PDA

View Full Version : How to install Cedega on Ubuntu

nejc0
December 29th, 2004, 10:33 AM
Hi!
Please help me......How to install Cedega on ubuntu.....and how to install game and play?
Bye

p!=f
December 29th, 2004, 11:06 AM
Use search feature on this forums. :)
See this thread:
http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=4428&page=1&pp=20

Perfect Storm
December 29th, 2004, 11:36 AM
Grab it at www.transgaming.com (cost $5 at month). There's cedega.deb files. But go for the Point2Play.deb it's a nice gui for cedega (easy to use). Through Point2Play press download Cedega.

To install a deb file:

cd /where/you/saved/the/file/
sudo dpkg -i Point2Play_[version].deb

Now you can run Point2Play by writting in the terminal or the 'run application' box by writing 'Point2Play' Or make a application launcher like this

nautilus applications:///Games

File Menu -> Create Launcher

Basic Tab ->
Name: Cedega
Command: Point2Play
Icon: /usr/share/icons/Point2Play.xpm

Now go to Applications ---> Games and press Cedega icon.

That's it :)

Randabis
January 1st, 2005, 02:10 PM
I've found a free alternative to Point2Play, it's called Grapevine.

Do a google search for it. It has .deb files for easy installation. It works great. There's also .deb files out there for the latest Cedega.

hardcandy
January 1st, 2005, 05:26 PM
I've found a free alternative to Point2Play, it's called Grapevine.
Come on, give the guys at Transgaming their $5 a month. I'll bet you can afford it. At least let some programmer keep working. If 1000 people chip in $5 a month, I'd bet that would keep someone working.

Randabis
January 1st, 2005, 05:53 PM
Come on, give the guys at Transgaming their $5 a month. I'll bet you can afford it. At least let some programmer keep working. If 1000 people chip in $5 a month, I'd bet that would keep someone working.
Linux is about having choices. I simply provided another option and verified that it works.

pavkonti
January 2nd, 2005, 12:19 AM
http://www.linux-gamers.net/modules/wfsection/article.php?page=1&articleid=45

the_epic
February 18th, 2008, 07:34 AM
I double clicked on the .deb file. Everything installed perfectly (or so it says). But I can't locate it anywhere.

Edit: Never mind, I located it.

multilanguman
March 8th, 2008, 11:55 AM
[QUOTE=the_epic;4353150]I double clicked on the .deb file. Everything installed perfectly (or so it says). But I can't locate it anywhere.

I did the same, but my problem is that when I try to launch cedega, my system either freezes completely (just like in the bad old Windows days) or logs out. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling, no difference. I suspect I may have to reinstall Ubuntu and try again.

b0ktai
June 20th, 2008, 01:41 PM

Is not the whole linux thing 'free distribution'?

Perfect Storm
June 20th, 2008, 04:20 PM
Is not the whole linux thing 'free distribution'?

No - It's about an alternativ. You can't say Linux equals GNU (open source) equals free software (as in free beer). It's much more complex to define.

You can get close source software for linux which you can get for free (freeware) and commercial (pay-ware).
Then you have Open Source and again which license the Open Source is under, you can get freely - then there's Open Source software which cost money, it's still free (as in Open Source), but cost money.

This is a quick and rough explaination. If you want and indepth of diffrent license I suggest google/wiki search and alot of coffee because it's a jungle of FUD and facts out there, and everybody also have an opinion which can be biased towards one or another.