PDA

View Full Version : The "hello thread"

JoshPowell
November 25th, 2005, 12:16 AM
Just so I can get that annoying box to go away ;)

I've been using Linux for a while now, so I know my way around it somewhat.. but not very advanced at the shell, but that shall change soon. I haven't been using Ubuntu for that long.. just since 5.04 came out pretty much. It was Mandrake before that.. but just got tried of the bloat. (And KDE. I never really liked the way Gnome was setup in Mandrake/Mandriva.. but its awesome in Ubuntu. I've finally gotten used to.. going back to KDE now just seems wrong.)

Anyway, just thought I'd say hello.

Josh

Edit: Oh, thats just great. The community chat doesn't count for your post count. I suppose I'll go and make a real post to get the box to go away ;)

SuperMike
November 25th, 2005, 03:57 AM
... but its awesome in Ubuntu. I've finally gotten used to.. going back to KDE now just seems wrong.)

Anyway, just thought I'd say hello.

Welcome aboard. Yeah, I did the mistake of going into KDE territory when I first used Linux. When I discovered a full-blown, upgraded GNOME environment in RH9, I was sold. But then that quickly got stale and I loved how Ubuntu was more asymptotic to the cutting edge with GNOME. Another reason I moved from RH9 to Ubuntu was because of updates. Someone introduced me to "apt" while I was on RH9 and some German guy was sooo nice extending the life of the RH9 OS by making his own "apt" repository. I became a HUGE fan of apt. It solves one of the biggest problems I have had with Unix and Linux -- making installations almost user-friendly. So when I saw that Ubuntu was jumping on board with that and had decided to go mainly GNOME instead of KDE (kubuntu was done later), I said, heck yeah, and jumped on that. I can say now that it was a wise decision.