PDA

View Full Version : New Icons

hyper_ch
October 14th, 2008, 08:03 AM
I like the new icons (like the thanks one) however the "report" button isn't obvious anymore. You'll only find out what it does if you move your mouse over it. I think it still should be labelled "report" :)

Joeb454
October 14th, 2008, 08:56 AM
I think you're right about the report button actually.

We'll have to wait and see if the reports become less :)

Elfy
October 14th, 2008, 09:45 AM
But what is the thanks supposed to be? Looks like a jar of peanut butter in which I will have to leave it well alone ;)

Agree with report button though.

Canis familiaris
October 14th, 2008, 01:29 PM
Yes The Report Button is no longer apparent.

Nano Geek
October 14th, 2008, 02:02 PM
Yea, I agree about the report button. It doesn't even show a tool-tip for me.

FuturePilot
October 14th, 2008, 02:03 PM
But what is the thanks supposed to be? Looks like a jar of peanut butter in which I will have to leave it well alone ;)

Agree with report button though.

I think it looks like a lemon on a rope.

I do agree with the OP though. It is rather hard to make out where the report button is.

cyberdork33
October 14th, 2008, 03:41 PM
i like the new icons (like the thanks one) however the "report" button isn't obvious anymore. You'll only find out what it does if you move your mouse over it. I think it still should be labelled "report" :)
+1

Nano Geek
October 14th, 2008, 08:49 PM
The Online/Offline icon is also really poorly done.
I didn't have any idea what it meant until I saw the tool-tip. I think that the sun/moon icons were much better.

LaRoza
October 14th, 2008, 09:05 PM
I didn't have any idea what it meant until I saw the tool-tip. I think that the sun/moon icons were much better.

There is a different icon when the user is offline.

It is just an icon change.

ubuntu-geek
October 14th, 2008, 10:33 PM
:) I love it when people complain free awards will be handed out later. The thank you button is an award with a + on it, it seems fitting don't you think? The report icon is a notebook with a person on it which in my twisted mind seemed fitting and finally if a user is online they are green, offline they are gray and invisible they are orange. Expect more changes soon.

LaRoza
October 14th, 2008, 10:34 PM
Expect more changes soon.

You don't scare me.

ubuntu-geek
October 14th, 2008, 10:50 PM
You don't scare me.
Be scared ;) I think we'll go with a windows vista icon scheme, yes?

LaRoza
October 14th, 2008, 10:52 PM
I think we'll go with a windows vista icon scheme, yes?

What does Windows Vista look like?

ubuntu-geek
October 14th, 2008, 10:54 PM
Well I'll have to go google it first.. :P

paul101
October 14th, 2008, 10:59 PM

well

it has twansparisies and teh orb is bigger than teh taskbar and new advhanshes in technolomogoclally maye seaching your files fasta and more eficant. and te new sideba incweases pwaductivities by alowing gadgeties to dispway the weatha on ur desktap. al af tis new tecnowogy makes it swow and bwoated

mssever
October 14th, 2008, 11:41 PM
Am I missing something? The only different icon I see is the thank button. The report and online/offline icons look exactly the same as they have for a while now (several months?).

Oh, and I like the new thank button better than the old one. It's a little clearer what it means.

Nano Geek
October 15th, 2008, 01:25 AM
Am I missing something? The only different icon I see is the thank button. The report and online/offline icons look exactly the same as they have for a while now (several months?).

Oh, and I like the new thank button better than the old one. It's a little clearer what it means.Try Ctrl+F5

Nano Geek
October 15th, 2008, 01:26 AM

It is just an icon change.I know. I just fell like harassing the staff once in a while. :)

LaRoza
October 15th, 2008, 01:26 AM
I know. I just fell like harassing the staff once in a while. :)

I hope you weren't hurt, unless you meant "felt" :-)

JoshuaRL
October 15th, 2008, 01:36 AM
I hope you weren't hurt, unless you meant "felt" :-)

Or "feel" if the urge doesn't go away so easily as some of the staff wishes it would.

LaRoza
October 15th, 2008, 01:37 AM
Or "feel" if the urge doesn't go away so easily as some of the staff wishes it would.

