PDA

View Full Version : New MacBooks

Ub1476
October 14th, 2008, 07:37 PM
Jobs and his team has just announced new MacBooks on the regular Apple conference which is at this time of the year.

They are reeally gorgeous! I feel like having one just as decoration. I get a bit tempted by all the nice looking iLife apps showing off on the LED screen too.

Sometimes it's hard to know what I like: a glossy and modern MacBook or a powerful, 90's looking Thinkpad with Linux.

Your opinion?

LaRoza
October 14th, 2008, 07:41 PM
Sometimes it's hard to know what I like: a glossy and modern MacBook or a powerful, 90's looking Thinkpad with Linux.

Your opinion?

If you want OS X, get the MacBook. If you want to use Windows or Linux, get the Thinkpad. If you want something very portable with Linux, get a Dell 910 :-)

OutOfReach
October 14th, 2008, 07:49 PM
Looks gorgeous, but I still can't afford it. ;)

conundrumx
October 14th, 2008, 08:43 PM
I think the two tone appearance with aluminum is ugly.

The black (now previous generation) Macbooks are the best looking laptops Apple has come up with. If only it didn't have that stupid Enter key next to the arrows...

zmjjmz
October 14th, 2008, 08:46 PM
If only it didn't have that stupid Enter key next to the arrows...

Yeah that get
s ann
oying whe
trying to
scroll.

Anyways, I honestly don't care much. The good features are way to expensive and there's no way I'll need them.

Nano Geek
October 14th, 2008, 08:58 PM
They are certainly slick with some very nice features, but still too expensive for me. :(

smoker
October 14th, 2008, 09:17 PM
they look great, but if i had the money available i'd rather buy an alternative and have a free holiday with the money i'd save :-)

bashveank
October 14th, 2008, 09:27 PM
I'm pretty happy with my current MacBook Pro. These revisions look kinda cool, but I feel like there'll be some kinks to work out. Also, I don't like the black bezel. Once it's time to upgrade maybe they'll have perfected the design.

edit: Oh, and the removal of a FireWire port is TERRIBLE.

blakjesus
October 14th, 2008, 09:31 PM
I think the redesign is nice except for how they made the screen and the keys black. I think it looks tack. Also i never can really get why apple charges so mush for a mac computer when a PC (minus windows of course ;)) with the same specs you can get for less. :popcorn:

IMHO i think that the computer that i ordered (http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/computer_can_series.do?storeName=computer_store&category=notebooks&a1=Category&v1=Versatile+performance&series_name=dv5t_series) looks better, has slightly better specs, costs less, and unlike the apple's commercial stereotype; i am not restricted to use windows. :lolflag:

meborc
October 14th, 2008, 09:38 PM
anyone have a link to the unvailing/commercial/review/whatever of the new mackbook... all i can find are some pictures and they don't tell me much about the features

thanks

ack389
October 14th, 2008, 09:49 PM
For the record, installing Ubuntu(or any distro) is rather easy on any apple computer.

Luffield
October 14th, 2008, 10:14 PM
For the record, installing Ubuntu(or any distro) is rather easy on any apple computer.
I'm not sure about this specific model, with the new trackpad. It has no buttons, you use tapping and multi-touch gestures. I don't know if Linux can handle it yet (but I'll be happy if someone proves me wrong).

Personally I'm not a big fan of this new model. I did like many of Apple's older models and I think the iMac G4 is still the most beautiful computer ever. The colors of the new model look a bit sombre.

Icehuck
October 14th, 2008, 10:14 PM

Any Apple computer or any Intel based Apple computer?

LaRoza
October 14th, 2008, 10:17 PM
Any Apple computer or any Intel based Apple computer?

You can install Linux on the PPC models, although PPC Linux may be behind in development for the most recent distros.

