PDA

View Full Version : Serious Ubuntu ad from Dell - in US newspapers

Ub1476
October 13th, 2008, 10:02 PM
Recently we saw that Dell show off Ubuntu on its Mini Inspiron 9 (video) ad, however, any word of Ubuntu is excluded.

On Sunday, a flier in US newspapers includes an ad featuring Ubuntu with the mini pc, mentioning no word about Windows at all.

I believe this is a HUGE step for Linux. I think there might be no way Linux can gain great marketshare without ads - people get to know and become comfortable with it. But now we have it.

Grats to Dell :popcorn:

Source (http://www.thevarguy.com/2008/10/13/dell-launches-consumer-advertising-for-ubuntu-linux-pcs/)

LaRoza
October 13th, 2008, 10:05 PM
I just got my Dell 910 and Ubuntu as configured by it is very usable.

mostwanted
October 13th, 2008, 10:06 PM
Nice! Very fitting that they present it along with a cup of coffee.

aysiu
October 13th, 2008, 10:06 PM
That is huge. Wow! I don't know if that means people will go out and buy Ubuntu instead of XP, but at least it legitimizes Ubuntu and Linux and gets people more familiar and comfortable with it as being an option.

Ub1476
October 13th, 2008, 10:08 PM

How's the speed? Is it warm or noisy? Pictures please. :)

god0fgod
October 13th, 2008, 10:09 PM
Would help if the laptop wasn't so ugly.

amendt
October 13th, 2008, 10:17 PM
Without advertisement, Linux will perish. Now if we can make everything "just work" easily so we can avoid resentment backlash by promoting "beta code". Mind you Gmail (http://gmail.com) is still in beta and Hotmail still wants you to upgrade to the latest IE and doesn't recognize Firefox 3.02

YourSurrogateGod
October 13th, 2008, 10:24 PM

What's wrong with how it looks? It's minimalist/cute, imo :) .

OutOfReach
October 13th, 2008, 10:26 PM
Wow! Kudos to Dell. :)

smoker
October 13th, 2008, 10:27 PM
Without advertisement, Linux will perish.

linux use is increasing rapidly without the advertising. ads will help, obviously, but linux is in no danger of perishing!

glad dell is getting into the coffee business in a big way:lolflag:

Riffer
October 13th, 2008, 10:33 PM
Hmm interesting. I wonder whats happened at Dell? Going from at best a lukewarm support (as in marketing) for Ubuntu, to showing Ubuntu front and centre of a major ad.

smoker
October 13th, 2008, 10:34 PM

when's the review of all the idiosyncracies, or maybe rather, the machine's unique excellence, during intensive use?:)

LaRoza
October 14th, 2008, 02:57 AM
How's the speed? Is it warm or noisy? Pictures please. :)

As it has no hard disk ;) It is very quiet. It runs well. See blog for full review.

I have one, and I see no ugly.

Without advertisement, Linux will perish.

Not really. You mean widespread adoption on the desktop computer by OEM's don't you?

when's the review of all the idiosyncracies, or maybe rather, the machine's unique excellence, during intensive use?:)

It seems to have a battery life of 4 hours or more. It is very light and runs well. The default configuration would likely make an experienced Ubunt user think they did everything OK, except for the Dell bar, which seems out of place, but as my blog shows, you can easily use the default Ubuntu interface (or customise it like most of us do).

The keyboard isn't too small, and the letters and number keys are full size. It is smaller than a regular keyboard, but it isn't too small.

It comes with codecs and flash and I watched a youtube video of Russell Peters and had it on for over an hour (using battery) and it didn't get too hot to handle and the only warmness was on the keyboard (and it was just warmer, being cold in my room, it stood out).

Murrquan
October 14th, 2008, 03:47 AM
Questions: What country was it made in, and does Compiz work on your mini?

zmjjmz
October 14th, 2008, 03:54 AM
Does Compiz work on your mini?
The Dell Bar itself uses compositing, so I imagine it would.

LaRoza
October 14th, 2008, 03:57 AM
Questions: What country was it made in, and does Compiz work on your mini?

