PDA

View Full Version : What do you do with your old computers?

zmjjmz
October 16th, 2008, 12:01 AM
I'm sure a lot of the people on this forum have gone through more than one computer in their lifetime.
Now, I've been wondering what people do when they buy a new computer. Do they throw away the old one? Keep it and still use it as a server or something?
Vote in teh poll.

EDIT: I'm actually not old enough to of "owned" multiple computers, but I would probably choose option #1.

gletob
October 16th, 2008, 12:03 AM
server

init1
October 16th, 2008, 12:03 AM
I've got an old laptop that I use for DOS games

gn2
October 16th, 2008, 12:07 AM
Sell them on ebay.

urukrama
October 16th, 2008, 12:14 AM
I now only use old computers. I've bought one computer (a laptop) in my life, about 7 years ago, which I still use. The case is badly damaged, but the inner parts still function fine.

Another computer I use regularly I received from a friend, the computer in my office is one I saved from the rubbish heap when a company nearby got rid of their 'old' computers.

I do not see the point of bying a new computer when the ones I own still work. They may be slow compared to recent models, but my philosophy is that if it was good enough for me 5 years ago, it is still good enough for me today.

When they break, I do not plan to buy a new one. Many of my friends and family get rid of their old computers that still run fine for my use.

I've also rescued other old computers that I gave away to friends, charity or neighbours

If you use a light window manager like Openbox or Awesome, and light applications (particularly command-line applications), these machines can still be pretty fast.

flyingsliverfin
October 16th, 2008, 12:23 AM
i usually take the computer apart and rescue all the usable parts like RAM and hard drives ect. If its a laptop then I just take out the RAM. If I can I keep the computer, then I usually install a version of linux and give it to friends or just keep it. Linux is a lot faster than windows, so it makes sense.

zmjjmz
October 16th, 2008, 12:43 AM
I'm glad to see nobody's voted to throw them away yet. I think it's a terrible waste of computing resources, and I'm very sentimental about complex objects like that.
I could never bear to throw away a computer.

OutOfReach
October 16th, 2008, 12:45 AM
I am planning on using my old Compaq Presario (1998 or so) as a file server, maybe even an audio/media server (with MPD) if I can update the RAM a bit.

lukjad
October 16th, 2008, 12:49 AM
I use one as a monitor stand, another as a PC. I haven't decided what to do with my oldest PC. Either scavenger the good parts and recycle it or donate it to some organization, not that anyone would want it.

paul101
October 16th, 2008, 12:50 AM
i scub the windows partition and put xubuntu on to it

you'd be surprized how many people think that the system is uber quick upon loading xubuntu

Old_Grey_Wolf
October 16th, 2008, 12:55 AM
I donate them to my wife's family and friends after wiping the drive and reinstalling the OS. I have never had one that someone didn't what. However, before throwing one away, I would put it on the curb in a public place for someone to 'salvage'. That is what will probably happen to an old PPC Mac G4 I have. That is only because a Flash player for the old PPC MAC doesn't work very well.

If someone put a small sign in the window of their car stating "used computer wanted, call ###-###-####" I would contact them, and give them a computer if I had one to get rid of.

I could have voted for another option because I use some of the newer ones as servers, etc.

t0p
October 16th, 2008, 12:57 AM
I throw 'em away... cos by the time I've finished with 'em, that's all they're good for! ;)

Seriously though, the only time a computer leaves my hands is when it's being junked. I buy used machines and run them into the ground.

urukrama
October 16th, 2008, 12:57 AM
By the way, K.Mandla has some excellent post on his blog that are somewhat relevant to this thread:

* Things to do with an old computer (http://kmandla.wordpress.com/2007/09/14/things-to-do-with-an-old-computer/)
* Ten things you can do keep an old computer useful (http://kmandla.wordpress.com/2007/03/16/ten-things-you-can-do-keep-an-old-computer-useful/)

FuturePilot
October 16th, 2008, 01:27 AM
If it has decent hardware specs I would still use it as a 2nd/3rd/4th computer. But if it is really old I would turn it into a server.

SunnyRabbiera
October 16th, 2008, 01:35 AM
Install linux on them and give them new life :D

EnGorDiaz
October 16th, 2008, 01:41 AM
im trying to use my old computer as a ipcop box im not going to use my new one with the dual screen

cmay
October 16th, 2008, 02:16 AM
i rescue old compuers and use them. the oldest one i had to trash recently was a 100 hz with no ps2 mouseinput and 869 mb harddisk and the system found 16 mb ram. i had minix in that one. i have also one with freedos . i think about learning how to use the computers as enviromental freindly as possible so it makes me very happy to see others do the same as me.
thanks.

kk0sse54
October 16th, 2008, 02:31 AM
Of course I use them :) Rescue it with a light OS and WM and it works perfectly fine for my needs

Frak
October 16th, 2008, 03:47 AM
I purposely buy old computers.

1 G3 - All stock
4 G4's - 2 with new processors (Sonnet 1GHz 256MB L2 3MB L3 and a NewerTech Dual-2GHz which is now faster than my Mac Pro)
1 of the upgrades has a new SCSI controller in it's 64-bit PCI slot
The other one is a stock cube
2 G5's - both upgraded liquid cooling systems provided by Apple
Performa - Processor upgrade to 1GHz

I like to collect PPC machines.

Corfy
October 16th, 2008, 04:35 AM
I don't know if "donate" is the right word, but I usually give them to someone (a friend or family member) who has an older computer than what I am getting rid of.

OrangeCrate
October 16th, 2008, 04:40 AM
When I can get them for free, or even a few bucks, I clean them up, install Ubuntu or Xubuntu, depending upon the machine, and donate them to the local high school. I've done this a dozen times, or so, and they've always been appreciative. The instructor is an experienced Linux guy, so he handles the tech needs with the kids.

kevin11951
October 16th, 2008, 05:35 AM
i put "donate", but i really just give it to my younger siblings.

