PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Install Ubuntu on Windows ME

alphadelta14
October 15th, 2008, 05:45 PM
My Aunt's computer runs an old Windows ME. As a gift for her birthday, I wanted to get her computer updated. Ubuntu seemed to be the best thing for her and her computer. So i have needed 512 mb memory and a blank CD to put the installer on. I did not want to erase ME, but there was still 15 GB left on the hard drive. Would Ubuntu be able to be installed on that computer?

howefield
October 15th, 2008, 05:55 PM
You need some free space to run windows effectively so if you have 15 GB free, you won't be able to use it all on Ubuntu.

Have you run some disk clearing utilities to maximise the free space, defragmented the drive, ect, ect, might surprise you how much space you can reclaim, especially if your Aunt has been using the computer with ME which is an old version of windows.

alphadelta14
October 15th, 2008, 06:08 PM
its a 40 GB hard drive, so with windows it has 15 GB left.

howefield
October 15th, 2008, 06:15 PM
I'd give it 10 gig for the Ubuntu install,(recommended minimum is 8GB).

I'd still try and reclaim space from the windows install eg, browser cache, temp files, old programs, orphan files, ect. A windows ME install can't be much more than 1 gig, so you have a lot of stuff over and above that.

alphadelta14
October 15th, 2008, 06:18 PM
So I am able to get Ubuntu on that computer? even as old as it is? which version is compatible?

howefield
October 15th, 2008, 06:39 PM
You'll find the system requirements here

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/SystemRequirements

There are lighter variations of Ubuntu that might work better/fast like xubuntu.

alphadelta14
October 15th, 2008, 06:55 PM
Thanks a bunch