PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Dual Monitors

dkolok
October 16th, 2008, 07:11 PM
Have dual monitors with Windows; possible with Ubuntu? (Extended desktop; not same info on both monitors.) (I know about the virtual desktops.)

Reply from forestpixie

Dual monitors are possible yes - you'd need to make sure that the driver is installed for your graphics card. Check in Hardware Drivers in System > Admin menu if there is one for your card. Once you've done that it might be possible to arrange your screens as you wish, without knowing what card it is hard to tell. Installing the card will also deal with the last point. * * *

Upgraded driver. Second monitor still duplicates what is shown on first monitor, instead of what I want, extended desktop. When in Windows, second monitor is correctly extension of desktop. Card is Matrox Millenium G450 DualHead.

jakl_53
October 17th, 2008, 09:47 PM
I am having the same issues but with a different video card.

SuperSonic4
October 17th, 2008, 09:51 PM
What card is it? I know nvidia cards often have nvidia-settings installed

jakl_53
October 17th, 2008, 10:09 PM
What card is it? I know nvidia cards often have nvidia-settings installed I dont know and i dont know how to find out. But it does use an ATI restricted driver..
EDIT: upon a little googling i think i have a ATI Mobility Radeon 9600 card.

XulluX
October 18th, 2008, 07:10 AM
I have been looking around the net can haven't come across any good info on this type of set up. I can display a mirrored image of my notebooks display, but I want the ability to extend the desktop. I have a Dell 150 w\ATI RADEON Xpress1150 256MB