Well, we can make them go away.

JoshuaRL
October 15th, 2008, 01:52 AM
Well, we can make them go away.

Yes yes, I know. Resistance is futile.

mssever
October 15th, 2008, 03:10 AM
I just noticed something. Apparently my browser was caching some of the icons for longer than usual, which is why I didn't see all the new icons earlier. Now that I do see them, I noticed that the icon for invisible people is the brightest, most visible, of the bunch. I would have expected the icon for invisible folks to be semi-transparent, or wearing a trench coat, or something. (Or maybe invisible. :))

paul101
October 15th, 2008, 12:58 PM
do i have the right to complain??

LaRoza
October 15th, 2008, 01:27 PM
do i have the right to complain??

No.

paul101
October 15th, 2008, 01:32 PM
can i just do it anyway. . . ?

LaRoza
October 15th, 2008, 01:45 PM
can i just do it anyway. . . ?

Sure.

There are no such thing as "rights" I believe. Ever. Anywhere.

lukjad007
October 15th, 2008, 01:56 PM
If we are to keep with the same theme, let's just get rid of the http://ubuntuforums.org/images/buttons/quote.gif button with:
http://www.boingboing.net/_01Independent-Projects_03Speech-Bubbles_Bubble.jpg

The Submit button should be:

http://www.webweaver.nu/clipart/img/people/hands/hand-holding-paper.gif.

The preview button should be:

http://www.buysellbiz.com/considering.JPG

or maybe:

http://association.cqu.edu.au/cqusa_new_site/cqusa%20site/aaflash/Menu/Site/matt%27s%20revision/Webthinking%202.jpg

I really do like this new theme. It really is simple and make sense. It is waaay better than the other, especially the report button.

Of course, these are just suggestions and must be scaled down, but I think you get the idea.

paul101
October 15th, 2008, 02:33 PM
Sure.

There are no such thing as "rights" I believe. Ever. Anywhere.

you have the right to remain silent, anything you do or say will be mis - interpreted and used against you in court. . . do you understand?

hyper_ch
October 15th, 2008, 02:36 PM
in the UK you don't have the right to remain silent because of the RIPA act ;)

LaRoza
October 15th, 2008, 02:36 PM
do you understand?

No entendo

LaRoza
October 15th, 2008, 02:39 PM
in the UK you don't have the right to remain silent because of the RIPA act ;)

Ah, but that is my point. Rights don't exist. There is only what you can do, what you can't do, and what you are willing to do.

Of these three, only what you are willing to do matters. Laws and such are meaningless. Rights are meaningless. They only change consequences for certain actions. Anyone who truly believed in what they wanted to do, would do it regardless. Anything else is meaningless.

lukjad007
October 15th, 2008, 02:46 PM
Wow. Who knew buttons would start this in depth discussion on reality?

Nano Geek
October 15th, 2008, 02:50 PM
I hope you weren't hurt, unless you meant "felt" :-)Note to self: Never misspell a word because LaRoza is a spelling-nazi.

lukjad007
October 15th, 2008, 02:52 PM
Godwin's law! I call Godwin's law! You loose.

paul101
October 15th, 2008, 03:00 PM
Wow. Who knew buttons would start this in depth discussion on reality?

reality is relative

is this world we live in even real??

lukjad007
October 15th, 2008, 03:36 PM
reality is relative

is this world we live in even real??
Of course silly! I know you are a simple sub-routine on the holodeck. If I step out these doors I'll be on Voyager. I know reality from fiction!

LaRoza
October 15th, 2008, 04:02 PM
Note to self: Never misspell a word because LaRoza is a spelling-nazi.

Not when it doesn't change the meaning of the sentence.

Godwin's law! I call Godwin's law! You loose.

"lose". I am not loose.

lukjad007
October 15th, 2008, 04:04 PM
I know. I wondered when someone would mention that. ;)

Nano Geek
October 15th, 2008, 04:12 PM
"lose". I am not loose.Well that's a whole other topic there. :)

Joeb454
October 15th, 2008, 05:07 PM
"lose". I am not loose.

