PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] Xubuntu/Digital Picture Frame

thecolorifix
October 14th, 2008, 03:18 AM
I'm trying to take an old laptop that I put Xubuntu on, and turn it into a digital picture frame.

Why is this so amazingly hard to do?

I'm no linux expert so I would be happy if the damn screensaver just turned on, but in Xubuntu it doesnt!

I'm at the end of my rope, I must have looked at every google result for every combination of "xubuntu digital picture frame" 5 times now!

Is there any way to get this to work with less than 15 steps?

Or can anyone link me to a tutorial that isn't ridiculously complicated?

I'm very frusturated cause I was under assumption that the screensaver would work in Xubuntu and all I'd have to do for a simple slideshow is leave the computer idle.

Thank you so much for any help, I'm pulling my hair out here.

denham2010
October 14th, 2008, 09:35 PM
Hi,

XFCE does not come with a default screensaver like Gnome or KDE. You need to install xscreensaver from synaptic.

Cheers.

rmoody
October 29th, 2008, 05:21 AM
This can be done very easily. First, install feh (it's in the repos) it's a slideshow program. What I do is have feh run on startup and totally disable the screensaver and power management. To handle turning the frame off at night, I setup a cron job to force the dpms off: xset dpms force off, later when you want it back on, xset dpms force on. PM me and I will send you my instructions on how I setup Ubuntu. I have been working on adapting it for Xubuntu, but it's just not as easy.

thecolorifix
November 14th, 2008, 07:24 AM
I got so frusturated that I gave up for a shile, but in the next few days I'll be back to tackling this and looking for advice.