PDA

View Full Version : What is keeping you to stay with Linux?

extruct
October 14th, 2008, 05:01 PM
Hey there!
Linux is not perfect and experience some bugs and problems, but thanks to the developers it becomes better every day.
Sometime there are issues that can not be solved or very hard to solve. On moment like this I'm saying my self "enough, I'm going back to Windows" and after reboot to a fresh Windows system (I got a fresh windows installed: only updates, antivirus and firefox nothing else) and after this poor system, slow applications loading, stuck every few minutes I'm saying my self "No no no, Ill stay with Linux".
I think most of you will agree with me that because of Windows popularity more drivers available on this OS and there are less things that you need to dig in forums/google to find solution.
So I wanted to ask you: What are the reason(s) you stay on Linux?

hellion0
October 14th, 2008, 05:25 PM
To learn. It's the same reason I also keep a Windows partition as well as a Mac.

Ub1476
October 14th, 2008, 05:28 PM
Well, I rarely have driver or stability issues in Linux. Maybe a bit in my new laptop, but I know those will be fixed in a month or so.

The main thing is that after using Linux for two years I've become kinda "attached" to it. It's more fun to use your computer with Linux than Windows. Also I feel I have control. My system keeps going and going, and act as it's supposed to do. This hasn't been the case for me in Windows.

Also it's good to use something different and being a part of it. :)

fballem
October 14th, 2008, 05:47 PM
Actually, it's a couple of small things that keep me on Linux (and specifically on ubuntu), inspite of no Visio and one other application.

When I first installed ubuntu in May-2008, my printer (an HP Color LaserJet cp158ni) was not supported in hplip. Following instructions on the forum, I was able to report the bug in launchpad, received feedback from the developer within a day, had a workaround within two days, and a full fix within two weeks. Bearing in mind that I was a real newbie, as opposed to a sort-of newbie that I am now, I was really impressed! I don't think that, as an end user, I would have been able to find a fix that quickly in the Windows world. If the driver didn't exist, then I probably would have been out of luck.

The second reason is the combination of Windows Vista and Office 2007, both of which I had running quite well on my system - it is a high-end system. I have been a Windows / Office user since Windows 3.1, and always kept current with the technology. I got really good at using the tools. For Vista and Office 2007, the changes to the interfaces were not good. I could never get comfortable with them. In speaking with a lot of other people, they are having similar issues.

At the time that I converted, I was looking at some additional costs, but I had a month to play with before I needed to pay the freight. I had heard of ubuntu, tried it, and got quite comfortable. Generally, once things are working, they continue to work well and reliably. The fact that it is free is a bonus.

In about a year, I would may give OpenSolaris a try - it's not ready for 'prime time' yet, but in about a year, it may be worth checking out. In the meantime, I'm really quite happy with ubuntu - especially since I was able to get rid of the Orange and Brown. I am currently running Ibex Beta, and am quite pleased. The odd issue, but no show stoppers. I've even managed to install OpenOffice 3.0, so that will be my 'play time' activity for a while.

I still miss Visio, and I still miss Enterprise Architect (from Sparx Systems). Other than that, there is nothing that I am missing from Windows.

aysiu
October 14th, 2008, 05:54 PM
I think most of you will agree with me that because of Windows popularity more drivers available on this OS and there are less things that you need to dig in forums/google to find solution. I agree with you that there are more drivers available for Windows, but I don't agree that there are less things that you need to dig in forums/Google for in order to find solutions. I do Google searches all the time to find problems for Windows computers, and if you've ever done tech support for Windows, you know problems come up all the time, whether it's unofficial tech support for friends, family members, and co-workers; or official tech support at a formal job. I don't officially work in tech support, but I'd say consistently 3-4 times a week at this job and my last job I've had co-workers ask me how to fix some Windows problem of theirs.

So I wanted to ask you: What are the reason(s) you stay on Linux? It works for me better than any other operating system I've tried, and I like it. I don't experience any more problems with Linux than I have seen my friends and loved ones experience on Windows or Mac OS X. In fact, I often experience fewer problems.

SunnyRabbiera
October 14th, 2008, 05:57 PM
Well Linux is always improving itself, while OSX and windows remain stagnant and slow there seems to be something new for linux each day of the week.
Wile Windows and OSX take years to "innovate" while linux is years a head of both of them in between the time it takes to make a new Apple or Microsoft system.