I don't know exactly, but I would bet Taiwan: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compal_Electronics

Does it work? I don't know. Probably, the hardware indicates it would, although it doesn't come with Compiz and I don't use Compiz.

matthew
October 14th, 2008, 04:19 AM
Awesome! Thank you, Dell.

Murrquan
October 14th, 2008, 04:25 AM
I don't know exactly, but I would bet Taiwan: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compal_Electronics

Does it work? I don't know. Probably, the hardware indicates it would, although it doesn't come with Compiz and I don't use Compiz.

Does it not say what country it's made in on the bottom?

From what I can tell, Compal's based in Taiwan but has at least one factory in mainland China.

kevdog
October 14th, 2008, 04:39 AM
Does this thing have a DVD player in it? Im looking for a replacement on plane trips for my portable DVD player. It would be nice to access internets on the concourses, and then play movies on planes. If it has no DVD player -- what is the point?

LaRoza
October 14th, 2008, 04:44 AM
Does it not say what country it's made in on the bottom?

From what I can tell, Compal's based in Taiwan but has at least one factory in mainland China.

I would bet parts of it are made in many places.

Does this thing have a DVD player in it? Im looking for a replacement on plane trips for my portable DVD player. It would be nice to access internets on the concourses, and then play movies on planes. If it has no DVD player -- what is the point?

No, but you can get a portable player when you order it (I already have one).

It is a netbook, not a portable DVD player (I have one of those too). It would be like saying since the portable DVD player doesn't have a keyboard, webbrowser and internet access, what is the point?

MaxIBoy
October 14th, 2008, 05:58 AM
It would be like saying since the portable DVD player doesn't have a keyboard, webbrowser and internet access, what is the point?...which is an extremely valid argument, in my opinion.

Back on topic, I think it's great that they're doing this, but the way the ad is set up, it almost looks like a disclaimer that they're trying to hide from customers. I'll be excited when they treat Linux as a selling point.

bigbrovar
October 14th, 2008, 06:12 AM
Little by little we are getting there

mrgnash
October 14th, 2008, 06:21 AM
Nice! Very fitting that they present it along with a cup of coffee.

I thought so too! I'm very impressed by that ad :D

joninkrakow
October 14th, 2008, 08:33 AM
Back on topic, I think it's great that they're doing this, but the way the ad is set up, it almost looks like a disclaimer that they're trying to hide from customers. I'll be excited when they treat Linux as a selling point.

I'm not sure where you're seeing that. I see the title, "More fun, less baggage" as a not-so-subtle hint that Windows carries a lot of baggage with it, considering that Dell chose to prominently display the Ubuntu desktop (in all it's brown glory), and even tells what version of Ubuntu Linux it's running. I'm not sure where the disclaimer is...

-Jon

Greyed
October 14th, 2008, 08:48 AM
As it has no hard disk ;) It is very quiet. It runs well. See blog for full review.

Oh my. This is so tempting. My aged Latitude CPx has been begging to be replaced for years now. This looks like an excellent compromise between price and performance given what I traditionally use my laptop for.

DC@DR
October 14th, 2008, 09:22 AM
This is great news :-)

fiddledd
October 14th, 2008, 09:57 AM
Well I've seen lots of hype in these forums, but mostly it was just that, hype.

But this is the first thing I've seen that actually might mean something. For the first time Ubuntu actually exists outside of these forums, let's hope others follow Dell's lead.

Sealbhach
October 14th, 2008, 10:26 AM
All of your base are belong to us.

This is what desktop Linux really really needs.

Backing from a trusted hardware vendor to give it an air of legitimacy. It's trust by association.

I think Michael Dell must be a huge Ubuntu fan.

lancest
October 14th, 2008, 01:29 PM
You can easily find netbooks/notebooks being sold with Linux or no operating system at all where i live. Including from Dell. People will resist these but as the software gets more attractive -Linux will gain market. Netbooks are a great place for Linux to gain a foothold. IMHO not a question of if- but when. As soon as prices start to drop netbook popularity is going to climb even higher.

I-75
October 14th, 2008, 01:49 PM
Thanks for posting this....

FINALLY a advertisement that isn't afraid to say Linux in it and more importantly Ubuntu is mentioned. We definately arrived!

ronnielsen1
October 14th, 2008, 01:55 PM
I think Michael Dell must be a huge Ubuntu fan.