I-75
October 16th, 2008, 10:42 AM
I'm sure a lot of the people on this forum have gone through more than one computer in their lifetime.
Now, I've been wondering what people do when they buy a new computer. Do they throw away the old one? Keep it and still use it as a server or something?
Vote in teh poll.

EDIT: I'm actually not old enough to of "owned" multiple computers, but I would probably choose option #1.

I use them until they no longer run, then use the parts for another computer.

Canis familiaris
October 16th, 2008, 10:47 AM
I have only one old computer, but it no longer works (totally out of order that is) and replacing parts is not an option since older spare parts are costly.

kellemes
October 16th, 2008, 10:50 AM
I'm glad to see nobody's voted to throw them away yet. I think it's a terrible waste of computing resources, and I'm very sentimental about complex objects like that.
I could never bear to throw away a computer.

Had to throw away my Apple IIe (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_IIe) some years ago.
It took a long time before I could say goodbye. :(

lukjad
October 16th, 2008, 11:58 AM
One thing I am planning to do is try to install Arch on my old PC and hand it down to my Mother.

Paqman
October 16th, 2008, 12:19 PM
Desktops can be broken up into components and sold. Bizarrely, you'll get a lot more on eBay for the components than you will for a complete system. I guess it's because many components (optical drives, cases, power supplies) don't suffer from obsolescence nearly as quickly as whole systems do.

I probably do this because I don't buy whole desktop computers. I just have one that I continually upgrade. Only the case is left from it's original incarnation. So I don't really have "old computers", just a cupboard full of bits.

Laptops are a different story, but luckily tend to hold onto their resale value as complete systems. If I had one to flog today i'd probably set it up dual-boot XP and an OEM install of Ubuntu.

K.Mandla
October 16th, 2008, 12:48 PM
There are no old computers! Woohoo!

:|

Oops, sorry. I got a little excited there. I apologize profusely. :oops:

AndyCooll
October 16th, 2008, 01:09 PM
I voted that I donate.

Over the years I've actually do one of two things. In the past I've re-used some of my computers as servers, or as a second computer in the house. And indeed the first few laptops I used were re-used ones that I was given.

Recently I've bought a couple of new laptops and given my old stuff away on Freecycle.

:cool:

chucky chuckaluck
October 16th, 2008, 01:28 PM
i'm new to the old computer business. my old desktop is completely dead and it's somewhere in our bonus room. my monitor is blocking a storage space door that won't latch, so our cats won't get in there.

Bungo Pony
October 16th, 2008, 01:55 PM
I try recycling as much of the computer as I can.

For newer ones (Pentium IIIs and higher) I'll throw together a complete system and sell it for around $50 to those who can't afford a new one for $300+

Older computers will usually have the cards & RAM pulled out for storage. I will sometimes try to use the cases for something (shelves maybe) and if not, they go to the scrapyard for recycling. The Motherboards, depending on the components / connectors get thrown into a box full of circuit boards, where I'll scavenge for components when I need one. I recently pulled a capacitor off an old motherboard to replace one that was ripped off a newer motherboard.

I also use the components for other projects. I built a car charger for my MP3 player using a USB port off an old motherboard. Oh yeah, and the jumpers blocks on old motherboards always come in useful for when I lose one.

In some cases, I'll try to make use out of those old computers. My garage Jukebox is one example. I recently found an old IBM desktop in the trash, and I'm currently building a new version of my garage jukebox. I'll be putting details up on my blog when it's done (hint: it'll be done when 8G USB Flash Drives hit $10.00 a piece.)

Ms_Angel_D
October 16th, 2008, 02:13 PM
2 years ago my hubby and I made a decision, every other tax return one of us gets a new rig. Well the first year we decided to get him one first, and I used the older one, last year we got me a new rig, and gave my son the oldest one. so this year coming up he'll get a new rig, well give his to my son and I'll take the one my son has now put a Ubuntu install on it and probably just use it for storage and media.

So chances are what will happen is we'll end up with a lot of storage space, though I may give one to my folks as their computer is ancient.

Old_Grey_Wolf
October 17th, 2008, 01:19 AM
Today, I donated an HP, single core 2GHz, 512MB RAM, 160GB HDD, computer to my son. The HDD on his old Dell Laptop appears to be dying. He can't afford to buy a replacement HDD in hopes that it will fix the laptop, nor can he wait for it to arrive in the mail. He is interviewing for a job at a Hospital after completing Nursing School, and plans to buy a new laptop after he gets a job. I will probably take his old laptop, buy a $60 replacement HDD, and try to get it working. If I do, I will donate it to someone.

Tamlynmac
October 17th, 2008, 04:57 AM
I pull the old parts and when I have enough I build a machine, then give it to one of our neighbor kids. Needless to say I have a waiting list and recently seem to have trouble acquiring older machines (that still have functioning parts). Don't build anything smaller than a P2 and even our local dump (used to be a good source of computer parts) is drying up.

I live in a lower middle class neighborhood and many of the kids don't have access to a computer except at school or the library. Of course all the systems I build have Ubuntu as the OS and have found that most kids love it. Many of them convince their parents to get a cable connection and I always give the best to the handicap kids.

I can tell you that there is no feeling greater than watching a child's eyes light up when they realize I've put a system together for them. Our small lawn stays mowed and we never need to ask for help around the house.

Unfortunately, I'm limited by time, effort and a source for parts. Just not as young as I used to be...:lolflag:

krissybee14
October 17th, 2008, 05:18 AM
pass it down to my relatives...

wolfen69
October 17th, 2008, 05:57 AM
how come there wasn't an option in the poll for "sell them"?