SpenceMakesSense
October 14th, 2008, 05:59 PM
while windows released an new version every few years I get a new ubuntu every few months! Plus many...many more reasons

Iceni
October 14th, 2008, 06:19 PM
I've become rather fond of the way things work. Small things like scrolling an unfocused window, holding alt to move a window, placing different apps on different desktops, using tilda to play music with the ncurses interface. The small things that makes so much sense to me. I also like the fact that my workspace is focused on me and set up perfectly for just me. I could not do that in windows.

beno1990
October 14th, 2008, 06:37 PM
I use Linux for several reasons.

Firstly, I believe in the philosophy behind the GPL and I have a strong preference for free software. Windows is not only non-free software but it's produced by a monopolistic company. I don't think that even if Windows were a better operating system than Linux (which I don't believe) I'd use Windows over Linux on moral grounds alone, but there's more.

Secondly, I don't feel that the Windows operating systems meet my needs as a power user and a programmer. The native development environment (Visual Studio) is prohibitively expensive for a computer science student like myself and even the express editions don't meet the functionality I'd like out of an IDE, and while MonoDevelop isn't perfect I'd much rather support further development for that than switch back over to Windows and Visual studio. However, I also think that Linux meets my needs for a general desktop scenario more than Windows does as well. Open Office is a more powerful office suite than Microsoft office is in my opinion, Firefox is faster and less of a headache than IE, Thunderbird is better than Outlook, etc. Overall I just think that Linux has more going for it than Windows, and even where there is a bug in Linux, there's usually two or three in Windows.

Thirdly, I don't believe there's more hardware support for Windows than Linux in the main. There are a few areas like webcams which are improving, but other than that, a fresh install of Windows has you slaving away at installing drivers for hours when they're already there right after install 9/10 times on Linux. Linux is, in my experience, far more efficient and far faster than Windows is on the same hardware.

david_lynch
October 14th, 2008, 07:52 PM
I originally switched to linux to learn unix and enhance my technical skills and employability. As a result, I work as an IT pro. At work I use linux on the desktop, and manage linux servers.

The reason I stick with linux and use it on my own time is that it gives me far less grief, all things considered, than other OSes. It does everything I need or want, all with remarkably little hassle and without all the hype.

Whenever I have occasion to use ms windows, I feel like a parent crammed into a kindergarten desk at open house: It's uncomfortable, and I'm glad to get out of there when I'm done.

LaRoza
October 14th, 2008, 07:55 PM
Hey there!
Linux is not perfect and experience some bugs and problems, but thanks to the developers it becomes better every day.
It is more perfect than any Windows ;).

I think most of you will agree with me that because of Windows popularity more drivers available on this OS and there are less things that you need to dig in forums/google to find solution.

Not really. I have more troubles with Windows.

So I wanted to ask you: What are the reason(s) you stay on Linux?
It works the best.

cmay
October 14th, 2008, 08:00 PM
i stay becouse i love open source. i love linux .i love tux . i love these forums. but i do cheat a bit and use solaris ,freedos ,minix and desktop bsd sometimes. just dont tell anyone ;)

extruct
October 14th, 2008, 08:11 PM
Very interesting responses every one! Thanks! I would like to hear more so feel free to share :)

tenderone
October 14th, 2008, 08:29 PM
The second reason is the combination of Windows Vista and Office 2007, both of which I had running quite well on my system - it is a high-end system. I have been a Windows / Office user since Windows 3.1, and always kept current with the technology. I got really good at using the tools. For Vista and Office 2007, the changes to the interfaces were not good. I could never get comfortable with them. In speaking with a lot of other people, they are having similar issues.

From what i know them two have become bloatware even on highend machines, the original office was perfect and not broken, so why did MS think it needed fixing?

MickS
October 14th, 2008, 08:48 PM
First off I'm just a hobby user and find it does everything I need.
Occasionally I use windows at work and I have come to hate it, I miss my wobbly windows etc, I know eye candy but that is what makes it fun.
I go on a few wildlife forums and they always have a computer section where people are having all sorts of problems with viruses and anti virus programs, in fact more problems with anti virus than I have with the whole OS.

Mick

Dragonbite
October 14th, 2008, 09:06 PM
I'm happy to stay with Linux because of a number of reasons.

I'm a cheap b-a-s-t-*-*-*.. so the price of Linux is great to me
To get all of the programs I want/need I would have to pay through the nose (see reason above)
Linux is giving me less trouble than Windows XP (which is currently Blue Screen-dead)
Linux allows me to try things before plunking down money (example: I have been fooling around with Thin Clients and LTSP.. the Windows equivalent would require paying for multiple licenses)
Linux has greater innovation
Vista has a ways to go
to be a rebel
More Secure when going on the internet
Linux is much more flexible. I can a headless server, laptop, desktop and even phone running the same OS.
I like the challenge of making Linux meet all of my needs.

