PDA

View Full Version : Snappy Compiz FTW

belovedmonster
October 14th, 2008, 10:54 PM
I really love Compiz, especially given that my computer is like 6 years too old to run similar eye candy on Vista! But one thing that always kinda bugged me was how slow some effects were. Like Alt Tabbing back and forth between windows took an age for the windows to swish in and out using the Shift Switcher.

I'm not talking about it being slow as in my computer was being too under powered to handle it, I just mean the default speed of the effects seems more about giving you every opportunity to savor the effects rather than it being snappy and fast in a way that is most usable.

I just ventured into the speed settings for the first time on the different effects and boy has it made the world of difference! Now I can quickly switch between windows when I am multitasking without feeling like I am waiting for the windows to stop eye candying so I can get on with using the window I've just switched to.

As happy as I am right now I'm kinda bummed that people are forced to tinker around with the settings just to get the thing snappy and working at a good speed, because as I say, before this I was literally waiting for windows to hurry up and focus so I could use them.

So what about you guys? Do you find you have to speed certain effects up or are you happy to watch the windows swish around even if it costs you a second of waiting for the window to be usable.

brunovecchi
October 14th, 2008, 11:39 PM
I guess it's a compromise between having a responsive feel to the desktop but also not being so fast as to miss the animations. Now, where exactly is the the middle point might depend on both hardware specs and personal taste.

I myself disabled compiz, it's not bug-free yet.

mrgnash
October 14th, 2008, 11:47 PM
I can't be bothered with all that fiddling around (although the customizability is nice, don't get me wrong). I am happy with Gnome's compositor :)

chris4585
October 15th, 2008, 12:01 AM
I speed up most of my effects, such as switching windows, or having menu's appear, etc..

SunnyRabbiera
October 15th, 2008, 12:30 AM
For me Compiz beats aero in every way and I think in the near future Compiz can compete with apples default effects and be very stable.
Fof course for me stability has never been an issue with compiz, heck even when I had only 256MB of memory i was able to make compiz work for the most part.
Of course compiz isnt perfect, but I have had very few issues with it.

aaaantoine
October 15th, 2008, 05:37 PM
I guess it's a compromise between having a responsive feel to the desktop but also not being so fast as to miss the animations. Now, where exactly is the the middle point might depend on both hardware specs and personal taste.

I myself disabled compiz, it's not bug-free yet.

You only use bug-free software?

What kernel are you using? ;)