PDA

View Full Version : Speech for school: PCs vs. Mac

Arex Bawrin
October 16th, 2008, 06:11 PM
Hi, I am pretty new here, but I love how deep the Ubuntu community is! I hope to get to know you all through time here, but I do need some help from anyone willing:

I am going to do a speech for my speech class about why PCs are better than MACs. I need at least 6 different main points to hit on that are in favor of PCs.

Now if you have a MAC please do not come in here and start a debate. I am just looking for some suggestions that my strengthen my argument. One of my arguments was gonna be on cost effectiveness; and then I also thought about mentioning a MAC's lack of third-party support. Any suggestions or comments would be incredibly helpful...thanks:)

Canis familiaris
October 16th, 2008, 06:16 PM
PC v Mac is pretty lame debate since Apple moved to Intel Hardware and now both Windows and Linux (x86 i.e.) can run in Apple Hardware too and at least technically OS X can run in non-Apple "PC" hardware too.

Or are talking about Windows v OS X debate or Linux v OS X debate?

Arex Bawrin
October 16th, 2008, 06:20 PM
Well as of now I'm signed up for "Why PCs are better than MACs"
Coincidentally, there is a girl in my same class who is doing "Why MACs are better than PCs".

Kuroyume
October 16th, 2008, 06:28 PM
it's a hard subject to argue... if you still can, i would suggest switching to open source vs. closed source... there's a lot more arguments for that...

TBOL3
October 16th, 2008, 06:29 PM
I assume you are talking strictly about hardware (and I would make a point about that, because far too many people assume macs and pcs are software as well as hardware). So some points are:

1. Unreadability - can't do it to most macs. PC's can also accept much more hardware then macs can.
2. Competition - only apple makes macs.
3. Price - Apple sells overpriced hardware.
4. Users - Apple fans are VERY loyal, this is coming from an x apple fan, and still knowns many apple fans. Also many more pc users then mac ones.
5. Style - PC's can look nice too.

I would also talk about how pc's aren't just windows vista, and how you can run better OSs on them.

Arex Bawrin
October 16th, 2008, 06:30 PM
I thought about open source vs. closed source but the majority of the class will have no idea what I am talking about and will get bored.

TBOL3
October 16th, 2008, 06:33 PM
I also agree with the previous two people. PC vs mac is a lame debate. It's been done over and over again, usually by mac fanatics. So has open vs. closed source debates by linux fanatics. If you are dead set on doing something techy, do something unusual, like glossy vs. matt displays.

artir
October 16th, 2008, 06:54 PM
Mac=PC

There is no difference, only an apple logo and a OS. (In a nice box and highly overprized)

TBOL3
October 16th, 2008, 07:12 PM
Actually it's more like Mac => PC. A mac is a mac if it's a PC. Which is to say that a Mac is a pc, but a pc is not exclusively a mac. What you were saying is that mac's and pc's are the same thing, which their not. I have a pc, but it's not a mac. I also have a mac, which is a pc.

billgoldberg
October 16th, 2008, 07:25 PM
Well as of now I'm signed up for "Why PCs are better than MACs"
Coincidentally, there is a girl in my same class who is doing "Why MACs are better than PCs".

When I went to the info session for my network manager course yesterday (on my birthday), the instructor actually started laughing when some girl told she used a mac.

aysiu
October 16th, 2008, 07:28 PM
Yes, we all know Macs are personal computers and Windows can be installed on Macs.

Nevertheless, we also should understand that in common usage, PC (even though it stands for personal computer) usually is in reference to a Windows-preinstalled PC.

I take umbrage with PC referring to Windows PCs not because Macs are also PCs but because Linux PCs are also PCs.

If Mac v. PC is intended to mean Mac PC v. Windows PC, then Linux just gets left out of the equation altogether.

Arex Bawrin
October 17th, 2008, 10:47 PM
Ugh, so really there is not enough info I can go with to make a compelling argument towards the class?

cardinals_fan
October 17th, 2008, 10:52 PM
There is no one operating system that is best for everyone. Different things appeal to different people.

aysiu
October 17th, 2008, 10:53 PM
Ugh, so really there is not enough info I can go with to make a compelling argument towards the class?
What would be compelling depends on the person. My guess is that everyone in your class has already made up her mind whether she likes Macs or "PCs" (i.e., Windows non-Apple PCs) better.

earthpigg
October 17th, 2008, 11:36 PM

you kind of dug yourself into a debate that, presented before a truly knowledgable audiance, you will lose. you will lose because it is a debate that should not happen: as stated by others, a mac is a pc.

fortunately, most of the class and hopefully the teacher grading you are less well informed than the people of this forum.

prey on that ignorance. a few of the below are legit, many are simply preying on their ignorance and spreading misinformation in order to secure a victory for you.

vidya games:
on a mac, to play all of the latest and greatest computer games you have to go out and buy windows for like $200 additional dollars.

industry standard:
by and large, the business world expects you to be familiar with windows. the more you use windows, the better off you will be.

more choices in hardware:
good luck upgrading that overpriced mac.

people think apple users are just being trendy:
you are in high school, tailor that how you see fit.

FUD:
makes some lies up that you think your opponent wont be smart enough to pick up on.

make sure your pro-mac person speaks first:
tailor your speech to coutner what s/he just said. he who laughs last, laughs best.

edit:
don't forget vendor lock in.

edit2:
present mac as a cute little toy (like a Geo Metro), and a PC as a real computer (like a Chevy Corvette). "sure, its cute... but if you want your computer to actually do anything, you need a PC"

cardinals_fan
October 17th, 2008, 11:44 PM
make sure your pro-mac person speaks first:
tailor your speech to coutner what s/he just said. he who laughs last, laughs best.

+1

Cross-examination is vital to win a debate. There is no better way to make someone look like a fool.

earthpigg
October 17th, 2008, 11:46 PM
basically, you dug your shoes into a debate that can only be won by FUD.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fear,_uncertainty_and_doubt

if your debate teacher didn't already teach you about that concept, s/he is failing you.

edit: actually, she is failing the class. but helping you, because now you have knowledge of that technique that your audiance lacks.... thus empowering you to win where, by all rights, you should lose.

Arex Bawrin
October 18th, 2008, 12:14 AM
Earthpigg, thank you so much for the advice! Fortunately, this girl will be speaking two days before me - so I will have some time to pick apart her own argument.

On a somewhat separate note, I am remembering the first day of class where almost the entire class needed help from the teacher with learning powerpoint. So I think my objective will be to establish credibility off the bat by saying I am a computer science major, and try to somewhat 'dumb-it-down' for the audience so they won't lose focus and attention. Thank you all for your help!