For a while I agonized about letting Windows go because I had this thought in my head "what if I want to work from home." Recently work gave me a laptop to do exactly that (part of our business continuity plan) so I didn't have to fiddle with a Cisco VPN anymore!

My Windows machine had Anti-Virus, -Spyware, -everything else and if I didn't use the machine often I would loose the first few hours I want to use it, to updates (definitions, Windows updates, scan system, etc.)

So Linux just works for me.

Bölvağur
October 14th, 2008, 09:18 PM
Because I just figured out how to use the list on this forum I would like to abuse that knowledge to answer your question:

having one desktop full of programs makes me feel bad (like phyco, no joke)
I have no reason to use Windows over Linux
Security
I can explore applications easy
Easy to get tech support from friends or forums
Ubuntu/Linux has become a hobby
If I would go back to windows I would have to go through learning curve + that I would curse MS for everything I think should be done differently.
I'm trying not to pirate programs, but it is very hard when you feel ethically sickened by the MS licensing.
No update manager and synaptic programs that come close to them in windows.

mrgnash
October 14th, 2008, 09:41 PM
There are quite a number of reasons (listed here in no particular order):

1. I believe in the philosophy of GNU/Linux.
2. Following the development of open-source applications and technologies is fun and exciting.
3. I love the GNOME desktop.
4. Package management/software repositories are great. The thought of having to go back to the chore of having to find, download, and install applications from the web is very off-putting.
5. Ubuntu Linux runs exceedingly well on my system.
6. The degree of customization available really suits my proclivity for having a system tailored to my particular needs/wants.
7. Texlive, the bash terminal, Vim, etc. have made my academic work so much easier. I know that these (or equivalents) are available on other platforms, but they don't tend to be as well integrated, and the setup can be a lot more involved -- on Windows at least.
8. Thanks to repositories like Medibuntu, having the latest codecs on hand is incredibly easy. It has been a long time since I had any problem playing back even the most obscure multimedia formats.
9. I feel that Linux has some of the best media players around, from Gnome/Mplayer, to Banshee 1.2, Totem and Amarok.
10. The Ubuntu community is always very helpful.
11. I love not having to worry about security (too much).
12. Being able to log on to IRC and chat with the developers of many of my favorite applications is amazing :)
13. I have become accustomed to the way GNOME works, and using the Terminal to execute the majority of tasks. One the occasions where I have to use Windows (such as the computers at university), I find it very awkward.

And that's just off the top of my head :)

Also, I don't tend to experience a lot of the hardware issues and whatnot that other users seem to (lucky?). Even though I am usually running a lot of alpha/beta software, and I usually join the testing of upcoming Ubuntu releases at around Alpha 5/6.

kjb34
October 14th, 2008, 09:54 PM
It's free. I like the security. It is easy for me to use. I don't like Windows. Did I mention it's free? Seriously I can do evrything that I need to with Linux so there's really no need for WIndows.

derekr44
October 14th, 2008, 11:05 PM
Cost
Secure
Open Source
Customizable

Sealbhach
October 14th, 2008, 11:25 PM
Ideological reasons are high up the list for me.

Other reasons, the repos are such an easy way to install software.

Security, absence of viruses.

brunovecchi
October 14th, 2008, 11:26 PM
It just started with an innocent dual booting to get some specific bioinformatic software running... the unquestionable superiority made me erase the Windows partition a few months later. It doesn't compare.

splitlenz
October 14th, 2008, 11:54 PM
I can't afford a mac right now, so this is my second choice.

I used windows all my life, kept switching from mandrake linux and windows.

I didn't like mandrake, then tried slackware, slackware was insane, i learned but i got tired of it, had to get things done, so back to windows.

i grew tired of windows, drag, click, click, i think if you took the keyboard away, you could almost do anything in windows, which i think is a design flaw. i can type way faster than i can click my way through menus and things.

i tried ubuntu back in the v7 days and my wireless didn't work, so that seemed useless, but i saw drivers being developed, so i kept it on the "one day i will try this again" list.

I did, and now im here with ubuntu 8.04 hardy heron and its working so far. I had a few hiccups, but im learning and getting used to where everything is at, a few problems still arise, but i've found solutions to get it working even if its not the "ideal" way.

The only thing i use windows for is photoshop and lightroom. gimp just isn't how i roll, and i don't know a linux replacement for something as advanced as lightroom. Once i get a mac, i'll probably be settled into their version of "linux" for years to come.

