PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Cant Install Ubuntu (any type) with new Gigbyte mother board

beach_defender
October 14th, 2008, 06:56 AM
Hi,
WE recently replaced the motherboard in one of our workstations with a Gigbyte GA-73PVM-S2H with a Sata Asus DVD R/W and Barracuda Sata 250 Gb HDD.

We hgad tried to install from the old DVD drive and we had a number of issues (I'm sorry I don't have them available now - this was going to be quick)- something to the effect that we were getting I/O faults trying to write to the disk.(mm_write?)

Anyway, we've move much further into the fog since then. (that's when I replaced the DVD Drive on advice from my 'boffin').

Since then I've tried to install 8.0.4 from the LiveCD, from the mini.iso with no luck whatsoever, but no obvious error message - just a 'failed' message. With the mini install. it gets to about 6% of downloading applications and then gets stuck for hours (today > 4), and then ultimately fails.

So, I'm now stuck, but unbowed or broken, so While I reverted to the Windoze laptop (W2J - soon be be Ubuntu as well) so, I can keep working, but I am now convinced that I will make this sucker work.

I would truly appreciate any thoughts, such as finding the problem and then even solving it.

I appreciate all responses.

Stay well
Barry Steele

Partyboi2
October 14th, 2008, 09:09 AM
If you are having problems with your cdrom you could consider using unetbootin (http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/)to install ubuntu.