It "ease" varies. I found Ubuntu 6.06 PPC works fine on the old iBook I got, but no other distro would work on it.

zmjjmz
October 14th, 2008, 10:27 PM
Actually Apple, being in control of the software, makes a lot of normally hardware features software dependent, which hinders customization and customer choice.

bashveank
October 14th, 2008, 11:58 PM
anyone have a link to the unvailing/commercial/review/whatever of the new mackbook... all i can find are some pictures and they don't tell me much about the features

thanks

tuaw.com has links to the video and a great liveblog on the front page.

ZuLuuuuuu
October 15th, 2008, 12:06 AM
I don't like the new look of all the new generation models of Macs. They look all similar to each other now, the grey, metalic and dark look and feel... Surely the new MacBooks are more beautiful than any other PC notebooks out there, but, where is the Apple who created:

this: http://images.apple.com/pr/photos/iMac/imac-hires.jpg

and this: http://theappleblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/imacg4.jpg

?

Ioky
October 15th, 2008, 12:24 AM
it only come with glassy screen, that suck. sorry mac, and i think it looks ugly too. the corner are too rounded.

x0as
October 15th, 2008, 12:31 AM
I don't like it, so I'll be sticking to my current macbook, which will be my last mac unless the prices drop. £950 ( cheapest new macbook) is too expensive for the spec compared to what other manufacturers are asking.

Frak
October 15th, 2008, 12:31 AM
I'm planning on buying one. Have for awhile.

nerd0795
October 15th, 2008, 12:59 AM
Since the older macbooks have a better processor and the same amount of ram for $200 less the price. I think I'm gonna stick with pc's now. I personally don't think it looks that great. It's like the PS3 people get all happy about it's looks, I buy one and I don't care. I don't care how my devices look, it's the function that matters.

damis648
October 15th, 2008, 01:09 AM
They look AMAZING. Just take a look, apple.com. If i had the money, I would definitely get one just because of how good they look (I would make sure they run Ubuntu ;-)... I try to be 100% Ubuntu, not that OS X is bad)

smartboyathome
October 15th, 2008, 01:10 AM
I'd like to see a netbook from apple, the 13 inch laptop just doesn't cut it.

KiwiNZ
October 15th, 2008, 01:11 AM
Wow

I have now seen my next purchase , a new Macbook pro to replace my HP DV9301 which has a tendency to eat batteries

Those new mac books are really sexy looking . And dont get me started about the screens , I must not get overly excited with my condition :)

nerd0795
October 15th, 2008, 01:12 AM
I don't think they look that great. I don't look at devices by the way they look. I look at them at their function. But like all Apple products (Not to be mean or fanboyish) It's a tad bit too much for price.

cardinals_fan
October 15th, 2008, 01:15 AM
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=947726

damis648
October 15th, 2008, 01:17 AM
Well me neither, but, honestly, I want my computer to look good. I mean, I just wouldn't buy a thinkpad. Plus, Apple does make good computers. I don't worry that much I guess, but if I read it works well, that's good for me. Also, I don't really need a netbook and I don't think that they are very needed, really, whats a few extra pounds? For extra power, thats fine with me. And yes, for what you get, the price is a bit too much. I mean $1999 for a 15-inch? Please...

EDIT: Okay, I'd buy a thinkpad if I had to choose between a nice looking computer that doesn't work and a functional computer that does. I think most people would, common sense. I just meant that a thinkpad isn't the first thing I'd go for if I wanted a notebook.

gletob
October 15th, 2008, 01:17 AM
I really like the new laptop design. I don't buy apple products though. I used to buy Gateway. But now I've decided to go Dell for laptops and build my own desktops

damis648
October 15th, 2008, 01:18 AM
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=947726

Can we merge these?

cardinals_fan
October 15th, 2008, 01:18 AM
I'm ambivalent. My experiences with Apple hardware have been mediocre at best, but my aunt (one of only two family members who I actually trust regarding tech issues) swears by them. If I loved OS X, it would be a different story. However, when I can't see anything remarkable about it, the hardware just becomes expensive.

damis648
October 15th, 2008, 01:21 AM
I really like the new laptop design. I don't buy apple products though. I used to buy Gateway. But now I've decided to go Dell for laptops and build my own desktops

+1, this is completely what I do too, mostly because Apple price and Ubuntu compatibility is what puts me off. But I buy most laptops from Dell, and build desktops (though I don't mind buying one if I need to).

cardinals_fan
October 15th, 2008, 01:21 AM
Well me neither, but, honestly, I want my computer to look good. I mean, I just wouldn't buy a thinkpad.
Really? I love the look of the Thinkpad.