Of course!

According to Michael Dell (http://www.engadget.com/2007/01/31/rollins-resigns-michael-back-as-dell-ceo/)'s lineup of personal rigs, his prized Precision M90 is currently humming along with a copy of Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn (http://www.engadget.com/2007/04/19/ubuntu-7-04-feisty-fawn-released/) at the helm, garnering speculation that it's at least in the hunt for being a Linux variety available on its forthcoming machines. Moreover, it appears that Michael doesn't shy away from open-source software at all, as VMWare Workstation 6 Beta, OpenOffice.org 2.2, Automatix2, Firefox 2.0.0.3, and Evolution Groupware 2.10 are also seeing a good bit of personal use.
http://www.engadget.com/2007/04/20/michael-dell-using-ubuntu-on-his-personal-machine/

Bölvağur
October 14th, 2008, 02:00 PM
I am disapointed in all of you, now I really feel like I want the Dell Inspiron Mini 9 and the T-Mobile G1 phone. Normally no adverticements affect me like this :( you've turned me into a sheep and you are my imagionary flock

forrestcupp
October 14th, 2008, 02:07 PM
It's great that Dell advertised Ubuntu, but I guess I'm not quite as excited about it as the rest of you. If they would only advertise a computer that doesn't have crappy specs reminiscent of my computer from 10 or 15 years ago, then maybe I'd be more excited about it.

They need to be advertising computers that actually have the ability to compete with Windows and Mac computers instead of promoting computers that are just good enough to browse the web. In my opinion, this advertisement just adds to the image that people already have of Linux, that it is inferior to serious OS's and not good enough for a power user.

Sealbhach
October 14th, 2008, 02:19 PM
In my opinion, this advertisement just adds to the image that people already have of Linux, that it is inferior to serious OS's and not good enough for a power user.

I don't know. I think a lot of people know that the server market is dominated by Linux. I don't think they view it as inferior, I think the only prejudice they might have is that it's too difficuly for them.

forrestcupp
October 14th, 2008, 03:51 PM
I don't know. I think a lot of people know that the server market is dominated by Linux. I don't think they view it as inferior, I think the only prejudice they might have is that it's too difficuly for them.

It's definitely viewed as inferior in the desktop world. I know IT guys that don't even realize that Linux has progressed beyond the command line. This advertisement is for the desktop market, not the server market. That's why I think if they're going to advertise it, advertise it in its full glory, not as some glorified WebTV box.

semitone36
October 14th, 2008, 04:01 PM
No way... No "Dell recommends Vista Home Premium" in the upper right hand corner? This is amazing.

They really DO care...[-o<

roaldz
October 14th, 2008, 04:12 PM
On the "where is it made, it's Compal"-question:

I own a 1-year-old compal 15.4" laptop, and the hardware is very decent. Compal is not bad hardware, and yes, it's taiwanese.
Only my battery is dying, but I found out it's a Sony Battery

markba
October 14th, 2008, 04:41 PM
I'm waiting for ages when this machine can be ordered in Holland. It seems like everyone can buy this machine, except us. :(

What's worse, rumours are that *when* this machine is available, it's only with XP. :( :(

But we'll see if it really turns out that way...

Greyed
October 14th, 2008, 05:02 PM
It's great that Dell advertised Ubuntu, but I guess I'm not quite as excited about it as the rest of you. If they would only advertise a computer that doesn't have crappy specs reminiscent of my computer from 10 or 15 years ago, then maybe I'd be more excited about it.

Whutchutalkin'boutWillis!?

Let's see, in this corner we have my ~10 year old Dell Latitude CPx. This is from a review from 2000, "The Latitude CPx J650GT is about the top of the line. The review unit came with 650 MHz Pentium III mobile processor running on the 440BX mobile chipset with 128 MB of memory, 6 GB hard drive (models up to 18 GB are available), and a 14.1-inch TFT screen with a resolution of 1024 by 768 pixels. The screen is driven by an ATI "Mobility M1" graphics chipset with 64-bit graphics accelerator, 8 MB of video SDRAM (synchronous DRAM), and runs on a 2X AGP (accelerated graphics port) bus." (From http://www.computerwriter.com/Star/2000/apr/cw042000%20Dell%20Latitude%20CPx%20J650GT.htm )

650Mhz PIII, 128Mb of memory, 6Gb HD, 14.1" screen up to 1024x768, a 64-bit 8MB video card on a 2X AGP port. Oh, and not mentioned here, a blazing 100Mhz FSB.

