PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Unison

Quarkrad
October 14th, 2008, 05:26 PM
Can anybody help a new Ubuntu user? I have two hard disks in my PC - one will be a backup of user docs. On hd1 I would like to create two folders:
Folder 1 for docs
Folder 2 for Photos

Ideally these would be on a different partition to where Ubuntu sits but I do not think Unison allows me to do this - so far it seems all I can select are local folders that sit under root (i.e. in the same partition where Ubuntu runs).

Now I would like to enter (into Unison) the remote folders that I want to sync with - i.e. my backup folders on hd2. I cannot see, though Unison's screens, how you enter the path for hd2. (In fact I cannot see how you would enter a path to a different partition on hd1). In windows terms it would be something like:

c:\ Ubuntu (on hd1)
d:\ folder 1 and folder 2 (on hd1)

e:\ Backup folder 1 (hd2)
f:\ Backup folder 2 (hd2)

I would like to sync

d:\folder 1 with e:\ folder 1
d:\folder 2 with f:\ folder 2

I have spend some hours on this but keep getting bogged down with Linux apps that do amazing complex things with remote PCs over networks. I am struggling to find something simple that will keep a duplicate of my working folders on hd1 on hd2. Unison has been suggested but I cannot seem to drive it. I can see other hd1 partitions in the 'Computer' window but so far not hd2. Any help/advice appreciate. (Note - I had this functionality via a small app on winxp called smartsync pro - it sync'd all folders on PC shutdown.

swisscow
October 14th, 2008, 05:55 PM
Have you installed unison-gtk - that gives the graphical frontend from which you can navigate to your chosen folders.

Don't know about internal drives, my external is mounted in the media folder.

Quarkrad
October 14th, 2008, 06:03 PM
thank yo - yes I did install this version. I do have a graphical front end - struggling to find out how to 'point' to different partitions.

swisscow
October 14th, 2008, 06:09 PM
try creating a new profile. Double click it, when the file picker comes up navigate to / i.e. root. Should be able to access everything from there.

Got to go, cooking dinner

Mazin
October 14th, 2008, 06:17 PM
It's not clear to me, but perhaps the confusion could be with the Unix filesystems.
Instead of having a different drive letter for every partition you have, each partition is mounted as a different directory underneath "/". In other words, they will appear as regular directories somewhere inside your filesystem "/".

Usually, your other hard drive partitions will be under /media/something

Or, you can right-click on the folder or drive on your desktop and see where it is (right-click→Properties→Volume tab→Mount point).

Quarkrad
October 14th, 2008, 06:30 PM
Thank you all - getting a little clearer. Yes I can see hd2 - as said all partitions and other HDs are visible under root. I did have a look at Properties for two demo folders I set up on two different partitions. They were both /media/xxx/folder name.

A little problem but I think I am on the way (at the moment Unison is telling me /media/xxx does not exist). I will keep trying and let you know.

Quarkrad
October 14th, 2008, 06:48 PM
OK - I've cracked the first part. Managed to set up and sync two folders - many tans for all your help. A couple of questions pls:

1. Created another profile but made silly mistake - can't see how to edit. I can create yet another but how do you delete profiles or edit mistakes in others.

2. Having set up a working profile (I went into the destination folder and saw new files in there) - what options are there to automate this/have it working in the background? Do you have to kick the backup/sync process off manually - if so how do you do it?

Mazin
October 14th, 2008, 07:24 PM
Hi. Scheduling tasks is a fundamental feature of Linux and Unix-like operating systems. Take a look at Cron (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/CronHowto). For an easier, graphical setup for scheduling tasks, install "gnome-schedule" which provides a front-end to cron and at.

swisscow
October 15th, 2008, 07:25 AM
[QUOTE=Quarkrad;5964660]OK - I've cracked the first part. Managed to set up and sync two folders - many tans for all your help. A couple of questions pls:

1. Created another profile but made silly mistake - can't see how to edit. I can create yet another but how do you delete profiles or edit mistakes in others.

To do this, open up your home folder and show hidden files. There will be a folder in ther called .Unison . Go into that, you can see your profiles. Edit them with a text editor or delete them.

Glad it is working

Quarkrad
October 15th, 2008, 12:28 PM
Sorry to keep asking questions. I have set up Unison to sync the folders I need, installed Gnome Scheduled Tasks and read the Help file. It looks OK to set up an automated schedule. What I do not understand is the Command string I need to input in order to kick off the sync'ing. Any help much apprecated - specific would be great but I feel I also need to read/understand these Command strings, how they work/what you enter etc.

Thanks.

Mazin
October 16th, 2008, 07:16 PM
If you just specify the command "unison", it should start unison which will automatically sync whatever is in your profile.