PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Skype Phone with Ubuntu?

brian_hayward
October 14th, 2008, 10:33 PM
Is there anybody out there who uses Skype with a a Skype phone running on Ubuntu? I bought a skype phone and use it on my windows machine but i want to use it on my Linux machine. I looked for drivers to work with linux but i couldn't find any. Could i use the windows drivers with wine on linux?

Ron from MD
November 6th, 2008, 07:37 PM
Is there anybody out there who uses Skype with a a Skype phone running on Ubuntu? I bought a skype phone and use it on my windows machine but i want to use it on my Linux machine. I looked for drivers to work with linux but i couldn't find any. Could i use the windows drivers with wine on linux?

I use a GE Skype phone no problems under Ubuntu. Just install the linux version of Skype and you should be good to go. I did the install through synaptic if that helps any.

bharathsrinivasan
June 25th, 2009, 02:00 AM
Hi Brian, I installed Skype and logged in. THe phone is connected to USB and it still says disconnected(icon on the top left is pc with x). How do I make calls using the phone. It used to be green skype icon in windows. I am very new to linux. Thank you in advance for any help you can provide.

t54
December 26th, 2009, 03:11 AM
I use a GE Skype phone no problems under Ubuntu. Just install the linux version of Skype and you should be good to go. I did the install through synaptic if that helps any.

to Ron from MD:

Please could you tell us the particulars of your installation of your GE phone, driver and any intermediate software, eg, GE Skylink.

We have tried unsuccessfully to use a GE 28300 '2 in 1' USB Skype phone in both Ubuntu jaunty and karmic.

Installed the GE Skylink software which does run under WINE, however it does NOT recognise a running instance of Linux Skype and will thus fail to communicate with the GE 28300 USB phone. Windows versions of Skype will install and launch under WINE but then always quit with a fatal error message from WINE. See WINE site; Skype will not run under WINE.

It appears that the Skylink software is essential to the operation of the GE 28300 USB Skype phone. How did you get your GE phone to work?

Thank you for your kind assistance.

I am sure there are many people like myself who had bought the GE Skype phone for a Windows install, kissed Windows goodbye forever and then discovered GE/Phillips have been too silly to have made any Linux software/drivers.

They can be assured that I will never buy any hardware in future that does not include a proper set of Linux drivers and any ancillary software.