PDA

View Full Version : IBM Lotus Symphony for Ubuntu

ooobuntooo
October 14th, 2008, 03:03 PM
http://symphony.lotus.com/software/lotus/symphony/home.nsf/ubuntu

An alternative to Open Office.

forrestcupp
October 14th, 2008, 03:58 PM
It's been around for a long time. Not that it matters, but it's not GPL or open source.

It has some great features, like their knock off of MS's WordArt, and all of the different effects you can add to your text.

I went back to OO.o because Symphony is slow and I don't like its interface. I don't like how it uses the same window for everything.

But it does have some cool features that are sadly lacking in OO.o.

Dragonbite
October 14th, 2008, 04:21 PM
This may be a help in pushing Ubuntu in the Enterprise market though.

Here we use MS Office 2003 & 2007 but if Symphony is going to be more compatible and competitive while being backed by IBM, then it may get past some of the bean-counters.

I like news like this because we're always looking for a way to run a coup on our Windows systems!
:lolflag:

SunnyRabbiera
October 14th, 2008, 05:38 PM
It's been around for a long time. Not that it matters, but it's not GPL or open source.

It has some great features, like their knock off of MS's WordArt, and all of the different effects you can add to your text.

I went back to OO.o because Symphony is slow and I don't like its interface. I don't like how it uses the same window for everything.

Well I think we can overlook the matter of Lotus not being open source with all the good IBM has done the linux community.

KiwiNZ
October 14th, 2008, 07:06 PM
a long time ????

Its only just out of Beta.

I use it ,It is very good . Waiting for the Mac version that is coming

hardyn
October 14th, 2008, 07:11 PM
http://symphony.lotus.com/software/lotus/symphony/home.nsf/products

how can it be based off OOo and not be open source? i thought OOo was GPL?

** never mind, its a BSD license.

forrestcupp
October 14th, 2008, 08:23 PM
a long time ????

Its only just out of Beta.Compiz has been around for a long time and is widely used and popular, yet it's still not out of beta. So that's not really a good point.

Considering how quickly things move in the Linux world, I've had Symphony installed for "a long time".

how can it be based off OOo and not be open source? i thought OOo was GPL?They based it off of an early version of OOo before it was under the GPL.

And I agree. My problem isn't that it is not open source; I use Vista a lot for crying out loud. My problem is mainly with Symphony's slow speed and it's bulky main window that houses everything. It also still has some bugs with fonts in copying and pasting.

Dragonbite
October 14th, 2008, 08:41 PM
How compatible with MS Office is it? 2007?

forrestcupp
October 14th, 2008, 09:41 PM
How compatible with MS Office is it? 2007?

It works pretty well with all but the new docx formats.

Dragonbite
October 15th, 2008, 02:02 AM
It works pretty well with all but the new docx formats.

I've got to download and try it when my wife gets off the laptop.

I see mention for Red Hat and SUSE but no links to download it. Is this available for these distributions too?

GMU_DodgyHodgy
October 15th, 2008, 02:37 AM
IBM should get some credit for offering a new product based on Open Office. The plug-in architecture in Eclipse also allows a whole lot of potential for plug-in functionality.

Now IBM is also putting 50-55 full time developers on the OpenOffice.org project. They do see it as an opportunity to getting the Linux Desktop into the enterprise. They are using it internally. The Lotus Symphony project - in Eclipse - also allows them to integrate it with the Lotus Notes 8.0 platform.

It may not be for everyone - but IBM is putting money and resources behind Linux and open source projects.