PDA

View Full Version : BBC avoids Mac news

jeyaganesh
October 15th, 2008, 11:34 PM
I have been noticing that the BBC news website always avoid Apple Inc's News. Whenever Apple release new products, every online news websites put that as a major news under 'technology' column. But BBC news website never did that. Still there is no news about new Mac Book release at their website. It even didnt put the iphone release news on its announcement evening and the following day.

But they used to write about Microsoft's security update on every second tueday of the month.

Have you ever noticed this?

smoker
October 15th, 2008, 11:40 PM
i do notice they very rarely report anything to do with open source. i suppose whomever is top of the IT news tree decides to report what interests them, and maybe apple is not in favour.

jgrabham
October 15th, 2008, 11:41 PM
The BBC tech page is pretty pathetic anyway - read slashdot or something similar.

jeyaganesh
October 15th, 2008, 11:43 PM
Even we, news readers, follow the major events happening in this world. But how come this giant and reputed news corporation avoiding this type of news. Then how can we trust other news that they are putting on their website?

jeyaganesh
October 15th, 2008, 11:44 PM
The BBC tech page is pretty pathetic anyway - read slashdot or something similar.

You might be true. They are active only for Microsoft related news.

smoker
October 15th, 2008, 11:50 PM
...But how come this giant and reputed news corporation avoiding this type of news. Then how can we trust other news that they are putting on their website?

i'm not so worried about missing out on news from apple (i don't use anything by them), but i've always suspected the BBC of having it's own agenda a lot of the time. for current affairs and politics i think channel 4 news is far more balanced.

jeyaganesh
October 15th, 2008, 11:52 PM
I read engadget for tech news!

jgrabham
October 15th, 2008, 11:56 PM
i'm not so worried about missing out on news from apple (i don't use anything by them), but i've always suspected the BBC of having it's own agenda a lot of the time. for current affairs and politics i think channel 4 news is far more balanced.

I find the BBC tends to be quite left wing; I'm not really a fan of any news channel; I tend to read the paper instead, because all TV news seems abysmal.

smoker
October 16th, 2008, 12:10 AM
THE BBC is institutionally biased, an official report will conclude this week. The year-long investigation, commissioned by the BBC, has found the corporation particularly partial in its treatment of single-issue politics such as climate change, poverty, race and religion.
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/politics/article1942948.ece

this is a report (last year) commissioned by the BBC!

The Cog
October 16th, 2008, 12:14 AM
The BBC produced a windows-only downloading utility too. I'm not sure if they are actively pro-MS or just apallingly ignorant, but their "tech" programs suggest the latter.

OutOfReach
October 16th, 2008, 12:16 AM
I read engadget for tech news!

Hey, I read engadget too. :)
BBC and other sites like BBC are more about world news, etc...

jeyaganesh
October 16th, 2008, 12:25 AM
I dont know from where 'engadget' people get news. They used to put lot of gadget news daily. They update with one or two news for every hour. Yesterday they put Mac release news like live sports commentary.

jgrabham
October 16th, 2008, 12:58 AM
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/politics/article1942948.ece

this is a report (last year) commissioned by the BBC!

They had to comission a report to say the BBC are biased on climate change and politics - I could have told them that, and I bet it'd be cheaper than whatever it cost to make that report!!

smoker
October 16th, 2008, 11:20 AM
They had to comission a report to say the BBC are biased on climate change and politics - I could have told them that, and I bet it'd be cheaper than whatever it cost to make that report!!

yeah, but you don't have billions of pounds of taxpayers licence fee money to squander in which to do so! why just admit something when you can set up a commission, and thinktank, and various other lengthy and expensive biscuit eating meetings to come to that conclusion? :confused:

it's about time the BBC was cut from the wad of licence fee money it exists on and had to stand on, and justify, it's existence, on it's own merits.

SeanHodges
October 16th, 2008, 11:25 AM

lol Slashdot?!

I, for one, welcome our running joke flame bait mongers...

Paqman
October 16th, 2008, 11:42 AM
Still there is no news about new Mac Book release at their website.

Good, that's hardly a news story.

The iPhone release was newsworthy, because it was a totally new direction for Apple. But why should a news site run the launch of a new model of computer from Apple any more than they would one from Acer or Dell? Applehype aside, it's just another laptop.

billgoldberg
October 16th, 2008, 07:19 PM
Why would any big news site publish a story about a new computer model coming out?

A new big OS, I can understand. A new computer not.

This is material for tech sites.

jeyaganesh
October 16th, 2008, 07:27 PM
Why would any big news site publish a story about a new computer model coming out?

A new big OS, I can understand. A new computer not.

This is material for tech sites.

Matter is why they publish without any fail about usual Microsoft's security update on every second tuesday of the month.

billgoldberg
October 16th, 2008, 07:38 PM
Matter is why they publish without any fail about usual Microsoft's security update on every second tuesday of the month.

Because that's news worthy (to some degree).

An operating system used by hundreds of millions gets an important update.

A new computer model isn't.

Twitch6000
October 16th, 2008, 07:48 PM
I like cnet more then anyone as they kind of put news and videos out for any os that has done something worth making news about.

They also do other things like for the game systems and such.

BBC seems like a pro Microsoft site to me truly.

majabl
October 16th, 2008, 08:26 PM

Really? Can you provide links? There must be hundreds of them by now if what you say is true - BBC News has been around online for over 10 years now....

Paqman
October 16th, 2008, 10:30 PM

Do they though? The BBC tech feed is one of the ones I check every day. I'm pretty sure I would have noticed. Can you provide links to the last few months articles from Patch Tuesday?

gn2
October 16th, 2008, 11:02 PM
I have been noticing that the BBC news website always avoid Apple Inc's News. Whenever Apple release new products, every online news websites put that as a major news under 'technology' column. But BBC news website never did that.

A new product line from a computer manufacturer simply isn't "news".

Would you expect the BBC to have covered the launch of the Dell XPS range?

the_darkside_986
October 17th, 2008, 02:34 PM
One time, the BBC website featured an article by Richart Stallman about software freedom and Vista. I don't have the link, but it was on there and there was a thread posted here about it.

-grubby
October 17th, 2008, 02:58 PM
One time, the BBC website featured an article by Richart Stallman about software freedom and Vista. I don't have the link, but it was on there and there was a thread posted here about it.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/7487060.stm

yaztromo
October 17th, 2008, 03:02 PM
There's regulary Mac news on the BBC tech page. I often see Linux news on their too. Bill Thompson's BBC news blog regularly mentions Macs and Linux as well.

Swarms
October 17th, 2008, 03:43 PM
I know BBC is public service, but they are simply publishing news in what they believe their viewers/listeners/readers find interesting. I am sure massive research has been done to map that.

If they began to give unnatural much notice to a little niché, I would be more worried.