PDA

View Full Version : Classes with Constructors that take Arguments in a Vector

Caged
October 15th, 2008, 04:57 AM
That was a mouthful...

Hello. I've been playing a bit with vectors. Is it true that it is impossible to create a vector of classes that take arguments? This is just me experimenting with C++...

dwhitney67
October 15th, 2008, 05:32 AM
How much have you played/experimented?

Yes, it is possible to create a vector that holds class objects in which the constructor accepts arguments. Bear in mind that the class must have a copy-constructor and an operator=() method (note this is not required if the class is stored by pointer, which is generally done).

#include <vector>
#include <iostream>

class Foo
{
public:
Foo(int value) : m_value(value) {}

Foo(const Foo& other) : m_value(other.m_value) {}

~Foo() {}

int getValue() const { return m_value; }

Foo& operator=(const Foo& other)
{
m_value = other.m_value;
return *this;
}

private:
int m_value;
};

int main()
{
std::vector<Foo> vec;
vec.push_back(Foo(10));
std::cout << vec[0].getValue() << std::endl;
return 0;
}

Caged
October 15th, 2008, 05:50 AM
Only touched on the most basic stuff on vectors like push_back()... I tried making structures with vectors then I thought of classes.

I just read about copy constructors in a book and it looks like yours is a bit different from it. Can you explain what the colon in the middle here does?

era86
October 15th, 2008, 05:54 AM
Only touched on the most basic stuff on vectors like push_back()... I tried making structures with vectors then I thought of classes.

I just read about copy constructors in a book and it looks like yours is a bit different from it. Can you explain what the colon in the middle here does?

It is an initializer for class Foo. A simple way to initiate variables rather than doing it in the constructor body. Like this:

Foo(int value)
{
m_value = value;
}

dwhitney67
October 15th, 2008, 06:07 AM

In C++, a struct(ure) and a class are identical in every way, except one... in a class, any defined value, method, constructor, destructor, etc are by default considered private; in a structure, they are all public.

Structures, like classes, can have constructors, destructors, virtual methods, and restricted areas (protected and private).

As for this question, Era86 answered this in an earlier post.

Caged
October 15th, 2008, 06:51 AM
Thanks guys.

dribeas
October 15th, 2008, 07:24 AM
It is an initializer for class Foo. A simple way to initiate variables rather than doing it in the constructor body. Like this:

Foo(int value)
{
m_value = value;
}

Adding to this, to get a better insight:

Initializer lists have other differences, first being that in the sample code above the compiler will generate code to first default-construct m_value (ints get 0 by default) and then assign the value. While this may be a negligible performance hit in some cases, the important part is that the requirements on the initialized member attribute's class are different.

class X;

class Y
{
public:
// Initializer lists
Y( X const & x ) : x_( x ) {} // [1]
Y( int i ) : x_( i ) {} // [2]

// Assignment
Y( X const & x ) { x_ = x; } // [3]
private:
X x_;
};

To compile, in case [1], X must have an available constructor with the correct number of arguments (in [1] a copy constructor, in [2] a constructor of X must take a single int as argument). On the other hand, in case [3] X must have a default constructor (if all constructors take arguments or default constructor is marked private it will not compile), and X must also have an accessible assignment operator (even if it is the default provided, but cannot be private).

Note that references cannot be value initialized, that is:

class Z
{
public:
Z( X& x ) : x_( x ) {} // Correct
Z( X& x ) { x_ = x; } // Error: cannot value initialize a reference
private:
X& x_;
};