PDA

View Full Version : Root Server Providers

ensis2k
October 16th, 2008, 03:47 PM
Hello,

I am looking for a Provider. But since I am still a Student and short on money, I was hoping to get good hints from you. All the offers I found via Google are too expensive and offer much more than I really need.

I need:
- Linux Box with root access and a static IP or DYNDNS
- A way to reinstall Linux, just in case I do something completely wrong. But won't need it most likely, since I am experienced already so I would even pay in such an occasion.

What I definitely don't need:
- Domain name
- Fancy web builder
- ... everything not listed in the first part

Since I only need it for private experimentation(PHP) and to organize my daily work(SVN) and hobbies(private Blog), my needs for processor, memory and bandwidth are not so high. I.e. after installing Apache and PHP; I will be the only one visiting websites for testing purpose. But when I do, it should be fast enough.

... I wonder if "Mafioso" is already an old hat on Halloween ...

comandrei
October 16th, 2008, 03:49 PM
Try renting a VPS

red_Marvin
October 16th, 2008, 03:54 PM
I would get an old computer, put it in a closet or something, and get a dyndns account.

ensis2k
October 16th, 2008, 04:38 PM
Unfortunately the old-computer idea won't work for me.
I am living in a students dormitory and do not have my own internet access. Also I do not want to have a computer running day and night in the only room I have.

I think that VPS is the only way to go. Do you know really cheap and trustworthy providers?

ssam
October 16th, 2008, 04:58 PM
i am using slicehost for that sort of thing. you get a xen virtual machine that you can do pretty much what you want with. starts at $20/month (not too bad compared to the electricity/bandwidth costs of having something at home).

mine runs debian lenny (i started with their debian etch image, and upgraded it), handles low traffic django site. i want to move my email their, but i need to figure out setting up a mail server.

I have not used anything else similar, so i can't give a good comparison. but it works well for me. you will need to have basic knowledge of ssh and commandline administration. when i signed up there was a waiting list.

(they have a referral program, so if you decide to go with them and mention my email samtygier at yahoo dot co dot uk then i get a discount on my slice)

ensis2k
November 4th, 2008, 07:50 AM
Thanks againg for the replies. Sliecehost seems to be verry professional and the service is amazing. 24h chat and they instantly reply.
But in the end I decided to sign with strato.de. Just because they are a tad cheaper. Only 9€ per month.
http://strato.de/server/virtual/v-power/index.html

Cheers