PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Dual boot Ubuntu/Vista

{Nabla}
October 15th, 2008, 10:40 AM
hi I've got vista installed and want to dual boot it with ubuntu. I followed the guide here:

http://apcmag.com/how_to_dualboot_vi...lled_first.htm

and made the partition like it said.

Then I ran through the installation and at the final stage where it gave the option to install, it gave an installation summary, and said:

The following partitions are going to be formatted:

partition #5 of SCSI1 (0,0,0) (sda) as ext 3
partition #6 of SCSI1 (0,0,0) (sda) as swap

I selected 'guided - select largest continuous free space' for the installation options, but I want to be sure that I'm not formatting my vista/data partition.

How can I check this? Can you do it through disk management, because the partitions don't appear to be named?

Partyboi2
October 15th, 2008, 11:59 AM
You should be able to check what partitions are what by opening gparted (system>Admin>Partition Editor) or from a terminal

sudo fdisk -l

Pumalite
October 15th, 2008, 12:02 PM
You have to allocate space for Ubuntu wi5th Vista partitioner firsat. Then use Gparted Live CD and make 3 'New' partitions:
10 GB for '/'
The rest minus your RAM for /home
Your RAM for /swap
In the freed space make an extended partition and within that place allk the others:
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=115843&package_id=271779
Burn the iso to disk and boot from it.
http://www.howtoforge.com/dual_boot_windows_xp_vista_ubuntu_feisty_p2?

{Nabla}
October 15th, 2008, 12:24 PM
Partyboi: How can I run a linux command in Vista? I haven't installed linux yet. (I am new to linux)

Pumalite: I have made the partition using [rightclick] Computer > manage > disk manager > shrink vista partition. So I now have a smaller Vista partition, and some unallocated space (which I want to install Ubuntu on).

Can you please walk me through what I need to do now with Gparted? I have never done this before.

Thanks alot.

Edit: my partition looks like this so far:

http://img392.imageshack.us/img392/2449/58641099ev4.jpg

Pumalite
October 15th, 2008, 12:38 PM
Do not shink Vista with Gparted. Use the Vista partitioner to allocate free space for Ubuntu first

{Nabla}
October 15th, 2008, 12:54 PM
I haven't used Gparted yet, I used windows disk manager to shrink it, as this is what the guide suggested.

Use the Vista partitioner to allocate free space for Ubuntu first

How do I do that?

Aero-Z
October 15th, 2008, 02:30 PM
I haven't used Gparted yet, I used windows disk manager to shrink it, as this is what the guide suggested.

How do I do that?
Nothing to do there anymore. The Unallocated Space is the free space where you can install Ubuntu.
The "use largest continuous free space" checks for that unallocated space. I don't remember anymore but if you use guided then check for the sizes of the partitions Ubuntu's installer want to create (the installer should notice you at some point how large are those new partitions going to be). "ext3" plus "swap" should be a total of around 29.79GB.

{Nabla}
October 15th, 2008, 11:25 PM
Nothing to do there anymore. The Unallocated Space is the free space where you can install Ubuntu.
The "use largest continuous free space" checks for that unallocated space. I don't remember anymore but if you use guided then check for the sizes of the partitions Ubuntu's installer want to create (the installer should notice you at some point how large are those new partitions going to be). "ext3" plus "swap" should be a total of around 29.79GB.

Ahh ok thanks so I have the free space set up already now for Ubuntu install. I can't recall the installer notifying me of how big the partitions are, It simply referred to them obscurely (and un-helpfully) as:

partition #5 of SCSI1 (0,0,0) (sda) as ext 3
partition #6 of SCSI1 (0,0,0) (sda) as swap

but I will run it again and see to make sure.

By the way, what do you mean by "the partitions Ubuntu's installer wants to create"? I thought I had already created a partition for the Operating system, I don't understand why the installer needs to create any more partitions for it. Are you saying the guided mode will search for the unallocated space, and partition it into those partitions above? Because they are two different formats/file systems I think I have picked up.

I wish there were just some easy way to be sure of which partitions I am formatting before I install...for instance if the unallocated space in windows disk manager was labelled as "SCSI (0,0,0) (sda)" Then everything would make sense and I would happily continue.

Pumalite
October 15th, 2008, 11:35 PM
Read my post # 3

Partyboi2
October 16th, 2008, 12:57 AM
By the way, what do you mean by "the partitions Ubuntu's installer wants to create"? I thought I had already created a partition for the Operating system, I don't understand why the installer needs to create any more partitions for it.
All you did with vista disk management is make space (unallocated) for the ubuntu partitions. You still need to make the partitions for ubuntu which you can do as mentioned by Pumalite.

{Nabla}
October 16th, 2008, 01:15 PM
I have it all working now thanks, just need to change the bootloader according to the guide, and then start learning/configuring Ubuntu.

Pumalite
October 16th, 2008, 02:57 PM
Good:
http://www.unix-tutorials.com/go.php?id=861