LaRoza
October 15th, 2008, 01:23 AM
I must not get overly excited with my condition :)

But it would be a way to go wouldn't? I can imagine the headlines...

+1 Thinkpads don't look like fashion statements or toys.

damis648
October 15th, 2008, 01:23 AM

Not they're bad computers, just that they are just not my style.:guitar:

LaRoza
October 15th, 2008, 01:24 AM
Not they're bad computers, just that they are just not my style.:guitar:

Exactly, they are not "stylish". They are functional.

KiwiNZ
October 15th, 2008, 01:31 AM
But it would be a way to go wouldn't? I can imagine the headlines...

+1 Thinkpads don't look like fashion statements or toys.

You are right , my wife has a thinkpad 300 thingy for work , she is an IBM exec and its a very good notebook .

I like to hassle her about her historical landmark :)

paul101
October 15th, 2008, 01:31 AM
to buy a macbook, i feel as if i'd have to be going through a mid life crisis. . . !!!

besides, i'm not the biggest fan of keyboard with zero travel

1280 by 800 is a rubbish screen resolution

NVIDIA GeForce 9400M graphics processor with 256MB of DDR3 SDRAM shared with main memory??? erm... we've had this kind of technology for ages!

Two USB 2.0 ports... ah yes, right... after ive connected my usb key, mouse and errr. . . printer??

Weight: 4.5 pounds (2.04 kg)... grow some muscle kids

13.3-inch (diagonal) LED-backlit glossy widescreen display with support for millions of colors... whoho, millions of colours you say? new technology in the making!!!!

Meets ENERGY STAR requirements... so does my laptop!!!

zmjjmz
October 15th, 2008, 01:32 AM

+1
Functionality > Style.

damis648
October 15th, 2008, 01:33 AM

Yes. Not to start an argument or anything (not that anybody should get mad over this? :popcorn:), I think that in order for things to be appreciated by you they have to have some design (or even to be usable). I mean, which one of us uses the Windows 3.1 theme on our desktops? But, if I had to decide between a desktop and a thinkpad, I would definitely get a thinkpad. So my point is, thinkpads aren't bad, but my preference would be a Dell or some other consumer laptop.

Again, please don't get mad, but how is a thinkpad any more "functional"? I suppose this is a bigger question. A computer is a computer, you can build it to the same specs. Is it any more functional?

cardinals_fan
October 15th, 2008, 01:33 AM

+1
Functionality > Style.
To me, Functionality == Style. I love the simple look of functional products.

zmjjmz
October 15th, 2008, 01:37 AM

I more or less meant it in terms of priorities.
E.G., you shouldn't buy a computer because it looks better if there's a another one that's more functional at the same price.

I mean, in 5 years your computer won't be stylish, and then it won't be functional.
But if you buy the functional comp, it will stay functional, even if it isn't stylish.

LaRoza
October 15th, 2008, 01:41 AM
Again, please don't get mad, but how is a thinkpad any more "functional"? I suppose this is a bigger question. A computer is a computer, you can build it to the same specs. Is it any more functional?

The Thinkpad is build to be strong and functional. It has what some think are the best keyboards. They can take a beating and last a lont time.

Most laptops you see are extremely week in comparison. Apple's products are not bad usually, but they usually don't have the durability of the Thinkpads.

The Thinkpad isn't trying try have an image, with their shiny parts and fancy names (iSight. Its is a webcam.). It isn't trying to compete with catchy commercials. It is supposed to work, and work well. It speaks for itself. It doesn't need any catch phrases or anything like the Cult of Mac.

