PDA

View Full Version : How many Linux users do you know?

Thelasko
October 13th, 2008, 08:20 PM
The details:
How many people do you know personally in the real life, not including yourself, that use Linux as their primary operating system at home?

Me: zero

scragar
October 13th, 2008, 08:26 PM
online or irl?

irl it's only 3, online it's closer to about 20.

LaRoza
October 13th, 2008, 08:28 PM
About 600 000.

Of course, you'd have to define the following terms:

"Linux users": What defines use? Deliberate desktop use? Use in various appliances? Use in services? Use at work?
"know": Do you have to be friends with them? Know something personally about them? Know of their existance and they "use" Linux?

Thelasko
October 13th, 2008, 08:28 PM
online or irl?

irl it's only 3, online it's closer to about 20.

in the real world
No, online doesn't count.

scragar
October 13th, 2008, 08:30 PM
hey, you can't quote yourself if you edited it in, that's not fair, makes me look like I didn't read it.

Thelasko
October 13th, 2008, 08:32 PM
hey, you can't quote yourself if you edited it in, that's not fair, makes me look like I didn't read it.

I didn't, the quote I stated above, was pre-edit. I just made it more specific.

I.E. I changed it from "in the real world" to "personally in real life"

I had to edit the first post so others wouldn't ask the same questions.

PlutoniumBoss
October 13th, 2008, 08:34 PM
He edited in the "Me: zero". you didn't read it. :mrgreen:

nowin4me
October 13th, 2008, 08:35 PM
One and he got me into it.

EDIT: He hardly ever uses it

Chame_Wizard
October 13th, 2008, 08:47 PM
2 teacher,some fellow student and a friend of mine.

david_lynch
October 13th, 2008, 08:50 PM
If you count people who I actually know from real life, I can think of 8 or so. Starting with two in my family, then there's a few friends, and a couple of guys at work.

Of course if you count all the people I know only through the net, as email correspondents, there are scores of them. :)

NoWayBill
October 13th, 2008, 09:34 PM
4 of which are my converts, with 2 more on the way, installing this weekend.

Daishiman
October 13th, 2008, 10:12 PM
Dozens.

Several from IBM. A whole lot of people from my university (in the compsci department around 40% of people use Linux), loads of people from the local LUG.

chris4585
October 13th, 2008, 10:17 PM
I'm pretty lucky, I know 3 people that use linux personally, they are my best friends and happen to be identical triplets.

Gutt
October 13th, 2008, 10:20 PM
My geography teacher uses Kubuntu, a friend of mine uses Debian for his personal server and some random guy I met during a visit in some uni. helped me reinstall Ubuntu. So all in all that makes 3 people :) .

Corfy
October 13th, 2008, 10:27 PM
Well, besides my wife, and not counting people I met through CINLUG, the Indiana LoCo and Ohio LinuxFest and the like, I know one person who used Linux when I met her (she is a published Linux author who goes to my church... I got her to autograph a copy of her book for me) and one person who I have converted to Linux.

kk0sse54
October 13th, 2008, 11:00 PM
Other than my converted sister, i know of none that use Linux. The only person that can come close is one guy who uses Solaris but has never used linux

Linuxratty
October 14th, 2008, 02:12 AM
I know one cause i gave her Mint...She has a Linux user friend.
I met a third one at radio Shack..
Now,if you include all the Tivo users,that's a lot more peeps.

WWSmith36
October 14th, 2008, 02:19 AM
Nobody I know uses linux :(
I hear this a lot, when I get a new hard drive I´ll install linux, I just don´t want to mess with my windows drive.

Does unix count? And if you are using at work, does that count?

Dr Small
October 14th, 2008, 02:23 AM
Besides myself and my sister, absolutely no one.
But, my chiropractor uses Mac, and he's a UNIX fan :D

brunovecchi
October 14th, 2008, 02:32 AM
About 600 000.

Of course, you'd have to define the following terms:

"Linux users": What defines use? Deliberate desktop use? Use in various appliances? Use in services? Use at work?
"know": Do you have to be friends with them? Know something personally about them? Know of their existance and they "use" Linux?

It's ok to aim at being technically correct, but sometimes it's better if one tries to understand what their interlocutor means given the background and context.
Everyone else seems to be responding to the same question, so it seems to be well formulated.

Irihapeti
October 14th, 2008, 03:11 AM
Three. My son, his fiancée, and a minister at a local church.

Of course, there may be other people I know who use Linux but haven't yet revealed that fact.

cardinals_fan
October 14th, 2008, 03:18 AM
One.