PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] "Installed (Local or Obsolete)"

*B*
October 15th, 2008, 04:53 PM
This might be a silly question, but what exactly does this mean? Can the items listed in this section be removed/uninstalled safely without affecting the system in a negative manner?

mssever
October 16th, 2008, 06:00 PM
This might be a silly question, but what exactly does this mean? Can the items listed in this section be removed/uninstalled safely without affecting the system in a negative manner?
In the future, please tell us what you're talking about, since we can't read your mind. Are you talking about the filter under Synaptic's Status tab? If so, the programs listed there are programs that aren't in any of your repositories, either because you installed the .deb manually, or because the package is obsolete and has been removed from the repositories. You'll have to judge on a case-by-case basis whether those programs should be removed.

*B*
October 16th, 2008, 07:07 PM
Uh, I 'did" tell what I was talking about. I asked if the items listed in the section marked "Installed (Local or Obsolete)" in Ubuntu could be removed/uninstalled safely without affecting the system in a negative manner. If there was more than one section in Ubuntu marked "Installed (Local or Obsolete)" I was unaware of it. Anyway, thank you for your answer, I appreciate it. The tone I wont thank you for.

mssever
October 16th, 2008, 07:53 PM
Uh, I 'did" tell what I was talking about. I asked if the items listed in the section marked "Installed (Local or Obsolete)" in Ubuntu could be removed/uninstalled safely without affecting the system in a negative manner.
I had no intent of being rude; I was trying to be helpful. I found your thread in the course of searching for day-old unanswered threads. The threads that come up in that search are usually difficult questions or poorly-asked questions. Your post is the latter, so I tried to give you a pointer for how to get quicker answers in the future.

There are thousands of programs available for Ubuntu, which is why I maintain that you didn't describe what you were talking about. You never said that you were asking about Synaptic. I was only able to answer your question because I recalled seeing that option in Synaptic.

If there was more than one section in Ubuntu marked "Installed (Local or Obsolete)" I was unaware of it.Ubuntu doesn't have sections. Ubuntu is an operating system. More specifically, it's a collection of programs, and most of the time the name of the specific program in question is essential information

*B*
October 16th, 2008, 08:00 PM
Oh for cryng out loud........ just drop it already. I dont agree with you but iM not going to sit here and argue with you about it. Ill mark it as solved....... Thanks for the original answer, now just drop it.

mssever
October 16th, 2008, 08:38 PM
Oh for cryng out loud........ just drop it already. I dont agree with you but iM not going to sit here and argue with you about it. Ill mark it as solved....... Thanks for the original answer, now just drop it.
I pity the next person who tries to help you. I tried to help and you got mad. No one's been arguing. What I've said in my previous posts is objective fact. Whether you agree or not doesn't change it. But, since you apparently don't want help, I'll not try further.

*B*
October 16th, 2008, 08:54 PM
If you consider your "tone" as "help", then I pity the people you "help". I have had countless people answer posts i have made and have never had anyone take the tone you are here. You can call it fact, but it is OPINION!

Its YOUR opinion that I wasnt clear, yet you answered my question exactly. Evidently my question was more clear than you made it out to be.... also you never pointed out any other "section" (and I will call it a section whenther you like it or not) where that same heading was listed. So, as far as I am aware, synaptic was the ONLY area I could have been referring to.

Also, please do not put words in my mouth. I didnt say you were rude, I said I wasnt going to thank you for the "tone". The same tone that you have carried through in your other posts. The same tone that makes you keep posting to get the last word in, and the same tone that made you post your last "rude" post with your comments about me. If you dont want people getting mad at you, drop the attitude. I dont get upset with people for helping, and I think youre a child for saying I do. I got upset with you over your attitude. I even THANKED you for your answer.... that doesnt sound like getting mad because someone helped me.

Plain and simple, if you didnt understand my question, didnt want to address it.... or even if you just thought it a stupid question......... then all you had to do was cruise over it and not respond. I DID want help, and I DO post here when I want help. If you cant see the differenc ein help and attitude, then maybe YOU shouldnt answer posts. Whether YOu agree or not doesnt change that. You address me with attitude, you get it in return... end of story.

cariboo
October 16th, 2008, 11:11 PM
[SOLVED] "Installed (Local or Obsolete)"

The above is what your question looks like in the forum. I had to read it a couple of times to understand your question.

There are a lot of people in the forums for whom english is a second or maybe even third or fourth language.

Jim

*B*
October 17th, 2008, 01:42 PM
"Installed (Local or Obsolete)"

THAT I could understand as being hard to figure out. But, it wasnt like that originally. For some reason it wound up like that when I marked it as solved. So, up to that point, it read "Installed (Local or Obsolete)". Look at your post header, yours is the first displaying that garble, and now my post header does too. Before that, it was legible. I dont know what happened, I tried correcting it.