No need to explain why... Just vote! :)

SunnyRabbiera
October 15th, 2008, 10:02 PM

where?
This isnt a poll ;D

Ub1476
October 15th, 2008, 10:03 PM
Open-source. I don't like the word free. It's cheap..

t0p
October 15th, 2008, 10:04 PM
This isnt a poll ;D

Hold on... it is now!

Gutt
October 15th, 2008, 10:05 PM
Open-source. I don't like the word free. It's cheap..

Exactly.

blakjesus
October 15th, 2008, 10:34 PM
Honestly, the free part was what lured me in (didn't truly know about open source until i used ubuntu); but when i learned what open source was all about, thats what made me stay. :)

koenn
October 15th, 2008, 10:50 PM
The poll is flawed : it misses the option 'both'

I say 'open source' when I'm talking about open-source as a development method or want to stress / focus on the fact that the software was developed following that method.

I usually say "Free Software" in other cases, especially as opposed to proprietary software or software with restrictive licensing,

I usually don't say "Free software" to mean software that you can get for free.

I sometimes use both together, as in Free/Open Source software (or FOSS), if the focus is unclear or when the other party is talking about Open Source where I would use Free Software.

blakjesus
October 15th, 2008, 10:58 PM
The poll is flawed : it misses the option 'both'

I say 'open source' when I'm talking about open-source as a development method or want to stress / focus on the fact that the software was developed following that method.

I usually say "Free Software" in other cases, especially as opposed to proprietary software or software with restrictive licensing,

I usually don't say "Free software" to mean software that you can get for free.

I sometimes use both together, as in Free/Open Source software (or FOSS), if the focus is unclear or when the other party is talking about Open Source where I would use Free Software.

I think the first poster's intent was to refer to free as freeware. The contrast to proprietary would be open software, So im pretty sure when he says free he means free as in free beer. :popcorn:

koenn
October 15th, 2008, 11:01 PM
I think the first poster's intent was to refer to free as freeware. The contrast to proprietary would be open software, So im pretty sure when he says free he means free as in free beer. :popcorn:
interesting take,
too bad that this isn't obvious (to me, at least), from the OP

t0p
October 15th, 2008, 11:14 PM

I'm the OP. I don't know where you got any idea of what I was thinking when I set the poll. All I said at the time was:

For the record: I prefer the term "Free software". It's a shame the English term "free" is so vague; in French I'd say libre not gratis. In other words: "Free speech not free beer".

But that's just what I was thinking. I want to know what you think!