PDA

View Full Version : My Kubuntu Journal

vitorsouza
November 25th, 2005, 03:37 AM
Hi there,

I've been trying the past weeks to migrate from Windows to Linux and I chose Kubuntu because I like Debian and KDE, and Kubuntu brings the best of them and has the philosophy of "make it work", even if it uses non-free (as in freedom) solutions.

In the process, I've been recording my experience in a journal. First because I might want to reinstall it from scratch, and the journal keeps records of the steps I've taken before. Second, because it might be useful for someone else. :rolleyes:

So I've published the journal here:

http://www.inf.ufes.br/~vsouza/kubuntujournal/

I still intend to write a stylesheet to make it look nicer... Also, I've not finished migrating, so it's a work in progress (and maybe it will always be!). If you take the time to have a quick look, please send me a message (e-mail or reply this thread) with comments and suggestions. Thanks.

Vitor Souza

aysiu
November 25th, 2005, 04:33 AM
I've been trying the past weeks to migrate from Windows to Linux and I chose Kubuntu because I like Debian and KDE, and Kubuntu brings the best of them and has the philosophy of "make it work", even if it uses non-free (as in freedom) solutions. Actually, Kubuntu's the exact opposite of that philosophy. Both Ubuntu and Kubuntu are dedicated to software that is free. All the software is free.

If you want a distro that's dedicated to "the philosophy of 'make it work,' even if it uses non-free solutions," try Mepis or Blag.

vitorsouza
November 25th, 2005, 11:45 AM
Actually, Kubuntu's the exact opposite of that philosophy. Both Ubuntu and Kubuntu are dedicated to software that is free. All the software is free.

If you want a distro that's dedicated to "the philosophy of 'make it work,' even if it uses non-free solutions," try Mepis or Blag.
Yes, all the software in the main repository is free, but there is the Universe and Multiverse repositories that contain non-free packages. In practice, Ubuntu also "makes it work". See Java installation: Ubuntu's wiki instructs you to download Sun's Java and provides a make-jpkg to transform it into a deb, while other distros would say: "Sun's Java is not free (as in freedom), so ditch it and use this other option here, that is GPL...". Same happens with other packages such as RealPlayer, W32 Codecs, Acrobat Reader, etc.

And please don't think I meant that Ubuntu would do "anything" to make things work... All non-free packages it provides are freeware, I didn't mean Ubuntu promotes piracy or anything, ok? Just to make sure I'm not being misinterpreted... :)

Cheers,
Vítor