PDA

View Full Version : slime/emacs text style is unreadable

xolot1
October 14th, 2008, 04:45 AM
hey guys

i was inspired to start exploring lisp this past weekend, so i recently installed cmucl and slime, the emacs ide.

these installed easily and i was on my way quickly. when i went to open up a new file for writing, i hit the wrong key combination (without realizing) and entered a number of commands that may not have been right. however due to the fact this was the first time i was attempting to open a new file, im not sure if this is still the correct view, or wrong.

whats wrong:
when editing a file (not the REPL), uncompiled code is represented by gray text on a gray background. they are the same shade, so i have no idea what im typing (well i know what im typing, but i dont get to see what ive typed). i only see blocks where the characters should be. once i compile the code (C-c C-c) the text is re-rendered to a different style -- one that looks much more normal.

ive attached a screenshot to show what i mean. both sections display the same text, but the top is compiled, while the bottom is not.

how can i edit the preferences of emacs so that i can easily see the uncompiled text? im not an emacs guru, so im not really sure what commands to search for on google.

thanks a lot!

xolot1
October 14th, 2008, 06:04 AM
well after installing the themes package and changing the themes, i can see the text. however some of the themes continue to suggest this unreadable combination.

am i missing something regarding the development of lisp? right now im reading through the Practical Common Lisp to get a sense of the language -- its quite good!

thanks