In this corner we have the Dell Inspiron Mini 9 w/a 1.6Ghz Atom processor, 533Mhz FSB, up to 1Gb of RAM (512Mb minimum), 8Gb SSD, wireless built in, and an Intel graphics chip that has up to 224 MB maximum video memory running on a 256-bit graphics core running at 400MHz.

The only thing that the CPx has over the Mini 9 is the display; 14.1" 1024x768 vs. an 8.9" 1024x600 display. Of course the CPx is a tad larger and heavier than the Mini 9's 2.3lbs.

So, the Laptop I've kept going for 8+ years now has 1Ghz less CPU speed, 433Mhz less FSB, came with 1/4th the memory standard, maxed out at 1/2 the max of the mini-9 (which is it's standard configuration) came with a smaller, mechanical, HD, less powerful graphics, no wireless and at least double the weight and you're saying that the Mini-9 is only comparable to that machine? Oh, and did I mention the CPx sold for 2-3 times what the Mini 9 is going for?

I'm seriously considering a Mini 9 instead of a Inspiron 1525N because it is approximately $300 cheaper, beats the pants off my CPx and more than meets my needs for a portable machine that can do all of my productivity work for years to come. I certainly won't throw down another $300 for a replacement CPx. :P

EDIT: I decided to explain what my productivity is. Currently I am quite happy with a VBox VM that has 384MB of memory and 8Gb of space dedicated to it. In that I run KUbuntu 8.04 (KDE4, not KDE3) and regularly run TBird, Firefox, Pidgin and some writing/calc work in OOo which ends up on a Mercurial store. So this is a tad more than what you call a "glorified WebTV box". ;)

LaRoza
October 14th, 2008, 07:08 PM

They need to be advertising computers that actually have the ability to compete with Windows and Mac computers instead of promoting computers that are just good enough to browse the web. In my opinion, this advertisement just adds to the image that people already have of Linux, that it is inferior to serious OS's and not good enough for a power user.

The Dell 910 isn't for power users ;) It is ulta portable and light. Not the MacBook Air no-ports-except-one-usb-port-and-loads-of-things-you-need-including-a-hub-to-use-it, but with actually useful hardware. Sure, it is not as powerful, but the Air is like a V12 in a go cart and the cost of a V2.

forrestcupp
October 14th, 2008, 09:27 PM
Whutchutalkin'boutWillis!?I know I was exaggerating a little. But the advertisement says 512 MB RAM. No one should ever advertise that unless it's for a PDA or smart phone.

The Dell 910 isn't for power users ;) It is ulta portable and light. Not the MacBook Air no-ports-except-one-usb-port-and-loads-of-things-you-need-including-a-hub-to-use-it, but with actually useful hardware. Sure, it is not as powerful, but the Air is like a V12 in a go cart and the cost of a V2.I know this thing has its uses, even if it's not for me. I just wish they'd also advertise a power user computer to show the world that Linux can compete in any arena.

MaxIBoy
October 14th, 2008, 09:37 PM
That's what I was talking about when I said that Linux was being treated as a disclaimer. They've shown it on what is basically just a toy, as if they had some extra Linux CDs sitting around and they're trying to foist them off on the little kiddies.

The way they're acting about this, you'd think they had just gotten out of denial about installing Linux on their computers. It's as if they expect us to congratulate them about admitting they have a problem.

The more I think about this, the more I'm insulted. Then again, I'm a paranoid kind of person.

LaRoza
October 14th, 2008, 09:43 PM
I know this thing has its uses, even if it's not for me. I just wish they'd also advertise a power user computer to show the world that Linux can compete in any arena.

They had an online poll about having Linux on Alienware computers. I did my part, did you?