Since you're a spelling Nazi (apparently) I will reverse our roles a little

No entendo

This fails, it doesn't mean what you think ;)

It should be: "No entiendo"

LaRoza
October 15th, 2008, 05:33 PM
This fails, it doesn't mean what you think ;)

It should be: "No entiendo"

Knew I was missing something...

paul101
October 15th, 2008, 05:35 PM
Knew I was missing something...

brain? common sense? reality?

LaRoza
October 15th, 2008, 05:37 PM
brain? common sense? reality?

The "i".

mssever
October 15th, 2008, 05:44 PM
Ah, but that is my point. Rights don't exist.
Legally, they do--at least in many jurisdictions. For example, the first ten amendments to the US Constitution spell out some basic rights that all Americans have. And the courts have expanded several of the amendments to make them apply to the state and local levels, as well. Unfortunately, those rights haven't always been protected like they should, but they still exist.

What is more interesting, though, is the question of where rights come from. Of course on a forum such as this one, which is privately owned, an individual's rights are pretty much only what the admins decide to grant. And they have the right to revoke those rights for any or no reason. Anyone who doesn't like that is invited to start their own forum.

But when it comes to rights in the broader sense, things get interesting. The founders of the US believed that certain rights were granted by God Himself and therefore government had no legal authority to challenge those rights. Essentially, they said, the primary purpose of government is to protect the rights of the people.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.--That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, --That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness.

The Universal Declaration of Human Rights (http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Universal_Declaration_of_Human_Rights), on the other hand, derives its force from logic and the willingness of governments to consent. In other words, the UDHR in a sense sees rights as granted by a benevolent government.

If you think about it, there's quite a difference between a) stating that people have inherent rights and governments primarily exist to protect those rights, and b) governments agreeing to grant certain rights to all people.

LaRoza
October 15th, 2008, 05:50 PM
Legally, they do
The rules of transitive societies without any global control. They are "other people". The authority for the laws of governments come from the people who have the power.

Essentially, they said, the primary purpose of government is to protect the rights of the people.

In reality, they don't do that. The government (read "other people") protect their own rights and only satisfy the people enough to keep their power.

The Universal Declaration of Human Rights (http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Universal_Declaration_of_Human_Rights), on the other hand, derives its force from logic and the willingness of governments to consent. In other words, the UDHR in a sense sees rights as granted by a benevolent government.

More people.

If you think about it, there's quite a difference between a) stating that people have inherent rights and governments primarily exist to protect those rights, and b) governments have agreed to grant certain rights to all people.

But, governments don't matter. My point of view is borderless. Society is in a perpetual state of anarchy. People who view the governments as legitimate sources of authority think anarchy would lead to chaos, with people with power eventually controlling other people. In effect, with anarchy, governments would exist as a result.

FuturePilot
October 15th, 2008, 06:03 PM
Well I do like the new folder icons on the front page. :)

cyberdork33
October 15th, 2008, 08:46 PM
+1 again.

paul101
October 15th, 2008, 09:14 PM

stop taking this off-topic topic off-topic :evil:

lukjad007
October 15th, 2008, 09:30 PM
Yeah!

FuturePilot
October 15th, 2008, 09:59 PM

So that would be on-topic then? :)

paul101
October 15th, 2008, 10:02 PM
So that would be on-topic then? :)

stop being confusing. . . !!!

FuturePilot
October 15th, 2008, 10:10 PM
stop being confusing. . . !!!

I try my best. ;)

twisted_steel
October 15th, 2008, 10:10 PM
Not to go too far off topic, but I love the new icons. Keep up the great work :mrgreen:

twisted_steel
October 15th, 2008, 10:13 PM

What if you make the offline icon a person that is asleep rather than a slightly darker version?

paul101
October 15th, 2008, 10:42 PM
http://www.esato.com/board/images/smiles/icon_sleep.gif

init1
October 16th, 2008, 12:08 AM

It is just an icon change.
Yes but the difference is more subtle.

lukjad007
October 16th, 2008, 12:39 AM
Not easy to see if you are not colour aware. :(