PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] X stops my machine from booting

Nancy Dz
October 15th, 2008, 10:47 PM
Hello,

I am new here. I just installed Ubuntu (8.04) for the first time yesterday. On start up after the normal start screen I get a screen of text and nothing happens after that. The last line of text where it gets stuck says something about starting bluetooth. I have no idea if that has anything to do with it, but I don't have bluetooth set up on my computer at all. I have searched the online documentation and couldn't find a solution for my problem. At first I couldn't get install to go past that point either, until I chose to install with text menus.

I bought the official ubuntu book to with the disks included for install so it had a little help to get past the error and resume boot but I have to enter the commands to stop and restart X every time I start the computer...

/etc/init.d/gdm stop

/etc/init.d/gdm start

Any way to get around having to do that every time I boot?

Thanks!

I love Ubuntu already! :D It's fast! And, easy to use. I'd just like to get it to work without having to do that every time. :cool:

Thricemin
October 16th, 2008, 12:44 AM
i guess you could make a script to do it automatically or wait till intrepid ibex final release comes out.

Nancy Dz
October 16th, 2008, 11:59 PM
Hey Thricemin,

Thanks for your post!

Re: i guess you could make a script to do it automatically or wait till intrepid ibex final release comes out.

Lol, I just installed Linux for the first time 2 days ago, I've never used it before, and I don't know how to do that.

What file would I need to edit to put the script in to make it work by itself every time I boot? And is the script in the right format to just add it to the file or would I have to add more code because I am saving it in a file?

And Re: ... or wait till intrepid ibex final release comes out.

Does that mean this is a known bug that a lot of people have had to work around and they are fixing it? I am still not sure if it is just some sort of hardware conflict at boot up (only) on my machine. Although, everything works fine after I stop and restart X and log in.

Thanks for any help with this!

Nancy Dz
October 17th, 2008, 06:37 PM
So does anybody know the program file and code to enter this in to get it to work by itself on startup? :)

Nancy Dz
October 18th, 2008, 09:15 PM
Help! Does anybody know how to do that?