PDA

View Full Version : [mythbuntu] How to use ms-sys? Install Packages? Boot XP again?

mulluysavage
October 16th, 2008, 06:17 AM
Hi folks,

I got impatient and wanted to play with Mythbuntu before the parts arrived for my new machine. I installed it on a firewire drive on my girlfriend's computer. Big mistake I think, because 1) I can't boot from it I don't think the bios sees it, and 2) I can't boot XP- it just tries to boot mythbuntu. I get "Grub Loading stage 1.5" and "Grub error 21."

At the very least, I have to get my girlfriend's computer on XP fast or she'll freak. I'm trying to install ms-sys and redo the boot record to boot from XP. How do I install the package? I've downloaded the .deb, but how do I handle it with synaptic? Can't figure it out. I also got the .tgz and unzipped it to a spot on the external HD, but I can't seem to get at it that way with Synaptic either. Do I have to save it to a particular spot?

If anyone can help me out of this mess, I promise I will wait until my parts come in and do it right. At least I am learning about booting!

Thanks!

Phil

NewDisciple
October 17th, 2008, 03:34 AM
Restore windows mbr.(master boot record)

http://www.arsgeek.com/2008/01/15/how-to-fix-your-windows-mbr-with-an-ubuntu-livecd/