Open office is sweet, and mplayer is sweet, builtin games, firefox. Its all good so far. many programs i used in windows has linux ports already so i just installed those.

william_nbg
October 15th, 2008, 12:07 AM
To be honest. I was just bored one night about 4 years ago (my girlfriend was busy), had heard about Linux, had never even seen it live. I downloaded Debian, couldn't get it installed - got stuck on the partitioning.

I was intrigued though. Soon afterwards, I installed Mandrax: it wasn't right, Suse: wasn't right either, but getting warmer. Ubuntu: I've felt at home on my computer ever since.

I have never looked back.

yavez
October 15th, 2008, 12:14 AM
Open Source Philosophy is more in keeping with my own beliefs.

Can pick and choose which hardware I want to use (no hardware lock-in like Macs)

Linux works on older machines, giving them a longer life.

Everything I want and can do in other OS's I can do in Linux.

I only play casual flash games on the computer.

A welcoming community (Ubuntu specifically)

Customization.

Security.

Opportunity to learn.

It's actually a lot of fun to use Linux, and there's always something new just around the corner.

And, I suppose, to be part of this great movement toward open communications and sharing. That, in the end, is worth a few glitches here and there.

Ioky
October 15th, 2008, 12:20 AM
I stay with Linux because "Mac" has no style, Windows"simply bad". So Linux is the way to go. I try out many other os too. Just feel like Linux is so far what I want to use. PLUS I can do LFS which is really cool.

Chame_Wizard
October 15th, 2008, 12:42 AM
everything :P:P

earthpigg
October 15th, 2008, 12:57 AM
if it aint broke, dont fix it.

my laptop arrived with a broken OS (vista).

so, i fixed it (Ubuntu).

and now that it is fixed, why 'fix' it again by downgrading to vista or xp?

chris4585
October 15th, 2008, 04:37 AM
What keeps me on linux? I'm so use to it, only been using it straight for about 11 months, and in that time I've advanced myself more than I could ever dream of in Windows. I actually try to keep away from using Windows period. No linux is not perfect, I break stuff all the time, so I learn how to fix them, and learn not to do that again.

It took me a long time to learn all the tricks I know now. I'm lucky though my hardware works 99% with Ubuntu/Linux.

richg
October 15th, 2008, 05:12 AM
Very easy installation. It works. Much better security. No hard drive maintenance needed. Not bad for being retired and over 68 yers old.

Rich :)

Warren Watts
October 15th, 2008, 05:18 AM
I switched from windows to Linux about a year and a half ago. I installed Ubuntu in a dual boot configuration and soon discovered I wasn't even using windows anymore.

Before long, I had an entire home network set up, with an Ubuntu based server and three other machines running various distros.

Basically, I stuck with Linux because it allowed me to have practical, usable computers that didn't have to be equipped with loads of RAM, huge hard drives, and super-fast processors.

Linux has given me the opportunity to learn so much about the inner workings of computers. I have a MUCH better understanding of networking, and routers and such than I would have ever gained administering a home ms based network.

Oh yeah, and because it "Just works!"

patrickballeux
October 15th, 2008, 05:29 AM
Me, it is about freedom!

Freedom to install whatever I want
Freedom to uninstall whatever I don't want
Freedom to learn new stuff
Freedom to upgrade to the next release or not
Freedom to do things as I want
Freedom to tweak anything/everything
Freedom to have time to learn, instead of fixing
Freedom to be confortable on my PC
Freedom of not having to fix/repair/maintain the OS all the time

I've made the switch 4 years ago, and never looked back. Pick good hardware that is well supported, and you'll be more than happy!

My 2 cents!

MasterNetra
October 15th, 2008, 05:31 AM
Whats keeping me? Well for one no matter how long you've had it Ubuntu never fragments and gets slow like windows. Second I've become spoiled by the package managers & the fast and easy update manager. I also love the freedom at which you can actually mod your system as well as the secuirty that the system provides. It makes me feel a whole lot safer using Ubuntu opposed to using windows. Now only if i could run CS3 products and 3Ds Max 2008 on Ubuntu i would be able to toss windows for good and Ubuntu would have the entire hard drive to its self :P. (Yea i know the people at Wine are working on it but meh.)

Oh and most important of all... Its free for life!

Irihapeti
October 15th, 2008, 05:34 AM
A number of things:

It does all I need, and I don't have to worry about the price.