:-)

smoker
October 14th, 2008, 09:47 PM
i notice an 'E-Value XXXXXXXX' number on the advert, is this for a further discount, anyone know?

oswaldkelso
October 14th, 2008, 10:04 PM
Does it have a hsdpa modem fitted like the one on offer at vodaphone. A slot behind the battery?

http://reviews.zdnet.co.uk/hardware/notebooks/0,1000000333,39508091,00.htm

kevdog
October 15th, 2008, 12:02 AM
I respect your opinion -- but comeon -- give me a DVD player. I dont expect my portable DVD player to have a keyboard, however I DO EXPECT my PC (even a portable netbood PC) to have a DVD player. Call it past experience. To add a DVD player would have been nominal to the costs and it wouldn't have increased the weight to any real degree. What the heck are you going to do with a netbook anyway?? Browse the internet, and likely watch DVDs. Does this even have any outputs such as USB for a printer or USB stick? Without some basic functionality -- I don't find it very useful.

aysiu
October 15th, 2008, 12:06 AM
To add a DVD player would have been nominal to the costs and it wouldn't have increased the weight to any real degree. I don't know if that's true, but it would certainly affect the size. My netbook is tiny, and I can't imagine anywhere that an optical drive would fit.
What the heck are you going to do with a netbook anyway?? Browse the internet, and likely watch DVDs. Does this even have any outputs such as USB for a printer or USB stick? Without some basic functionality -- I don't find it very useful. Well, it's not useful for you. That's fine. It doesn't have to be. If you don't want a netbook, don't get one. I use my Eee PC as my main computer. I have no other computer. I use it to browse the internet, email, do some light word processing and website maintenance, transfer music to my Sansa Clip, and organize photos. It serves those purposes quite well and has three USB ports available.

When I want to watch DVDs, I use my wife's PS3 and our real TV (not the 7" screen on my netbook).

LaRoza
October 15th, 2008, 12:10 AM
I respect your opinion -- but comeon -- give me a DVD player. I dont expect my portable DVD player to have a keyboard, however I DO EXPECT my PC (even a portable netbood PC) to have a DVD player. Call it past experience. To add a DVD player would have been nominal to the costs and it wouldn't have increased the weight to any real degree. What the heck are you going to do with a netbook anyway?? Browse the internet, and likely watch DVDs. Does this even have any outputs such as USB for a printer or USB stick? Without some basic functionality -- I don't find it very useful.

It has three USB ports.

I don't know of any netbooks with optical drives. The MacBook Air, has one USB port for instance, yet is several times the cost of the Dell 910.

On another thread here, people said DVD's and CD's are obsolete for the most part, like floppy drives. On any given day, I probably won't use my DVD drives on my computer (desktop) at all.

The most common tasks involve USB, keyboard, and internet. The netbook has wireless, wired and all that.

LaRoza
October 15th, 2008, 12:12 AM
Well, it's not userful for you. That's fine. It doesn't have to be. If you don't want a netbook, don't get one.
+1 It is sort of saying what is the point of an XBox if you can't play PS3 games on them.

I use my Eee PC as my main computer. I have no other computer. I use it to browse the internet, email, do some light word processing and website maintenance, transfer music to my Sansa Clip, and organize photos. It serves those purposes quite well and has three USB ports available.

Your main computer? Wow.

73ckn797
October 15th, 2008, 12:13 AM
would help if the laptop wasn't so ugly.

wah

aysiu
October 15th, 2008, 12:28 AM
Your main computer? Wow.
Well, I cheat a little bit.

My wife and I do buy a lot of music as MP3s from Amazon.com, but we also are old-school fans of CDs you buy in music stores, and I need to use my work Windows computer (desktop) or my wife's Macbook Pro in order to rip those CDs. I guess if I had no access to a work computer or my wife's laptop, I would need to buy an external optical drive to rip the CDs, but I still don't see how an optical drive would fit inside a netbook.

smoker
October 15th, 2008, 12:40 AM
I don't know of any netbooks with optical drives.

to me that's one of the major attractions - having no mechanical parts :)

(unless you count the keyboard and hinges, as mechanical, of course):)

73ckn797
October 15th, 2008, 01:42 AM
to me that's one of the major attractions - having no mechanical parts :)

(unless you count the keyboard and hinges, as mechanical, of course):)

Technically they are!! :lolflag::guitar:

Greyed
October 15th, 2008, 01:46 AM
They had an online poll about having Linux on Alienware computers. I did my part, did you?

