PDA

View Full Version : We can help victim of Earthquake

Smash
December 29th, 2004, 11:27 AM
Hello! I have an idea.
I think that a big part of us has a website or blog etc..
We can create a "button link" to help them, using paypal. Someting like the "donate button" for open source projects.

Bye

eldrich_rebello
December 29th, 2004, 12:58 PM
got these things moving here.more would be appreciated.the scale of the damage here is shocking by any standards.writing from India btw.

xsos
December 29th, 2004, 05:38 PM
got these things moving here.more would be appreciated.the scale of the damage here is shocking by any standards.writing from India btw.
in aceh - indonsia 3000 people had died because of this disaster, many people who had survive lost their family , home, and everthing. what a shocking disaster.

oddabe19
December 29th, 2004, 06:32 PM
in aceh - indonsia 3000 people had died because of this disaster, many people who had survive lost their family , home, and everthing. what a shocking disaster.
the number total is up to 76,700 with twice as many expected to die from starvation. :-( so sad.

The thing that makes me feel really bad about it, is if it happened here (in the US) that number would be way way WAY less and almost no starvation problems. :-(

eldrich_rebello
December 29th, 2004, 07:28 PM
well.that;s the us.this is east asia.true though,what you say.what with disaster forewarnings and management they are far better equpiied than us.we gotta improve.

daniels
December 29th, 2004, 09:21 PM
Yeah, no more Banda Aceh, or Sri Lanka, really, or Krabi ... it's pretty horrid. If you do want to help, find one of the better, well-known charities operating in the area, and donate to them however you can. Personally, I would be hunting for others than the Red Cross, since they quite badly mismanaged donations after the Bali bombing, but it's pure personal preference. That's the best way to do it, though.

costoa
December 29th, 2004, 10:45 PM
CNN (http://www.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/asiapcf/12/28/tsunami.aidsites/index.html) has a list of sites. I've worked with Doctors Without Borders / Médecins Sans Frontières (http://www.doctorswithoutborders.org/ ) and can say they spend their money wisely. Save the Children (http://www.savethechildren.org) is pretty good too. I hope my goverment (US) can cough up at least $500m to help (small change compared to the money being spent in Iraq).

I was in the USCG and dealt with a fair amount of drowning victims, of course the most at one time was a family of eight and that still haunts me. I can't even imagine the horrors that are going on over there. I truely hope that the survivors can someday find some peace. I suspect that day is many, many years away if ever.

The latest count was 80k. It's likely another 80k will die over the next three weeks from dysentery and cholera. Long term fatalities over the year are projected at another 50k minimum. I can't even fathom that kind of distruction.

Be thankful for what you have. Share what you can.

2004-12-30 1433GMT
CNN is now reporting 120k dead. For those in the US please call your Congressman and Senator, be polite and implore them to start sending some real relief support ASAP. IMO we're a rich nation and can afford to send a lot more support than what has been pledged.

mark
December 30th, 2004, 04:41 AM
I've mentioned here before that I work for a non-profit organization - it just happens to be The Salvation Army. I should also point out that I'm a completely "secular" employee, not an officer nor a Salvationist. I can (and will) tell you that TSA is extremely diligent about the handling of monies (or other donations) earmarked to a specific purpose, i.e. the tragedy of these tsunamis. With that said, I will simply post this link: http://www1.salvationarmy.org/ihq/www_sa.nsf and leave the decision to you.

One other comment: if not TSA, then please consider contributing to another reputable, relief-oriented organization - these people will need all the help they can get.

xsos
December 30th, 2004, 06:39 PM
Yeah, no more Banda Aceh, or Sri Lanka, really, or Krabi ... it's pretty horrid. If you do want to help, find one of the better, well-known charities operating in the area, and donate to them however you can. Personally, I would be hunting for others than the Red Cross, since they quite badly mismanaged donations after the Bali bombing, but it's pure personal preference. That's the best way to do it, though.
Daniel, banda aceh maybe is terrorist teritory but the terrorist is small number of banda aceh people. dude their like us life from a flesh of blood and bone. They don't want terrorist be there. And now something happened and what we do, only see and say that good cause their are terrorist ? i think not, 1/2 people in jakarta will pray to banda aceh (for a good guys in aceh) and start to collect donnation for help them. something that i want to ask to you guys is pray for the good guys in aceh, feel if you guys is acehnesse and force to live in aceh and get that disasaster..

sorry Daniel no offence, I know Bali bombing is a tragic, in the past 2 years my friend killed on chrismast night when he want to go home from the church and the bomb explode, dam terrorist aceh. But we must have a positif thinking not all acehnesse a terrorist. and now they need help .. and not only aceh but all east asia need help. honestly i couldn't stand saw them crying.

with this desaster i got an idea, if you know nature movie like armagedon, the day after tomorow, why not it movie people make a movie from this tragedy, i will be great to honner their who lost their family ini this tragedy. thanks

Sorry for bad english

DoubleDangerClub
December 30th, 2004, 11:34 PM
I just donated $20 to oxfam. You can donate here:

Oxfam Donations for the Earthquake Relief (https://secure.ga3.org/02/asia_earthquake04)

I hope more people will donate.

daniels
December 31st, 2004, 06:49 AM
Daniel, banda aceh maybe is terrorist teritory but the terrorist is small number of banda aceh people. dude their like us life from a flesh of blood and bone. They don't want terrorist be there. And now something happened and what we do, only see and say that good cause their are terrorist ? i think not, 1/2 people in jakarta will pray to banda aceh (for a good guys in aceh) and start to collect donnation for help them. something that i want to ask to you guys is pray for the good guys in aceh, feel if you guys is acehnesse and force to live in aceh and get that disasaster..Agreed. But I don't want to get into the GAM vs. TNI debate; not here, anyway. I don't think there's anything good about this disaster, at all.

sorry Daniel no offence, I know Bali bombing is a tragic, in the past 2 years my friend killed on chrismast night when he want to go home from the church and the bomb explode, dam terrorist aceh. But we must have a positif thinking not all acehnesse a terrorist. and now they need help .. and not only aceh but all east asia need help. honestly i couldn't stand saw them crying.This is obviously an order of magnitude worse than Bali (over 120,000 vs. 180 or so), but I don't think GAM had anything to do with Bali, really (it was JI).

eldrich_rebello
December 31st, 2004, 04:32 PM
life goes on here.only thing flowing is condolences.not much of contributions from the general public.but all help must be greatly appreciated.can't imagine what'd happen if something like this struck the west coast of india,bombay included.percentages of the population would be killed.and when you talk over a billion people,that's a lot.

xsos
December 31st, 2004, 08:54 PM
Agreed. But I don't want to get into the GAM vs. TNI debate; not here, anyway. I don't think there's anything good about this disaster, at all.

This is obviously an order of magnitude worse than Bali (over 120,000 vs. 180 or so), but I don't think GAM had anything to do with Bali, really (it was JI).
Helo Daniel, in my opinion GAM didn't had anything to do with bali, but some terrorist activity in aceh do the bali bombing. may be you know what it is.

Oh yeah and thanks for all, thank u for your guys concern about desaster happened in Indonesia and some other countries. Thanks a lot. GBU.