PDA

View Full Version : Blender 2.48 exists!

Mr. Picklesworth
October 15th, 2008, 08:29 PM
Hooray! Blender 2.48 was released yesterday. It has some awesome changes, with many aimed at game development and collaboration. Grease pencil is my favourite, although real-time shader rendering is a close second :)
The Apricot project brings us tons of little editor tweaks that make it easier to place objects in a scene.

This program is awesome.

http://www.blender.org/development/release-logs/blender-248/

Now we just need it to sneak into Intrepid and my day will be made.

Polygon
October 15th, 2008, 08:30 PM
i doubt it will make it into intrepid. open office 3 didnt even get in.

it might be in backports, adn dont they provide a deb on teh blender site anyway?

Mr. Picklesworth
October 15th, 2008, 08:33 PM
I don't think they have debs, but it can be run from a directory really easily. (I've done that with 2.46, since Ubuntu is always a release behind Blender).

If memory serves me right, we are one day before a freeze and this has bug fixes! :P

There is a deb on GetDeb for Hardy users.

Polygon
October 15th, 2008, 08:35 PM
the package freeze was like september 25th. tommorow is the kernel freeze.

Mr. Picklesworth
October 15th, 2008, 09:04 PM
Oooh, I just noticed that Greese Pencil mode supports my drawing tablet with full pressure sensitivity and recognizing the eraser tip without me needing to do anything! :)

mrgnash
October 17th, 2008, 03:55 AM
Sounds awesome, but I doubt I could ever learn to use such a beast :P

OutOfReach
October 17th, 2008, 03:59 AM
I started learning to use it once, but I didn't have enough time to learn such a sophisticated program. Maybe later on I will complete learning it, it is a great program with awesome features.

germclown
November 1st, 2008, 11:36 PM
The only way I've ever know to have the very mostest recent (stable) Blender version is to get it off the site. Add/Remove always gives me the immediately previous release. Even today, I tried through the manager again and I got 2.47 instead of 2.48a. So off it goes and off I go to get find the tarball.

I'm really looking forward to the physics and game rendering updates.

TBOL3
November 1st, 2008, 11:43 PM
Also, you can usually find it off of getdeb.net

jhoyland
November 21st, 2008, 07:39 PM
I can't run 2.48 from a directory download on Hardy Heron 64-bit. I just get the error "can't execute binary file" - any one got any ideas?

JOshea
December 6th, 2008, 10:09 AM
upgrade to 2.46 by using this guide

http://vitalbodies.wordpress.com/2008/10/28/how-to-install-intrepid-ibex-blender-246-in-ubuntu-hardy-heron/

and then go here

http://www.getdeb.net/

check version at the middle of the head of the page and go to categories

under graphics get the deb.

on a clean install and only adding gimp and some video codecs
upgrading to 2.46 let the deb pass.

dannytatom
December 6th, 2008, 10:18 AM
Now to get to learning it. I started learning Maya a little before the switch to Ubuntu, and the blender interface confuses me to no end.