:-)

I dunno if that is such a good idea. Alienware was originally billed as the high--end of gamer systems. Linux' weakest point is gaming. So putting Linux on a high-end gaming rig prior to actually being able to play most games on it seems like setting it up for failure.

LaRoza
October 15th, 2008, 01:47 AM
I dunno if that is such a good idea. Alienware was originally billed as the high--end of gamer systems. Linux' weakest point is gaming. So putting Linux on a high-end gaming rig prior to actually being able to play most games on it seems like setting it up for failure.

Gamers would know what OS they need for their games. There are also Linux gamers.

barbedsaber
October 15th, 2008, 02:22 AM
There are also Linux gamers.

like me

kevdog
October 15th, 2008, 03:06 AM
I cant think of the exact product before, and before that, but this entire experiment with "net-only" pc's has been tried before, and the experiment keeps repeating itself.

I love the size of this machine, however I personally would find it too small to do anything useful except when I travel -- in that the weight and portability would be a huge asset. Unfortunately, when I travel on airplanes I like to watch DVDs, and its not worth it to me to carry two devices. I didnt buy the MacBook Air, and Id be interested to see its market penetration (figures that we will probably not get). I guess I'll still stick with the Iphone if I want to browse the internet while traveling. Yea the screen is small, but its functional.

Greyed
October 15th, 2008, 03:32 AM
like me

And me, which is why I would be concerned about it. As much as I would love to have not only an Alienware gaming rig but one with Linux on it I am just being realistic as to the unreasonable expectations people place on Linux. I just think that pushing Linux on a high-end generic gaming platform would do more harm than good at the present time.

zmjjmz
October 15th, 2008, 04:05 AM
And me, which is why I would be concerned about it. As much as I would love to have not only an Alienware gaming rig but one with Linux on it I am just being realistic as to the unreasonable expectations people place on Linux. I just think that pushing Linux on a high-end generic gaming platform would do more harm than good at the present time.

Well, most Linux games don't really have high graphics demands.
99% of the great Linux games out there could do with a relatively underpowered card (compared to the water cooled triple SLI GPUs some gamers are known to have).
The exception to this is WINE, which often uses a bit more GPU to do play Windows games (or use Direct3D)

cardinals_fan
October 15th, 2008, 04:17 AM
Linux itself will not be a selling point any time soon. Think about Apple. Since their switch to Intel processors, a Mac really isn't that different from a non-Mac (come on, they're both PCs!). OS X is obviously very different from Windows, but it is in many ways similar to a Linux system (there are some major core differences, but I doubt if the majority of users would notice them). So why is Apple successful? Three reasons:

1. They have an excellent marketing campaign. I am personally turned off and annoyed by almost every Apple ad I see, but they have been very popular with the majority of people.

2 (the big one). Their OS is specifically made to work with their hardware. When Mac users talk about the way their systems "just work" (as they invariably seem to), this is what they really mean. Apple has designed their software and hardware together for optimal compatibility and seamlessness.

3. They include a large amount of software out-of-the-box. I've never been very impressed by iPhoto or iTunes or i*, but there's no denying that they beat Windows Picture and Fax Viewer by a hefty margin.

Most people don't think of it as a choice between OS X and Windows. Most of them think of it as a choice between a Mac and a "PC". This is what Ubuntu would need to succeed in the capacity you suggest - a major OEM willing to market a "new" kind of computer. Canonical would need to get all their people working on developing the distro with a specific emphasis on that particular hardware.

I know I was exaggerating a little. But the advertisement says 512 MB RAM. No one should ever advertise that unless it's for a PDA or smart phone.

I know this thing has its uses, even if it's not for me. I just wish they'd also advertise a power user computer to show the world that Linux can compete in any arena.
I have 1 gig, but I've only gone over 512 MB used maybe four times this year.

I personally think that Linux will expand in a very different direction from what most people here appear to believe. Microsoft seems happy to continue their trend of bloating up their OS to match the latest hardware. I won't necessarily fault them for that - it's a logical business decision (and gets them brownie points from the hardware manufacturers). However, it leaves one major flaw: most new Windows systems take quite a while to boot up. Remember Asus' ExpressGate (using Splashtop)? I expect similar systems to become very common - perhaps even ubiquitous - on laptops.