I don't need to worry about licensing either, e.g. am I a home user or do I count as commercial because I do a certain amount of work for payment? It's just a non-issue with FOSS.

I like to be a bit different.

Not having to worry about viruses, spyware and so on.

The opportunity to learn much more, instead of the "don't you worry your pretty head about that" attitude of a certain other OS.

And, of course, the forums. I have some unpleasant memories of the RTFM days of old, and I think it would be harder if it wasn't for the generally pleasant and helpful atmosphere on these forums.

Irihapeti

DOS4dinner
October 15th, 2008, 06:56 AM
1. I love Amarok. I could not live without it.

2. I can make a shortcut as big as a bagel on my screen.

3. I got tired of turning off my computer with a button labeled start.

4. The speed...fast boot ups and shut downs rock.

5. No pop ups saying "Would you like to send Microsoft an error report about TRON.exe?" Seriously, why would MS care if a random FPS didn't work?

6. Cleaner. The whole interface (to me) just seems so much more organized.

7. Wifi card setup: Put in my card, ubuntu found it, and configured it for me, instead of Windows which needed a driver CD that did not work worth garbage.

Overall, I just like how it works. oh, and

8: Powerful command line. I LOVE command lines.

toupeiro
October 15th, 2008, 09:32 AM
http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=5956281&postcount=836

scouser73
October 15th, 2008, 09:36 AM
The reasons I am using Ubuntu are; freedom of choice, ease of use, a change of themes, an excellent open source office suite, Rhythmbox, Thunderbird and the fact that people are contributing to this excellent operating system and it's free is just a mind blowing experience.

I am assured that there are no viruses for Linux "In the wild" and this puts me at ease, there is no continual checking to see if something has wormed it's way into your system unlike Windows, I have not encountered any compatibility issues as yet.

These forums; where would we be without you guys hey, I don't think other software manufacturers have even envisaged the power of these forums, and when I say power I mean it as when a question is posed, sometimes it has been asked and answered previously, and if it hasn't then you are practically guaranteed a speedy and effective response.

That is why I use Linux.

alwez_loner_TZ
October 15th, 2008, 01:41 PM
Well i'm a new user and i'm liking it so far but there is only on set back i'm doing graphics and Web development stuff and i have not had time to get to learn the equivalent packages in Ubuntu.

On the other hand it is free and i don't have to bother with pirated stuff any more.... It rocks and i'll still keep on using it till i master it like windows...

aeiah
October 15th, 2008, 01:46 PM
windows is a nightmare to google for compared to linux. linux is must better documented, largely due to the community aspect and the mindset of a lot of the developers.

cmat
October 15th, 2008, 01:53 PM
Not needing 5 or so drivers CDs during install is a start. A much more flexible system with security at it's focus is a bonus. I can't see a reason for me to leave. Not to mention the complete absence of the quirks that leave me scratching my head that are all too present on Windows. For instance I'm on Vista right now and my hard drive has been actively clicking away for the last 5 minutes for no reason.

EDIT: It's updating without my permission :(

Corfy
October 16th, 2008, 04:05 AM
There are a lot of reasons why I return to Linux. The fact that I work with Windows every day at the office just reinforces many of the reasons.

Free (no cost)
Freedom
No licenses (i.e., no restrictions on number of computers I can install it on)
No 25+ character security code to install software
Fewer viruses/adware/spyware
Easier software installation/updates through apt-get
No system registry
No built-in spyware (http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Windows/Big-Microsoft-Brother/)
I'm not considered a software pirate until proven innocent (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Genuine_Advantage)
I don't have to wait five years for an upgrade that breaks more than it fixes
More timely updates
It requires fewer system resources
It has lots of software available
It works
It does everything I need and want it to do

I was talking about Linux to a co-worker the other day and he commented, "So, would you say that Linux works as good as Windows?" I responded. "No, I would never say that. That would be a major insult to Linux."

Izek
October 16th, 2008, 02:52 PM
Nothing really other than better performance and compiz-fusion.

I in fact don't use Linux right now. I need my Windows for my Lexmark x4550 (Not Foomatic) and Flash CS3. Oh yeah, and the PSP Grader program if I want to use Custom Firmware on my PSP. Oh and, easier codec installation (w32codecs Took me forever to install on Ubuntu last time. I had problems too at times when playing movies.)

What else, oh yeah, EasyPHP if I need to test PHP Files and MySQL.

So I have a lot against Linux. Sorry if that goes against the existence of the thread here.

TDFZ
November 27th, 2008, 05:20 PM
Linux is better than any OS I have used. I just Love It!