PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu / Linux events or meetings in NYC?

gutsy08
October 15th, 2008, 06:35 AM
Hello, I was just wondering how active the NYC area Ubuntu group is. I'm thinking about installing Ubuntu and was curious if there's a way to get a little help I run into problems.

gavintlgold
October 16th, 2008, 12:53 AM
The New York team doesn't seem to do much sadly. However, if you wanted to install ubuntu and you have Windows, you might want to go with the "install ubuntu in windows" option. That way, it's all in a folder in windows if you have problems. Delete Ubuntu with the "Add/remove programs" tool in Windows, and you're all clean again.

However, for basic problems that won't have you uninstalling Ubuntu, it is probably sufficient to ask here on the Forums for help. There really don't seem to be many meetups or much (I'm subscribed to this section of the forum, and it never gets new topics).

If anyone disagrees, let me know.

NewJack
October 17th, 2008, 02:42 PM
The New York team doesn't seem to do much sadly. However, if you wanted to install ubuntu and you have Windows, you might want to go with the "install ubuntu in windows" option. That way, it's all in a folder in windows if you have problems. Delete Ubuntu with the "Add/remove programs" tool in Windows, and you're all clean again.

However, for basic problems that won't have you uninstalling Ubuntu, it is probably sufficient to ask here on the Forums for help. There really don't seem to be many meetups or much (I'm subscribed to this section of the forum, and it never gets new topics).

If anyone disagrees, let me know.

Got to agree with you gavintlgold. I hope things pick up here.

alof8k
October 19th, 2008, 09:17 PM
I third that.

though I'm sure things could get better if everyones makes time to be more active. Personally though, I don't see it happening considering that most new yorkers seem to just get on with their business and that's that :p

Still....New York is the best :D

NewJack
October 20th, 2008, 09:07 PM
Hey, I am up for figuring out a meeting within NYC since I work in Manhattan. I don't have any contacts to get a space for a meeting though. I would attend if enough of us can get something going. Aside from it being a meetup, we could come up with a list of topics to cover/inquire about.

Just my .02 bits