I like simplicity also.

damis648
October 15th, 2008, 01:43 AM
I more or less meant it in terms of priorities.
E.G., you shouldn't buy a computer because it looks better if there's a another one that's more functional at the same price.

I mean, in 5 years your computer won't be stylish, and then it won't be functional.
But if you buy the functional comp, it will stay functional, even if it isn't stylish.

That is a good point, but still. I did not say that Style > Functionality. I would NEVER buy a computer because it looks better if it is less functional. I want to make that clear. I want my computer to be just as functional, while being aesthetically appealing.

EDIT: Look at my page 3 edit. I summarized what I meant to say.

Delvien
October 15th, 2008, 01:58 AM
Ugliest mac since the original clear/randomcolor iMac's ( the big ones with the tube monitor)

Saint Angeles
October 15th, 2008, 08:04 AM
because my gpu melted away from my ibook's mother board a couple years ago, i refuse to buy any mac products.

that was the biggest waste of $2000 ever

but i really really miss garageband

ack389
October 15th, 2008, 08:41 AM
I am no fanboy of macs, although I do enjoy them. I build my desktops and prefer to buy apple notebooks. Yes they are very expensive, but I believe the build quality is excellent. My 2006 macbook pro is ROCK solid. There is no case bend, the hinge is extremely tight, and I have never had a problem with any hardware. The only downside is the awesome heat(heard it has been improved in more recent models) and some wifi troubles until hardy. I have beat this thing up way more than a $2700 laptop should be too. I know this hardware will last for many years to come.
I think apple designers and engineers try to make their machines as perfect as they can be, and they come out expensive because of it. Personally, I could never have afforded one if I didn't come across a large amount of money a few years ago. The new method for making the cases of these notebooks is expensive, but I have heard that the feel of it is fantastic.

hanzomon4
October 15th, 2008, 11:41 PM
Why settle for functional when you can have functional and style?

jgrabham
October 15th, 2008, 11:45 PM
The Thinkpad is build to be strong and functional. It has what some think are the best keyboards. They can take a beating and last a lont time.

Most laptops you see are extremely week in comparison. Apple's products are not bad usually, but they usually don't have the durability of the Thinkpads.

The Thinkpad isn't trying try have an image, with their shiny parts and fancy names (iSight. Its is a webcam.). It isn't trying to compete with catchy commercials. It is supposed to work, and work well. It speaks for itself. It doesn't need any catch phrases or anything like the Cult of Mac.

I like simplicity also.

I lose track of how many times people say "come on, honestly, if you had £1500 to spend on and laptop, you'd buy a mac." and I reply with "No, I'd buy a thinkpad"; it is impossible to say how amazing they are - I stood on, and dropped my old TP 600 a few times, and it still works!! Unfortunatly, I now own a Dell lappy - I couldn't afford a new TP :(

Oh, and from the front, the new macbook just looks like a Toshiba Satelite!!

jeyaganesh
October 15th, 2008, 11:50 PM
I lose track of how many times people say "come on, honestly, if you had £1500 to spend on and laptop, you'd buy a mac." and I reply with "No, I'd buy a thinkpad";

You might be a linux user. Mac is an alternative choice for people who dont like windows and linux

worx101
October 16th, 2008, 12:44 AM
They look like old style Acers :S

Not that nice

damis648
October 16th, 2008, 12:49 AM
Why settle for functional when you can have functional and style?

Exactly, Thank You! I never said I want a disfunctional laptop, but I want a functional one that hhas style. That's why I choose Dell.

ubu-for
November 18th, 2008, 02:10 PM
Is there any hope for MacBooks with matte display in the near future (MacWorld Expo 2009)?

Thanks!

Mr. Picklesworth
November 18th, 2008, 04:32 PM
Is there any hope for MacBooks with matte display in the near future (MacWorld Expo 2009)?

Thanks!

I'm sure the anorexic 17" MacBook Protean for $3000 will have a matte screen accessory available, to go with its new assortment of yet more display adapters. (Micro DisplayPort?)