PDA

View Full Version : Report: Pure Open Source No Longer a Viable Business Model

Sporkman
October 16th, 2008, 01:28 AM
Report: Pure Open Source No Longer a Viable Business Model

Written by Marshall Kirkpatrick / October 13, 2008 6:38 PM

How do you make money if you give your software away for free? That's the classic question asked of Open Source software vendors and the expected reply is that they charge customers for software customization and support. That's not the way it works anymore, though, according to a report published today by analyst firm The 451 Group.

Titled "Open source is not a business model," the report challenges some long held beliefs about the technology business. Not everyone is happy with the 451 Group's conclusions, either.

http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/report_says_pure_open_source_is_not_viable.php

paul101
October 16th, 2008, 01:32 AM
cant they make their minds up? :roll:

SunnyRabbiera
October 16th, 2008, 01:34 AM
I know

zmjjmz
October 16th, 2008, 01:42 AM
Open Source != Giving stuff away for free.
Cheesus friggin Chrast, it's about support and customization. Red Hat and Novell sell their software. Canonical provides support and certification (and merchandise).
Some companies actually just suck.

lancest
October 16th, 2008, 01:46 AM
According to the GPL it's ok to sell software. The main thing is that the code must remain open and any improvements must be shared back to the community. I don't know exactly how if this applies to all types of FOSS software though. FOSS is about fighting vendor lock in.

earthpigg
October 16th, 2008, 01:54 AM
how the hell does a company trying to sell a 71 page book for $3,750 think they can lecture and preach to anyone about viable business models?

(pssst, anyone got the torrent?) <-- j/k, of course

original_jamingrit
October 16th, 2008, 02:01 AM
It doesn't seem very clear, but I'm pretty sure the article is just talking about desktop-end user type open source. I'm sure there would be a much greater demand for tech support once FLOSS breaks through the mainstream barrier.

Besides, lots of Open Source development has been driven by server software. Desktop Linux doesn't really do much for that community.

cardinals_fan
October 16th, 2008, 02:22 AM
I've always liked the licensing used by Trolltech on Qt. It's available for free if you open-source whatever you write from it. If you want to write a closed-source derivative, you have to pay.

MaxIBoy
October 16th, 2008, 04:01 AM
Just like ID Software's business model. I think it's a very acceptable compromise.

zmjjmz
October 16th, 2008, 04:30 AM
Just like ID Software's business model. I think it's a very acceptable compromise.

I think that's a great model too. Open Source the older versions so everyone can benefit. And if a company goes out of business, IMO they should open source whatever software they made.

TBOL3
October 16th, 2008, 05:08 AM
Here's the way I see it.

On top of the wonderful money that can be made on support, there are several other ways a company make money. Let me illustrate just one of them.

A company that sells software, releases a lot of their low level stuff as FLOSS. Because it's low level, it's harly usable to most people and companies. However, some people will like it, and develop. Because you are required to distribute the software as FLOSS, the original company can then take the modifactions, and use it, thus their getting some workers for 'free'.