PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of starting an Ubuntu/Linux newb youtube channel

cryptk
October 15th, 2008, 03:40 AM
So I have been thinking about starting a youtube channel. make videos of how to do some common things, starting with a video showing how to install it (I know, simple, but it would be targeted at the beginner). Then make a video (or several) on desktop customization. A video on how to install software from the repos (using aptitude, apt-get, synaptic, cover all the bases).

So, this post is here for me to find out, what would YOU, the absolute beginner, want to see a video on?

Is there some cool linux trick that you have heard of, and want to be able to do, but don't know how to implement it?

Anything at all...

here are the ideas that I have so far

1. Fresh install
2. install software from the repos
3. desktop customization
4. set up the conky system monitor
5. compile software from the source
6. save power on your laptop (longer battery life)
7. optimize your boot (so you can watch my videos faster)
8. compile a CUSTOM KERNEL... oh noes...
9. I could make a video on how to install and configure pretty much any piece of software you need

anything else that you guys would like to see?

cryptk
October 15th, 2008, 03:44 AM
another thing I just thought of, If there is a tutorial or a walkthrough on this forum somewhere, and you would like to see it in video form, let me know. I could easily do the process needed, and then make a video of it being done.

JoshuaRL
October 15th, 2008, 03:53 AM
You might start working your way through the Tutorial of the Day in the Tutorials sub-forum. Lot of good stuff there, about 40 I think.

eternalnewbee
October 15th, 2008, 03:54 AM
There is, here:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation

cryptk
October 15th, 2008, 04:32 AM
I know we have directions on how to install Ubuntu, but I figured that it would be appropriate to start my Youtube channel about Ubuntu where Ubuntu starts... with the install.

cryptk
October 15th, 2008, 07:24 AM
seems my thread got moved... oh well

Sealbhach
October 15th, 2008, 10:31 AM
There's a lot of videos related to Linux out there already:

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=linux+videos&meta=

I find I don't use them much because I usually can't see enough detail on the screen.

I-75
October 15th, 2008, 01:09 PM
The best Linux install video I have seen is the one for DSL Linux. Any new Linux user can install DSL in mere minutes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhP17LPOCOU

What I would suggest, is to start a website with links to all these Linux You Tube videos. You pick out the best videos and link to them on your website.

earthpigg
October 15th, 2008, 01:26 PM
youtube does not work with Ubuntu out of the box.... i suggest you use a FOSS alternative and consider that your main site -- while still putting copies of all your videos on youtube (along with a link in the description pointing to your real site.)

everyone just uses youtube, so i dont even know what the .ogg equivelant of youtube is...

someone want to give me a little help? what youtube-like site that works out of the box on a clean ubuntu install?

cryptk
October 16th, 2008, 01:14 AM
youtube works fine for me on Ubuntu hardy (as well as Intrepid). The only issue I have is with going to fullscreen.

I will probably start with putting them on a video hosting website such as Youtube (or an alternative if we can find one). Then after I get a few viewers (If I get any at all lol) I will get some webspace and host higher quality versions. Maybe turn it into a full on linux help website and possibly add in other operating systems as well, but make it more community oriented to where users could post requests for videos, and I could answer them (or other users could as well).

My goal is to start this all in a couple weeks (I need to fix my desktop first, laptop is kind of slow and can hardly do recorddesktop enabled, and only barely passable with it turned off).

I could even branch out into general computer videos eventually. A video on how to change a hard drive, how to install addon cards, pretty much anything...

cryptk
October 16th, 2008, 02:19 AM
I gave myself an idea... it is now a top secret project. I will let you guys know the details when the time is right.