PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] Can't get out of forced login.

PhaeZee5
October 15th, 2008, 12:00 AM
I used Ubuntu (GNOME) to install my system, but I decided to go ahead and install KDE alongside it. I can use it, but I encountered a problem when I rebooted into kdm, instead of gdm, which I used to try it. My font size on everything was HUGE, and I unistalled KDE crudely.

Now, when I reboot, I get messages saying kdm could not be started, so I tried using a terminal login via control+alt+F2.

This works after I login as root and start gdm, but it is a pain and anybody else using my computer would not understand. How can I make gdm start during boot?

I am currently using Hardy 8.04.1

sumguy231
October 15th, 2008, 12:42 AM
This may be different in Hardy, but you should be able to do it graphically by going to System -> Administration -> Services and checking (uncheck first if already checked) the box for gdm.

If that doesn't work or you'd just rather use the command line, look in /etc/rc2.d and see if there is a 'KXXgdm' script. If there is, try renaming it to 'S30gdm'.

PhaeZee5
October 15th, 2008, 02:45 AM
Sadly, both were as you suggested. Thank for answering anyway.

sumguy231
October 15th, 2008, 03:28 AM
I'm sorry, I thought at least one of those would work. Have you tried reinstalling gdm entirely?

PhaeZee5
October 16th, 2008, 03:32 AM
Sadly, it was that simple. I really hoping for something complicated, but sadly, no. Maybe I should try Gentoo. :)

Thank you again.