@aysiu: What window manager do you use on that Eee?

aysiu
October 15th, 2008, 04:31 AM
@aysiu: What window manager do you use on that Eee? Well, for the first six months I used IceWM. Recently I installed Intrepid and have stuck with Gnome since then. I may switch back to IceWM later. Who knows?

cardinals_fan
October 15th, 2008, 04:36 AM
Well, for the first six months I used IceWM. Recently I installed Intrepid and have stuck with Gnome since then. I may switch back to IceWM later. Who knows?
I figure it might do pretty well with a tiling WM... *imagines*

zmjjmz
October 15th, 2008, 04:42 AM
I figure it might do pretty well with a tiling WM... *imagines*

I think anything with a small screen should use a tiling or a tabbed WM.

LaRoza
October 15th, 2008, 11:25 AM
I cant think of the exact product before, and before that, but this entire experiment with "net-only" pc's has been tried before, and the experiment keeps repeating itself.

But it isn't "net only". It is a fully armed and operational...operating system.

It lacks an optical drive, true, however, it also lacks a floppy drive.

I love the size of this machine, however I personally would find it too small to do anything useful except when I travel -- in that the weight and portability would be a huge asset.
That is probably true. I wouldn't want to use its screen and keyboard for coding. Luckily, I could connect a keyboard and a monitor to it (it has the ports). That would be funny wouldn't it?

Unfortunately, when I travel on airplanes I like to watch DVDs, and its not worth it to me to carry two devices.
That says "portable dvd player" or "regular laptop" to me.

Greyed
October 15th, 2008, 11:41 AM
That is probably true. I wouldn't want to use its screen and keyboard for coding. Luckily, I could connect a keyboard and a monitor to it (it has the ports). That would be funny wouldn't it?

Not really. My CPx spent most of its life in a dock sitting under a 15" CRT w/mouse and keyboard hooked up to it. Personally when it comes to productivity I find that I like to have the full-sized tools at my desk but want the central device to be mobile (and capable) so that I am not tethered to the desk if I don't want to be. I have pretty much made the decision that any machine on which I would probably do no gaming would be a laptop even if 90% of the time it acted like a desktop.

I think the really nice thing about the netbook, if I were to get one (and I am soooo tempted right now) is that I could really see myself lugging it around the house and getting away from my desk where my gaming rig distracts me. I have a 1800SqFt home yet spend most of my time in the same 300SqFt room because that is where my computer is. I'd love to be able to just grab a lightweight machine, kick back in my super comfy chair/ottoman and work on my writing while listening to music out of my stereo.

LaRoza
October 15th, 2008, 11:43 AM
Not really. My CPx spent most of its life in a dock sitting under a 15" CRT w/mouse and keyboard hooked up to it. Personally when it comes to productivity I find that I like to have the full-sized tools at my desk but want the central device to be mobile (and capable) so that I am not tethered to the desk if I don't want to be. I have pretty much made the decision that any machine on which I would probably do no gaming would be a laptop even if 90% of the time it acted like a desktop.

Still...when my keyboard is larger than my computer and its monitor (and keyboard) it would be funny I think. A 22" screen, which could hold four Dell 910s with room to spare.

Greyed
October 15th, 2008, 11:49 AM
Still...when my keyboard is larger than my computer and its monitor (and keyboard) it would be funny I think. A 22" screen, which could hold four Dell 910s with room to spare.

*shriug* Old news.

http://www.apple.com/macmini/

Those minis encouraged you to use keyboards and monitors far larger than it is. ;)

forrestcupp
October 15th, 2008, 04:06 PM

:) Yeah, but whatever it takes, right?

My little boy uses an old laptop that has a blown screen. We set it under his desk and plugged in a monitor, keyboard, and mouse, and he uses it like a desktop. I almost threw the thing away, but decided the thing could still be useful with the extra parts I had lying around.

oswaldkelso
October 16th, 2008, 03:06 PM
Does it have a hsdpa modem fitted like the one on offer at vodaphone. A slot behind the battery?

http://reviews.zdnet.co.uk/hardware/notebooks/0,1000000333,39508091,00.htm

I guess that's a no them :(