PDA

View Full Version : Linux now on sale at Target.

natehall
October 15th, 2008, 08:22 AM
I was just strolling through a Target in Bakersfield Ca. when I came across a peasant surprise: Asus Netbook computers with Linux.(299$) I know Asus has been making them for a long time but it was nice to see Linux desktops openly sold like that by a major chain.
http://www.target.com/ASUS-Ultra-Portable-Notebook-Computer/dp/B001EXE5MG

Dacker
October 15th, 2008, 08:55 AM
These laptops are addressing the primary school students. n as you can see that the features are not that sort of powerful performance. n this price doesn't include linux .........

SunnyRabbiera
October 15th, 2008, 10:32 AM
These laptops are addressing the primary school students. n as you can see that the features are not that sort of powerful performance. n this price doesn't include linux .........

yes but at least they are being sold in the first place.

pt123
October 15th, 2008, 10:42 AM
These laptops are addressing the primary school students.

Where have you been the last 9 months? these laptops have been so popular because they provide greater portability.

jprophet420
October 15th, 2008, 10:47 AM
they run ubunto however. They have been selling them on newegg for at least a year and people buy them and load ubuntu. Whatever version they come with is aaiitte according to the reviews.

natehall
October 16th, 2008, 12:16 AM
I think the version preloaded is Xandros. There is custom version of Ubuntu for the Asus that I just found out recently is going to be renamed "ION" because of Trademark issues with calling it "Asus Eee Ubuntu."

starcannon
October 16th, 2008, 12:20 AM
Thanks for the link!
Did you see the price on that? I paid a little over $500 for my 8g eee less than a year ago, now for $269.99 thats a great deal. If your wanting a portable for on the cheap, its a good laptop, runs Ubuntu great once you do the kernel upgrade from http://array.org/ubuntu/

Again thanks loads (ps grab a 2gb stick of ram from newegg and a 16gb sdhc card and its really an excellent machine then)

natehall
October 16th, 2008, 12:27 AM
These laptops are addressing the primary school students. n as you can see that the features are not that sort of powerful performance. n this price doesn't include linux .........The Asus laptops I saw came with 8 Gigs of solid state memory. Even though I have 60 Gigs of memory on the laptop I now use , I rarely use more than 8 gigs ( DVD iso's every once in awhile to test out a new Linux distro which I then erase after burning the DVD )

aysiu
October 16th, 2008, 12:36 AM
Wow. When I bought my 701 with 4 GB in April the 8 GB model was US$499, I think. Now it's US$269 at Target? Well, one thing's for sure: if I ever decide to ditch my Eee for something else, the resale value will be so low I probably will just give it away to a friend instead of trying to sell it.

natehall
October 16th, 2008, 12:38 AM
Thanks for the link!
Did you see the price on that? I paid a little over $500 for my 8g eee less than a year ago, now for $269.99 thats a great deal. If your wanting a portable for on the cheap, its a good laptop, runs Ubuntu great once you do the kernel upgrade from http://array.org/ubuntu/

Again thanks loads (ps grab a 2gb stick of ram from newegg and a 16gb sdhc card and its really an excellent machine then)
One of these days I'd like to get a laptop with a BIG screen. Until there is one that comes with Linux preinstalled I'm not buying.

The nice thing about these little inexpensive laptops is they make great gifts for kids who will then grow up quite comfortable with Linux.

aysiu
October 16th, 2008, 12:41 AM
One of these days I'd like to get a laptop with a BIG screen. Until there is one that comes with Linux preinstalled I'm not buying. Is 15" not big enough for you? Dell has some 15"-screen laptops available with Linux preinstalled. And System76 has a 17" laptop available.

natehall
October 16th, 2008, 12:48 AM
I figure it will be a long time before I buy another laptop, I'm happy with my Dell 1420N. However sooner or later something is going to come along which changes my mind.

starcannon
October 16th, 2008, 06:42 PM
The 1420n is pretty sweet, I bought one for my Mom, and had a really hard time giving it to her after I played with it a few minutes.

smartboyathome
October 16th, 2008, 07:15 PM
They even have the 8.9" EeePC! Yay! Now if only they had the EeePC 1000... :(

billgoldberg
October 16th, 2008, 07:22 PM
What's target, some online store?

I-75
October 16th, 2008, 10:20 PM

Brick and Mortar Department store in the United States.

richg
October 16th, 2008, 10:29 PM

You can usually search Google for questions like this.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ned=us&q=target&btnmeta%3Dsearch%3Dsearch=Search+the+Web

I clicked on the first link found by Google and then searched the Target site for Linux.
Here is the result. It's like magic.
http://www.target.com/gp/search/601-4052420-4692156?field-keywords=linux&url=index%3Dtarget&ref=sr_bx_1_1&x=22&y=18

Rich