they be faster in XFCE? I'm actually installing it right now. All I have to do now is wait for it finish..... :guitar:

kerry_s
October 17th, 2008, 12:19 AM
Oh and BTW,
Would I still be able to use Firefox and other apps like I did in GNOME? Will they be faster in XFCE? I'm actually installing it right now. All I have to do now is wait for it finish..... :guitar:

yes you can still use firefox, no it won't be faster.

gnome and xfce4 just have different goals, xfce4 in ubuntu is just as slow as gnome. a few tweaks to gnome can get it more usable than xfce4.

i use gnome on 450mhz 256mb ram.

icanfly0307
October 17th, 2008, 12:44 AM
Could you specify those "few" tweaks? :)

And if anyone has any tweaks for XFCE 4, could you please post them over here?

Thanks

icanfly0307
October 17th, 2008, 01:05 AM
Hi again,
After looking at XFCE 4, I realized that it was WORSE and SLOWER than GNOME:mad:. I'm gonna get rid of it. For now, I think I'll stick with GNOME and start tweaking it around. Thanks for all your help.:)

kerry_s
October 17th, 2008, 01:33 AM
Hi again,
After looking at XFCE 4, I realized that it was WORSE and SLOWER than GNOME:mad:. I'm gonna get rid of it. For now, I think I'll stick with GNOME and start tweaking it around. Thanks for all your help.:)

don't let it sour you, xfce4 is actually fast, just not in ubuntu, other distros do a much better job with xfce4.

you already have a thread for the tweaks:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=949046&page=2

rudihawk
October 20th, 2008, 12:06 PM
I've been using Ubuntu for nearly a year now, and although Gnome is nice and all, I prefer xfce - its faster in my experience.

ne0h
October 20th, 2008, 12:13 PM
XFCE is fast.
> don't add too many stuffs to panel.
> Use only 1 workspace.
> don't use desktop effects.

Cato2
October 20th, 2008, 01:24 PM
You might also want to investigate Ubuntulite (LXDE based) or Fluxbuntu - both are lighterweight than XFCE in RAM usage. I run Xubuntu on a 192MB PIII/700 laptop and it's really quite slow due to lack of RAM - launching Thunderbird takes many seconds for example.

It's also best to use Opera as the browser, with privoxy for ad blocking, as it uses less memory than Firefox.

snowpine
October 20th, 2008, 01:56 PM
I spent some time this weekend playing around with Debian Etch (the current stable version) Gnome desktop. It really is quite a bit faster than Ubuntu 8.04 Gnome on my old laptop.